on 9 December 2017
I found this book surprisingly readable and absorbing. It's not going to change your life on it's own, but it does give some useful insights into one persons life, and her choice not to drink alcohol after years of drinking. Somewhat inspiring!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 March 2014
If you feel you drink too much, read this! You will never feel alone again. It all makes sense and it has given me the control back over myself. Lucy is a true inspiration !
on 26 November 2015
Absolutly loved this book!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 February 2014
I have read countless books in my struggle with alcohol and this is without doubt the best for me. I could identify with it so much. Loved the earlier book but found this one written in diary format even better. Such an easy read and so truthful, will read again.
on 26 April 2017
A wonderful and inspiring book. Lucy's whole story resonated with me so much due to me having been a single mum with a little girl and a big drink dependency. I cried at so many parts, especially when she describes reading the bedtime story with such disinterest and her little girl being so grateful. It really breaks my heart to think of all the times I was so short tempered/distracted because of hangovers, let alone how it must have affected my daughter to see her mummy drunk. I admire Lucy for telling her story in such a raw and exposing way. Let's face it, being out of control drunk is not pretty and her flashback's to terrible situations reminded me of all the awful situations I had found myself in over the years. Unlike one reviewer who found Lucy to be 'smug' over her present day life, I found it inspiring that she got to be a mum again and free herself from the chains of addiction. It gave me hope that I have that choice too. I had read Allen Carr's book 'Easyway to Stop Drinking' just a few day's before I read this. I understood everything he said but I still didn't feel free, in fact I drunk the very same night that I finished it. The next day I felt utterly defeated and hopeless but then I read Lucy's book and something changed. It made me see things with such clarity, as though I was able to take a step back and observe the futility of the looping behaviour I was in. For the first time in my life I feel excited about being free instead of feeling sorry for myself by thinking that I'm missing out on something. I am so grateful that Lucy shared her story.
on 6 August 2017
This is an excellent book that charts Lucy Roca's transformation from heavy drinker to teetotaller. The sober lifestyle is most definitely a no brainer, but like Lucy it took me a while to accept. Re-reading this book in my 4th year of being alcohol free was more enjoyable as I have lived through the positive changes she describes, I just needed a reminder as to how lucky I am to be living the dream of a life of self fulfilment without alcohol instead of my former existence of self destruction due to intoxication.
on 2 December 2017
Woke up at 3am one morning with another self induced meltdown. Banging head, stomach churning and a flush in my cheeks from the cringing that I was doing thinking about the hours previous that had brought me to this point. I said out loud "I can't do this to myself again" it's been 8 months and I couldn't be happier. Lucy explains exactly in this book the emotions I went through and this helped me realise I had to keep going. There is strength in the words of this book. Thankyou Lucy. Good luck to anyone who decides to commit to a sober life. I can guarantee you won't ever regret it.
on 15 January 2015
This book made me download it and read it.......just because the title grabbed me. I couldn't have imagined it would have such a massive impact on my life. Every word written, every experience the author had and every feeling alcohol leaves her with could be mine. I am only a week in to an AF life but if I can do it at this point in my life I can do it forever.
on 27 February 2014
Just finished this book after reading The Sober Revolution (also highly recommended) and it's incredibly positive and uplifting, just what I needed. After finishing this book I know that I will never drink alcohol again. And I will feel happy with my decision for the rest of my life.
on 7 February 2014
Only until sober for a decent amount of time can you really see the hold and carnage that alcoHELL has on the society we live in.

Now I stand outside pubs bars and look I at the sheep like people standing there pouring pint after pint of poison down their throats and feel real sad knowing that I too wasted 25 years of my life doing this , pure waste .

I wish I could have all my life back from my teenage years and do it all sober , but will have to make do with what I have now ! Great book , great read I recommend it to anyone trapped in the throes of addiction.