Customer reviews

on 8 November 2014
I bought a 12Kg kettle bell from Bodymax to learn TGU's. It has a nice wide handle, it's easy on the wrists and has a nice overall feel to it. My only complaint with this KB is that it actually weighs 11.1Kg not 12Kg as stated. I have a 16Kg kettle bell that weighs 16.5, and a 20Kg that weighs 19.7Kg - neither of these were from Bodymax - so it doesn't appear to the norm for KB's to be significantly lighter than they should be. Amazon are providing a free exchange and if that turns out to weigh the same I'll either get a refund, live with it and be aware that's it lighter than it should be or try to add some weight to bring it to 12Kg. It does make me wonder if that's why it's on sale.
on 5 December 2014
I've bought two 12kgs in 2011 and have slowly built a collection of kettlebells. They are one of the most versatile pieces of kit available. Strength training, or for strength endurance. It challenges you in ways that you never thought imaginable. I can fit them all within a very small space as well, a minimalist approach to weight lifting.

When first trying them out I felt fatigue in my shoulders and upper back that I never felt before. As my training progressed, I lost fat and gained muscle. The swings teach you the hip hinge and allow you to develop a cast iron back. It targets the glutes well and awaken the amnesiac muscle (check out Bret Contreras' articles on kettlebells).

Overhead presses widened my shoulders and taking long periods of time off running had no huge negative effects when returning.

As I built my collection, my strength and strength endurance have grown at a slow, but constant rate that I am pleased with.

There are two movements you should master with a low weight before gradually moving up. The swing, and the Turkish get up (try the Simple and Sinister ebook by Pavel to get started).

But more on the product, it doesn't work if you don't. Slowly build powerful ballistic movements and as a result your core will be much stronger for it.

However there is a large learning curve for kettlebells and different approaches to using them.

Steve Cotter, Steve Maxwell, Mike Mahler, Ken Blackburn, Pavel Tsatsouline or Valery
Fedorenko are worth looking up for getting started. I have taught myself through YouTube videos and there are lots of free program's on articles on this equipment so you will never at a loss for things to do.

Side note: I would recommend Marianne Kane for her tutorials and exercise videos as a quick way to get started and be versatile than stick with a program from the beginning.

Bodymax has created an item cheap in price, but high quality in the field of Kettlebell. Not like those other cheap "kettlebells" that are 4-6kg and you make slow movements in the manner of a revamped 90s exercise show in Lycra.

Don't get caught up in the cultish (comrade) tendencies to help build an identity. This is a piece of equipment, not a religion.
on 3 July 2014
I have bought three of these so far, 16kg, 24kg and 32kg. I was new to kettlebells but not new to training with weights. I started with a 16kg (I am about 85kg male) and although that is recommended as a starting weight for a man in many places, once you have learnt the techniques you will likely buy something heavier, particularly for swings. I use a 32kg now for swings, the 24kg for getups and will be moving to the 32kg for those soon. So do budget to be able to move to the heavier bells as your strength and technique improves. I think the quality of these kettlebells is exceptional for the money, just about enough room on the 24kg and 32kg to get both hands in comfortably (for double-handed swings for instance) and they don't seem to chafe my hands at all, although there is a slight ridge on the handle. The difference in size between different weights takes a bit of getting used to with some exercises like cleans but unless you pay extra for competition bells that is common, and no real issue. Only complaint I would have is that I am looking at buying the 40kg next and the price jump seems a bit steep so instead I might take the double kettlebell route. Recommended!
on 12 July 2014
I have plenty of exercise equipment and weights at home, however, I hadn't used kettlebells until recently. I was really unsure what weight to go for in order to be able to perform the widest range of exercises but after reading around it sounded like 16kg was a good place to start for a man. It is a fair weight, however, I enjoy the challenge and I feel it gives me a really good strength and cardio workout at the same time.

I was so pleased with the first one that I received that I have now ordered a 4kg, 8kg and 12kg which means both myself and my girlfriend have a good selection of weights to use.

Once I've mastered the the technique I'm sure I'll be ordering a 20kg, 24kg and potentially heavier in the future.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these to anyone and if you're in doubt about the effectiveness of kettlebells, just take a look on YouTube.
on 31 January 2014
I now own 12kg and 16kg kettlebells by Bodymax and am contemplating to get a second 12 kilo bell to do double exercises. These are good, sturdy kettlebells that do the job and have a comfortable size. Handle is not too big and easy to grip if your hands are small although I do wonder how big the 20kg bell's handle is.
Cast iron kettlebells are better for your hands - they provide a better grip than the metal handle ones and are therefore easier on the hands during swing exercises.
Happy with delivery - fast for the 12kg, 16kg got lost in transit but got a replacement after a day of writing to Powerhouse Fitness to report the item had not arrived.
I bought a 4kg and an 8kg kettlbell and am very pleased with them. After a small hiccup with the delivery of the first kettlebell, which was promptly resolved, I subsequently ordered the second one. They are well made, most importantly the handles are really ergonomic and allow for excellent grip. Will definitely be ordering more as a progress in my kettlebell routines.
on 8 November 2014
Think handle, easy to snatch. Not the best looking or cheapest but nice addition.