on 7 April 2014
If you like choral works from the the Russian Orthodox church I would normally recommend a choir from Russia or one of its former satellites in the old USSR. This is the exception.The choir is warm and accurate and has the "Sound" of a Russian choir which is beyond just singing the Russian verse.Congratulations to all involved with the sourcing of the music, and the singing and the production. Finally, do play this Loud and the whole way through, that way it will be with you throughout the next few days,the original Soul music!
on 4 June 2014
I think this heading say's it all. This Choir may be American but sound passable as Russian and what a bass soloist they have. If you have never tried this sort of music before, I couldn't think of a better place to start. Highly recommended.
on 24 February 2014
Those who come across Russian music generally get hooked. Let's hope this hooks a few more.
For a start it reviews that whole tradition, from the earliest days to the most modern, with the emphasis on the classics, justifiably. But the settings of the beatitudes, and Teach me silence, O Lord, are exquisite modern pieces.
And they show it is a tradition - a limited number of elements, and rules - such as all the parallel sixths- worked annd reworked to provide for a true corpus.
Anyone who likes Oktavists will bliss out on this CD.
An essential addition to the Russian corpus!
on 12 March 2014
While I have some experience in liturgical music, I always learn more than I think I know. This recording provided new music and it is performed in a way that evokes and inspires. It is splendid. It rates very high on my personal tingle meter.
on 26 October 2014
Utterly exquisite. This recording has opened a whole new world of beautiful music to me. Nothing in the same genre has matched this first CD though. I wish I could see this choir live!
on 30 January 2016
Great compilation of Russian Orthodox sacred music. A good one to get if you don't know much about this musical genre, and are just starting out.
on 30 June 2014
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC WITH SUPERB DEEP RUSSIAN BASSES
on 27 May 2016
Lovely music very well performed.