on 23 October 2014
I was drifting away from faith when an old friend recommended reading Brian Mclaren. Over the last year or so I have read several of his books and have found that my faith has been strengthened again, once more becoming aware of the love of God for all of humankind. It is a different faith to the fundamental beliefs I once held, but it is now one which is learning to cope with uncertainty and paradox but more importantly a faith which yearns to reach out, to express the love which God has shown me to others.

We make the road by walking is primarily written to encourage weekly study, perhaps as a part of a small discussion group. Sorry, Brian, I have been unable to follow your plan! For the first time for decades I have found a daily time of study and reflection to be unmissable, invaluable and challenging. Each study starts with three or four reasonably lengthy bible readings which has meant that I have read more of the scriptures in the last several weeks than I have done for years. There are no out-of-context isolated verses here.

I've now read about 3/4 of this book and am starting to wonder what I will do in 12 or so days when I have finished the studies. Perhaps I'll start the book again, perhaps do something different, but whatever I do I am sure it will be with ongoing conviction that by walking with God today we make a road for ourselves for tomorrow that will take us deeper into his presence.

Recommended.
on 18 March 2015
I really like this book. It has helped me structure my devotional times with God without being too prescriptive. It's style is very approachable, not cheesy or preachy and is suitable both as an introduction to God (I was going to say "to Christianity", but it's great strength is that it's really about God's character) and as a way to re-aquaint oneself with Him. There are readings and then some thoughts, but I like that there is enough space for the reader to focus on what is most meaningful for them. It feels like the author is sitting with you chatting about what you've just read and helping to give you insights, inspiring you to draw closer to God but not preaching at you. There are a few questions at the end of each chapter which are thought-provoking but not heavy. I would really love it if there was an Italian translation as there are many people in Italy crying out for a resource like this!
on 14 February 2015
Brilliant book that I would highly recommend - and have recommended already to several friends. Thought provoking, inspirational and transformative. Even after several years theology studies at university and more than 3 decades in ministry and I found leaned something new in every chapter. If there is one book on faith, spirituality, Christianity, Bible or religion you read this year, make it Brian Mclarens "We make the road by walking".
on 19 October 2014
Brian McLaren continues to help me on my way trying to make sense of life and live up to my potential both personally and corporately as part of God's immense creation. Also a good one to share with others and ask them to meet up to share thoughts along the way.
on 4 July 2014
Thoughtful: biblical: inspirational: faith in Christ for 21st century people. Make time to pray and think when you finish each chapter. Worth every penny.
on 27 January 2016
Would like page numbers to aid group discussion and comparing notes, hence one star down for publication practicality.
Refreshing new view of how to live our lives. Challenges traditional interpretation of the Christian Bible, encouraging us to think outside of the often restrictive various church led interpretations, and to find our own new relationship with God and then be brave enough to engage fully and live it out as we go.
on 8 May 2015
As a leader of my home connect group from church, I used the material of this book as a study guide. The continuing theme of the book provided a chapter by chapter, extensive amount of subject matter relating to actual passages of scripture. This threw up many a lively discussion between us as a group of Christians, wholly dedicated to improving our knowledge of all things in our relationship with God. With a highly motivated attitude and insatiable appetite for community outreach projects, we become greatly inspired by the power of the Holy Spirit to serving our Lord Jesus Christ.
on 9 March 2015
Approched this with some trepidation, as in, Oh, no, not another American Evangelist. However, insightful, thought provoking and making one look at the Gospels afresh, asking us to reexamine ourselves and what we can do to walk in His footsteps. It advises study groups and discussions which bore great results.
on 24 October 2014
a great and easy read yet with depth and encouragement and support for the journey
on 6 May 2015
Quite good but not enough application to today's world.