Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 11 June 2017
if you want to see some of the greatest musical talents there has ever been this is for you I doubt there will ever be another like it everyone is good exceptional sets by Neil Young Tom Petty Chrissie Hynde George Harrison Roger McGuinn and a blistering lesson in how to play the guitar by Eric Clapton and then the most wonderful ensemble set where all are brilliant thank goodness it was recorded my kind of music highly recomended
on 6 August 2017
Excellent selection of songs sung by a very varied cross section of some of the best performers around today.
on 15 November 2010
Overall a very good DVD with a good mix of classics and some of the new material. camerawork is also good and has some good close ups of the guitar playing.

Sound overall is OK but the mix of the 2nd lead guitar, Mark Birch, is way too low in the mix, being completely drowned out by the bass and drums as well as Andy Powell
on 22 January 2014
Firstly this is a brilliant concert that has a tangible commitment from every artist.
There are many, many exceptional performances. The viewer senses that everyone was doing their utmost to do their best for Bob.
I have the VHS of this and have watched it many times. To experience it in high definition will be a real pleasure.

So, why not 5 stars? Simply it is that there are omissions. George Harrison performed 'If Not For You'; this is not included.(Nor was it on the VHS)
Neither is Sophie B. Hawkins's rendition of 'I Want You' and crucially, Bob Dylan himself performing 'A Song for Woody.' All of these were on the TV transmission.

Possibly there are legal wranglings over the Harrison but surely they could have been resolved? However why not the other two? I have seen all of them and they are all excellent performances.
There are also several other artists who played at the beginning of the concert before transmission began officially with John Mellencamp. Again, why not these on an extras disc?

Beware the CD as it features even fewer performances than the Blu Ray/DVD. Booker T's excellent
'Gotta Serve Somebody, for example.(Which is on the video release.) I really wish these corporates would realise that consumers want the complete article. It exists out there if you look hard enough.

In summary, this will be great to watch in a quality release. It is a wonderful concert by any standards if you are a Dylan fan or not.
55 Comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2011
Firstly a little disappointed that "Throw down the sword" is not on this release but otherwise this is very good and has the added bonus of Laurie Wisefield guesting.
The visual/ sound quality is also very good and the band/crowd have a really good time. The added bonus is "Wings of Desire" , a track played but not credited on the sleeve.
The bonus video is a little weird but all in all I'm glad I bought the DVD and having seen both Andy Powell's Wishbone & Martin Turner's it is a good reminder of some excellent performances that I have seen over the last year and a wonderful trip down memory lane.
Ballad of the Beacon is one of my favourite tracks and comes over well. For the price a good investment in a classic group.
on 30 March 2014
The main advantage of this reissued concert is that the Behind the Scenes Bonus Feature contains more footage than hitherto, but the main concert is deprived of three performances that are now transferred to Bonus Live Performances; but, pray tell me, how is that a "BONUS" when they are not new, merely placed elsewhere?

Perhaps the modest booklet, with text by Bill Flanagan and photographs from the concert is the most attractive feature of this re-issue, but I must confess to being somewhat underwhelmed by the new product.
on 3 March 2012
Bought this on the strength of the other reviews (albeit very cheap at £4.47), but I have to say it is very disappointing.

Second guitarist Martin Birch is all but inaudible - I think he will have been pretty hacked off he ever saw the DVD! I only hope the audience had a better mix.

I was looking forward to seeing (and hearing) Laurie Wisefield again, but he was only marginally louder than Martin Birch.

All in all, I think barely worth even £4.47. My advice, if you want some top quality live Ash, is to buy "Live In Hamburg", which is far, far superior!

ps. Andy Powell is as brilliant as ever, and at least you can hear him!
on 4 May 2014
I am not really a tribute fan but this is really good and a pleasure to watch and listen too. All the great Dillon songs are on it. The only artist I did not enjoy was Sinead O'Connor who I am not sure why she appeared. Put that appearance aside its very enjoyable to watch and listen too.
on 3 March 2016
Sinead Oconnor spoilt this dvd should have been left out couldnt believe she would stand on stage and smoke rather than join in
on 25 May 2014
I bought this DVD because I have never had the opportunity to see Bob Dylan in concert and having been a fan since I was 17 I thought the added bonus of additional artists would make an entertaining few hours.
I enjoyed the majority of the concert, the sound was good, we have wired up our DVD recorder to our speakers which made it feel like you were there with them all. The picture quality after the enhancement from the VHS version, was also first class. However it takes quite some time to get through the big names before we see Bob or Zimmy as he is known to his friends, appear on stage. When he did turn up his actual performance time was quite limited which I felt was not enough; apparently when concert was broadcast it went on for 4 hours.
Nevertheless, seeing old favourites like the Cash family & George Harrison, who for me stole the stage,you can see he was clearly enjoying playing with old friends performing wonderfully written and meaningful songs.
Lou Reed's musical rendition was more in Lou Reed style than Bob Dylan, plus he was the only artist who failed to memorise the lyrics and had to read from a music stand!
Eric Clapton showed them all how to play guitar in his usual relaxed style while a surprise appearance from Roger McQuinn from the Byrds performed a brilliant version of Mr Tambourine Man. I particularly enjoyed Neil Young's performance of 'All along the Watchtower'too.
Sinead O'Conner's slot was spoiled by the audience booing her when she walked on stage. Instead of just ignoring them she decided not to sing her allocated song, but in response gave an incantation of Bob Marley's 'War'. Other than that slightly uncomfortable moment the evening passed with flying colours, smacking of a concert well put together resulting in an enjoyable night for all concerned. Sad though to see so many time-served musicians no longer with us, we will not see their like again.
Would recommend to others for a good Saturday night in!