Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.49

on 23 January 2014
This album has really brightened a dark January. It's a simply lovely, slightly melancholy change of pace for the fabulous SEB. Her voice has never sounded as fabulous as it does on this collection of stripped-back tracks. Her song-writing collaboration with Ed Harcourt has paid creative dividends, every song here is a memorable keeper. I won't mind if Sophie returns to more dance-oriented pop for her next album, but this is certainly a lovely change of pace in the meantime. Heartily recommended for fans and newcomers alike. I don't often buy CDs these day, opting more often for the convenience of downloading, but I'm very happy to add this one to my collection. I hope it's a huge success for Sophie!
on 22 January 2014
I bought the special booklet version, the photos and the packaging are very beautiful.
The songs are good, not the usual dance/electro feel, but great pop music for grown ups. Her voice is very distinctive and it shines on balads like Young Blood and Runaway Daydreamer.
The opening track, Birth of a Nation, is an epic, eastern feel powerhouse, love it.
This is a new direction for Sophie, and it truly deserves praise.
on 23 March 2014
To my mind, and ear, this takes me back to the first time I listened to Sophie fronting The Audience. I have never warmed to the pop-centric Sophie, so when I chanced a listen to the preview snippets of the tracks from this album I found myself rapidly falling in the love.

Her voice remains a soothing whisper on the ear, singing lyrics with a melancholic angle - occasionally brightened by more upbeat ditties - like 13 Little Dolls. I don't mind that break in tone at all - and now that I have listened to the whole album in full, there's nothing here I don't like. Sometimes I have to listen to an album more than once to make a call on what works and what runs harsh against my nerves - but, I'm supremely satisfied.

Set alongside The Audience, for sure, and angled to become one of my favourites of 2014.
There is no mistaking the distinctive sound of Sophie’ voice, so if your reading this then I assume you find it pleasing, otherwise don't buy it. The overall tone of this CD is an upbeat melancholia laced with some international flavours [the Middle Eastern feel to Birth of an Empire and the East European overtones of Love is a camera] and covers a variety of styles from folk, baroque and orchestral [the simple piano accompaniment of Young Blood blending with a background choir at the end]. In all four singles have been released from this CD so if you liked the singles ‘Love is a Camera’, ’Youngblood’, ’The Deer and the Wolf’ and ‘Runaway Daydreamer’ then the remaining songs on here are in much the same vein and thus can seem to suffer from an overall plodding pace, but its an album that will grow on you.
on 20 January 2014
Something different, something better. A long way from previous chart pop, but equally not as 'serious' as life long jazz and club singers. A mix of tempos and of orchestration and production styles from rockin to a bit slushy. Strangely reminds me of Robbie I somehow. Overall good. Next album should be interesting.....
on 24 January 2014
I was surprised that I loved this album from the first listen, and then wondered why I was so shocked at this major change of departure. I've never been a huge fan of Sophie's, but I did buy her last 2 albums on the strength of their singles and was happy I did so. I had heard that Wanderlust was a major departure, but figured what the hell, it's only 11 songs and not a great deal out of my life.
What is not surprising is that everything that has been prevalent on Sophie's other albums is also prevalent here, although wrapped up slightly differently. Understated but sing-along, sophisticated melodies coupled with witty, observant lyrics and Sophie's oh-so-british style of singing. This is typical Sophie, but with all the posturing dance beats and highly produced synth sounds stripped away. It's really no different, just......different.
It oozes a yearning for another, simpler time, and perhaps that's what the 'Wanderlust' of the title suggests. I won't go into all the tracks, but the lead-off single, Young Blood, gives me goosebumps every time I hear it, and the slow waltz of Love is a Camera changing into a manically charged, Romanian Gypsy clap-along that gets faster and faster until you feel giddy always gets me smiling and skipping round the floor. But every song here is a class act all it's own. I just wish it was summer so I could lie in a hay field and feel the sun on my face whilst listening to these gems.
on 1 February 2015
I'm a fan of SEB's dance music and thought I would listen to this to see what it is like. I have to say this is a brilliant album with some very unique melodies and themes. Her voice is able to adapt to some very folky tunes and the strength of the vocals is brilliantly emphasized in this album.
I think it is some of the best work she has done so far and hope their are plans for more similar albums in the future. Hauntingly beautiful music from a really talented and diverse performer.
on 24 January 2014
I listened to some snippets from the samples but that does not do the songs justice, you have to listen to them in full. It really is a very good album, with a more folk/rock feel that suits her voice well...

I loved Make a scene also but this offering is atmospheric, slightly edgy and deeper. It may sound funny but I actually don't know why I like it, I just do and am delighted to see it at number 4 on the midweek charts..

Not sure of the favorite song yet - certainly Young Blood is good but the opening track 'empire' and the more folk/eastern sounding songs have a real hook..

Well done Sophie, really enjoying this...
on 28 August 2014
I Have never listened to a Sophie Ellis-Bextor album before, but I wanted to hear what all the fuss was about after the enormous raving about this latest album.
I have been a fan of Sophie's since her debut single 'Take Me Away', not just the single but also the music video which I personally think is one of the best Pop Single Debut Song and Music Video by a Female Pop Artist, in this whole country's history and evolution of popular music.
Anyways... to this album...it's just BRILLIANT!
You can tell this is a very different direction for Sophie, just by looking at the album's cover.
The most impressive thing about this album though, is that Sophie had complete control over the whole structure of this album.
on 20 January 2014
This album is a definite change in direction for Sophie that has only been hinted at in her previous work. There really is a feeling of her incorporating a 'World Music' approach in this new album which is at the expense of her 'dance music' ethos.

Well worth exploring!