on 2 March 2014
The setting for this book is San Francisco (not sure who thought it was the UK) which I know moderately well and this made it easier to follow the general thread of the action. Good characters and a decently conceived story line, if a little bit over technical in its dwelling on the finer points of firearms and ammunition. An interesting local twist on something else to use against Zombies also turned up though! I look forward to the second book in the series with keen anticipation.
on 8 February 2014
This book puts the human back into the zombie genre with its well paced action and characters that you can root onto survival you hope you would find these folks on your side in any survival situation, simply a good read
on 26 January 2014
Survivors of the Dead is the first of hopefully many more books from first time author Tony Baker where we meet Harry Lancaster, a retired cop and now apartment manager, who's world is suddenly turned upside down with the arrival of a pesky zombie apocalypse. Harry very quickly figures out what's happening in his beloved city of San Francisco, and decides to leave and try get to his own family across the country.

Harry joins up with 2 active cops, one of whom he knows from old, and it is this meeting that injects the humour into the story, with plenty of gags going backwards and forwards between the three of them, and it's this that forges a tight bond and an unbreakable friendship that will see them through the apocalypse.

The story briefly links up with David P. Forsythe's Sovereign Spirit Saga series, which it turns out Tony had a hand in writing a small piece for, like I said it is only a brief link but it does have an influence on how Harry reacts to the situation he suddenly finds himself in.

As I mentioned, this is Tony's first book, and already I think he's got a winning formula going here with this series and future releases.
on 19 January 2014
I have just finished reading this first time offering by Tony Baker and it is a must read! This book offered a smooth-flowing, detailed and uplifting glance into the zombie world. When I am asked why do I read horror, zombies, the end of the world? well, it's because of books like this one. The story offers me, the reader, an opportunity to use my imagination (and not the authors), to be empathetic and reminds me that there are good people in this world. Yes, it's not real, yes' it's a book but it is a very good book to read.
I look forward to following the characters in the next book and hope they make it!
Enjoy!!!!
on 20 February 2014
Very enjoyable book. Harry, the main character, is so determined to survive and get to his family. He was born to lead, but thats the last thing he wants. Great action (though i was a bit bored at gun/ammo descriptions) and loved that Harry spoke with Scott from Sovereign Spirit Saga by David Forsyth which i loved reading too. Looking forward to the next book
on 16 May 2014
Ok a fairly good outline plan and adventure although it went a bit too far into the arms for me. A gun lover would been fixed. Well done give it a read its worth it. I learned some stuff and it made me laugh in parts so cant be bad. Definitely glad to have read this but probably wont the second pray
on 14 February 2014
I enjoyed this book looking forward to the next one my only moan is that there was to much time given on technical information.I for one am not really interested in how guns and other stuff works.......just as long as it does :-)
on 31 March 2014
Enjoyed this book although the descriptive passages were a tad to long. I hope that the next volume will move on a little faster. The plot was however better than most.
on 19 February 2014
If you like the zombie genre then I recommend this one. Characters are well thought out and made for an enjoyable read.
on 16 March 2014
Really good bought by mistake can't wait for next. Good characters good buld up plot. Well worth reading this one