on 23 July 2017
I will resist quoting from the wonderful Scarlet Jupiter review on here and add only that the opening to the first track "Birth of an Empire" had me sitting up thinking I am loving this and looking forward to the other tracks which feeling stayed with me through to the last track "When the Storm has blown over" which again I found so enjoyable to listen to. What I enjoy is musicality and a lovely voice and this album ticks both of those boxes for me and is my favourite album of Sophie's the others I own being "Read My Lips" and "Familia" both of which I also enjoy.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 June 2015
There is no mistaking the distinctive sound of Sophie’ voice, so if your reading this then I assume you find it pleasing, otherwise don't buy it. The overall tone of this CD is an upbeat melancholia laced with some international flavours [the Middle Eastern feel to Birth of an Empire and the East European overtones of Love is a camera] and covers a variety of styles from folk, baroque and orchestral [the simple piano accompaniment of Young Blood blending with a background choir at the end]. In all four singles have been released from this CD so if you liked the singles ‘Love is a Camera’, ’Youngblood’, ’The Deer and the Wolf’ and ‘Runaway Daydreamer’ then the remaining songs on here are in much the same vein and thus can seem to suffer from an overall plodding pace, but its an album that will grow on you.
on 26 May 2016
Very different from her previous works - there's a distinct "Distancing" from previous, pop/electronica/disco influences of her past career with a new, revitalised sound. Consolidated with good PR (strictly come dancing) and much-deserved radio attention, Wanderlust is a definite "Step up" from Sophie's last album.

All of the tracks on the album are of consistently high-quality vocals. There's a fairly standard "Indie/Eastern" theme to the songs, but this is broken up sufficiently with two great ballads - the quirky "deer and the wolf" and the albums mainstay song, "young blood". There's not much in the way of dance tracks on the album - 13 little dolls perhaps being the only exception, but the album's mysterious, elusive feel maintains an overall high-energy feel to the album, the bizarre "interlude" only further increasing the suspense of the tracks.

At times, the more relaxed approach of the album can seem a little bit too cautious. The closing track of the song, as well as "wrong side of the sun", are perhaps the weaker points of the album, but the latter half of the album is as good as the first part: "Cry to the beat of the band" has received surprisingly little attention, but in my opinion was the stand-out song of Wanderlust. Overall Ellis-Bextor shows a real artistic maturity in this album, and it's definitely worth buying!
on 28 August 2014
I Have never listened to a Sophie Ellis-Bextor album before, but I wanted to hear what all the fuss was about after the enormous raving about this latest album.
I have been a fan of Sophie's since her debut single 'Take Me Away', not just the single but also the music video which I personally think is one of the best Pop Single Debut Song and Music Video by a Female Pop Artist, in this whole country's history and evolution of popular music.
Anyways... to this album...it's just BRILLIANT!
You can tell this is a very different direction for Sophie, just by looking at the album's cover.
The most impressive thing about this album though, is that Sophie had complete control over the whole structure of this album.
on 1 February 2015
I'm a fan of SEB's dance music and thought I would listen to this to see what it is like. I have to say this is a brilliant album with some very unique melodies and themes. Her voice is able to adapt to some very folky tunes and the strength of the vocals is brilliantly emphasized in this album.
I think it is some of the best work she has done so far and hope their are plans for more similar albums in the future. Hauntingly beautiful music from a really talented and diverse performer.
on 13 May 2014
Perhaps I should have known that Sophie had more in her arsenal besides dance hits - but wow - this album surprised me! I've been so bored with my usual fare lately and this was such a welcome refreshment for my ears. I don't even know if I can describe the type of songs she is doing on this - adult pop? Melodic, yet deep and slightly reminiscent production-wise of the 80s. (but not cheap sounding). She deserved much more credit and publicity for this album than she got.
on 6 November 2014
I got this before going to see Ms Ellis-Bextor at Camp Bestival in the Summer, but had all her previous albums and loved them. This is a big change on her earlier stuff and it took me a while to adjust to the change in style but there are some tracks on Wanderlust that I absolutely love. Runaway Dreamer is a particular favourite of mine (and of my 13 year old son) as is the rather more frenetically-paced 13 Little Dolls. Love is a Camera would be my other stand out track.
on 28 February 2018
For me, her best album so far. It caters for a wider range of listener than any of her other work to date.
on 18 March 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect, ive always liked Sophie's voice but ive only bought a couple of singles before as im not into dance type music. If this is Sophie's own style then I really hope she carries on. I rarely listen to albums all the way through, but I can't skip any of these tracks, I like them all. Please do more Sophie!
on 25 April 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect from this album but I'm a big fan of Sophie E-B so hoped I would like it. It is brilliant, somewhat different but not too much and needs listening to more than once or twice! Well worth buying but if you#re new to her music I would suggest you try an earlier album first.