TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 October 2017
Lucinda defies categorisation to me. A lot of people may say she's 'Country' or 'Folk', but I don't like 'Country' or 'Folk' so she can't be them because I just love everything about her, from her songwriting skills..... to their arrangements....... to her great way of expressing stuff through the inflections in her voice.....to the way she covers other peoples tunes so as to completely own them. A complete lack of false virtuous tweeness helps too. I have 10 of her albums to date but I've now downloaded the 'deluxe edition' of her eponymous album as it captures a load more of the various shades of her performing styles, both in the studio and live. She does very little wrong in my opinion and can kick up some Bluegrass and ( supposedly ) Country dust as easily as as some speakeasy Blues at the flip of a coin, and it all sounds like no one else but her. I did tell a little lie about not liking all Country And Folk because I like Diana Williams too ( maybe it's because her voice has strong character too ).

Eamonn
on 31 January 2015
I brought this record by a happy accident (intended to order 'Sweet Old World') but I think this one is even better, a very consistent catchy melodic album that ranks to my mind as still her her best although not without criticism. The albums only cover 'I Asked for Water (He Gave Me Gasoline)' although not unduly unpleasant seems without good reason and to jar against the rest of the tracks, whilst 'Like a Rose' would have been a better closing track to side one as it rather interrupts the flow but hey these are minor quibbles.
on 28 March 2014
As a fairly recent convert to Lucinda Williams, and an avid Spotify user, I'd built a playlist of all her albums -- except this one, her third, which remained tantalisingly unavailable. I bought it from Amazon and was very pleased indeed - it's quite unlike the rest of her stuff, more country-rock than country, marvellous arrangements, hot and heavy guitar sounds, and great songs. A classic to compete with Linda Ronstadt's Heart Like A Wheel.
3 people found this helpful
on 15 May 2016
Loving practically everything LW puts out. Whilst very different to later work, I love this, new and raw and a kick in the ass to modern country tripe. "I just wanna see you so bad" - poppy but great. It was a country compilation with "metal firecracker" on it that got me into LW, and no looking back. Was lucky enough to see her and the band at the Brooklyn Bowl in January 2016, one of the best gigs I have ever been to. What a long career, and now riding the wave. Go out and trawl the back catalogue...it's a mass of heart wrenching, gritty country and rock n roll.
on 15 July 2016
A very good CD, indicating where Lucinda Williams would go in the future. Includes "Passionate kisses". DVD for good measure!
on 21 April 2016
I heard a track from this CD on Sky Tv drama, The Affair [ Brilliant Series. Must Watch ]. This album has some brilliant tracks, I would definitely buy more of her stuff. I would highly recommend
on 25 February 2014
Lucinda Williams is a great talent just discovered by myself . I hate American Country music as a rule but Lucinda has much more depth to her songs than the usual claptrap churned out from that particular genre . You can't put her music into a convenient box all tied up with string , give her CDs a try you may be surprised .
One person found this helpful
on 3 April 2014
The original album is slightly dated but still great music. The bonus album for some reason doesn't sound as dated. the two together a great buy.
One person found this helpful
on 12 December 2016
Awesome music, awesome, awesome.awesome!!
on 7 April 2017
Highly recommend this earlier album by Lucinda.One of my favourite songwriters