on 26 April 2017
A wonderful and inspiring book. Lucy's whole story resonated with me so much due to me having been a single mum with a little girl and a big drink dependency. I cried at so many parts, especially when she describes reading the bedtime story with such disinterest and her little girl being so grateful. It really breaks my heart to think of all the times I was so short tempered/distracted because of hangovers, let alone how it must have affected my daughter to see her mummy drunk. I admire Lucy for telling her story in such a raw and exposing way. Let's face it, being out of control drunk is not pretty and her flashback's to terrible situations reminded me of all the awful situations I had found myself in over the years. Unlike one reviewer who found Lucy to be 'smug' over her present day life, I found it inspiring that she got to be a mum again and free herself from the chains of addiction. It gave me hope that I have that choice too. I had read Allen Carr's book 'Easyway to Stop Drinking' just a few day's before I read this. I understood everything he said but I still didn't feel free, in fact I drunk the very same night that I finished it. The next day I felt utterly defeated and hopeless but then I read Lucy's book and something changed. It made me see things with such clarity, as though I was able to take a step back and observe the futility of the looping behaviour I was in. For the first time in my life I feel excited about being free instead of feeling sorry for myself by thinking that I'm missing out on something. I am so grateful that Lucy shared her story.
5 people found this helpful
on 6 August 2017
This is an excellent book that charts Lucy Roca's transformation from heavy drinker to teetotaller. The sober lifestyle is most definitely a no brainer, but like Lucy it took me a while to accept. Re-reading this book in my 4th year of being alcohol free was more enjoyable as I have lived through the positive changes she describes, I just needed a reminder as to how lucky I am to be living the dream of a life of self fulfilment without alcohol instead of my former existence of self destruction due to intoxication.
on 2 December 2017
Woke up at 3am one morning with another self induced meltdown. Banging head, stomach churning and a flush in my cheeks from the cringing that I was doing thinking about the hours previous that had brought me to this point. I said out loud "I can't do this to myself again" it's been 8 months and I couldn't be happier. Lucy explains exactly in this book the emotions I went through and this helped me realise I had to keep going. There is strength in the words of this book. Thankyou Lucy. Good luck to anyone who decides to commit to a sober life. I can guarantee you won't ever regret it.
on 21 March 2018
Im half way through - often with books I can review at this stage or thereabouts , the factual ones anyway. Im on the road of losing the alcohol addiction and have , as Im sure many do , taken to literature on the subject to motivate. This is the fourth of such reading and it is the most difficult for me to get through. Maybe the author never really got to the place Ive been , for she baulks at the thought of drinking a pint of gin a week - I would easily do that in a night for starters. She seems to have had the ability to go running - an ex-sportsman myself , I could not possibly express an interest over the last ten years whilst under my cloud. It is topic repetitive , i.e pregnancies , weight issues, Soberistas - all very good but it gets wearing. Hopefully things will improve or I might not get to the end. Good luck future readers.
One person found this helpful
on 15 January 2015
This book made me download it and read it.......just because the title grabbed me. I couldn't have imagined it would have such a massive impact on my life. Every word written, every experience the author had and every feeling alcohol leaves her with could be mine. I am only a week in to an AF life but if I can do it at this point in my life I can do it forever.
4 people found this helpful
on 18 April 2018
This book is described as :
Glass Half Full is the story of her journey from hopelessly devoted wine fiend to sober and truly happy for the first time in her adult life.
Only it’s not, there’s no ‘journey’ - it looks like a series of blog posts that jump around from teens to twenties, to forties, back to twenties, etc making it impossible to follow. I gave up not even half way through, utterly dull and unreadable
on 27 February 2014
Just finished this book after reading The Sober Revolution (also highly recommended) and it's incredibly positive and uplifting, just what I needed. After finishing this book I know that I will never drink alcohol again. And I will feel happy with my decision for the rest of my life.
11 people found this helpful
on 9 December 2017
I found this book surprisingly readable and absorbing. It's not going to change your life on it's own, but it does give some useful insights into one persons life, and her choice not to drink alcohol after years of drinking. Somewhat inspiring!
on 19 January 2015
Great read . Read as many as you need to read in your journey to staying sober . These authors are here to help you and I ..Good luck to YOU ..the reader of this review ! you're here reading this because you know you have a problem as do I , so go for it , we're all rooting for you XX
on 11 November 2016
Helped me to believe I wasn't alone in my thoughts/feelings. Entertaining and truthful - Lucy is a joy to read and very down-to-earth in her writing.