on 24 September 2015
This is a reasonably plotted book. Where it could have stood out from the pack of action /adventure/ detective tales it failed for me. Perhaps to highlight the military background the hero is brusque to the extent of being rude continually and in the middle of the book unforgivably verbally abuses his long suffering wife with a testosterone misogynistic rant. I like a book where I can like the hero/lead character in this one I did not. Some authors have the skill to accurately describe actions and set scenes with a minimum of words so their books flow rapidly whilst giving the reader a vivid mental picture of the scenes. For me this author failed in this respect.
I couldn't get into this book, because I prefer well written fiction. In the first few pages we have the main character shivering in his kitchen in AUGUST and later meeting a Staff Sergeant with long blonde hair which falls into his eyes - it is not cold enough to cause shivering in August and a Staff Sergeant would not have hair so long it falls into his eyes. There are other examples, but I have now moved onto something better.
on 17 January 2013
I'm so glad I looked at this book. I saw it on twitter and thought the idea was original, so read the blurb and decided to give it a try. I was gripped all the way through. Part of this was the familiarity of the services background (I was brought up on RAF bases) but that was a small part of my reason for enjoying the book. It's written in a no nonsense style which is, none the less, descriptive enough to set the various scenes and portray the characters well. At first I found the use of the present tense strange for the genre, but i soon adapted and found myself caught up in the storyline and the twists and turns of the plot. A thoroughly enjoyable piece of writing with a tough but sensitive hero and a wealth of depth and excitement. I'm thrilled it's part of a series.
on 6 April 2014
A series of murder/suicides in garrison towns appear to have links to a mysterious religious cult. This is a detective novel with a difference as it focuses on the army's SIB rather than the civilian police.

It's hard to fault for plot, building tension well with plenty of twists and turns. I found it easy to empathise with the main character, Sgt Major Crane, too.

However, the book really needs the attentions of a good editor. The text is littered with tense switches and there are more than a few wrong word choices and the odd homophone too. Shame as this really could be a four or even five star book.
on 2 December 2017
A bit predictable at times but a surprising twist at the end.
Could this happen in England? Maybe, after all many companies use advertising to play on our minds and persuade us to part with our money. Perhaps someone could use similar techniques to make vulnerable people part with their, and their loved ones, lives!
on 11 January 2018
A very refreshing change to have the lead character a Sgt Major in the army, albeit in Special Investigations Branch, rather than in the civilian police force. Tom Crane is a delightful character, and an excellent team leader. This thriller keeps the reader enthralled from start to finish.
on 28 March 2014
This is generally well researched, and credible, and moves along at a good pace, with enough developments to hold the reader's attention throughout. It's not quite clear how the perpetrator could have been elsewhere for long enough to 'turn' the other two soldiers, but that's a minor irritation. More annoying are the sudden lapses into the present tense and then back again into the past, almost as though there was a previous version of the novel written in a different tense, as well as the misspellings which should have been sorted out. But overall a good read, and there's clearly mileage in this series.
on 2 January 2018
Great potential but for me not engaging. Muddled in places, predictable and at times you fell out of the narrative from a great height with clunky dialogue and bad cliche.
Very little character depth or growth and I agree with another review on the domestic subplot. Tirade against the wife unnecessary and brought nothing but disdain for the main character.
As I say, potential. Military SIB, civilian Detective and naive but eager Reporter could forge a great yarn. In this instance though I forced myself to finish and it was a chore.
on 23 December 2015
Fairly well written novel but I found the plot and the characters unconvincing. The whole book really did not hold together and I shall not continue with the series.
on 20 January 2012
This military mystery is written in a very interesting style. Most authors write in the the past tense, but Wendy manages to conjure up her story line in the present tense! I am not an English scholar, but this makes the story difficult to read in some ways although after a while it just seems perfectly normal!!
As a first novel it is really great and I have just downloaded 40 days and 40 nights, Wendy's second story. Crane is a genuinely believable hero, and the story background is very true to life.