on 2 April 2014
This is another exciting book by John Paul Davis, and like his previous books, I found it compelling reading and hard to put down. The plot centres on present day descendants of the Princes in the Tower, suggesting that they actually survived, rather than the popular assumption that they were murdered. These present day descendants still resent the fact that their ancestors were denied the throne of England, and over the centuries since the time this happened, have plotted against the monarchy in a bid to reclaim their (perceived) birthright. The book explains the historical context well, and then moves to the present day, where the death of the current King is linked to their activities. It centres on investigative work by a TV journalist who uncovers both tombs of Plantagenet ancestors and the activities of their present day descendants. It is also apparent that the plotting will continue, as not all those responsible are arrested, and their sons will take the place of those now behind bars.

As I said at the beginning of the review, I really enjoyed this book, and give it five stars.
on 24 March 2014
I really liked the story behind this novel and got engrossed once I was into it. I found the early stages a bit distracting when the author used different styles of referring to people i.e. by surname for some and first names for others. It may be a bit pedantic but it distracted me initially from the flow of the story.
Having said that it is a really gripping story and well worth reading and I would certainly read other books along this theme
on 19 May 2015
This book and all subsequent books by John Paul Davies should be recorded on Audibles as soon as possible. The listener would be riveted from first to last, as I was when reading . I was enthralled by the imagination of the author and the possibilities that abounded from it. Loved it from first to last
So here I go, looking for his other titles. Liz.
on 11 August 2015
This book was so inconsistent and unbelievable. It jumps from scene to scene - the characters are never developed fully and the storyline is really rubbish. Do you really think the heir to the British throne would be allowed to run around London with a gun trying to aid his cousin in finding out who murdered their family members?? The Kings son was referred to as the surgeon, the prince, the kings son - there was so many characters it was hard to keep track of who was who - never mind calling them all different variations of their name/title

I love a historically based story but this was not one I enjoyed - I really struggled to get to the end then wondered why I had bothered!
on 1 May 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel but I found the synopsis quite intriguing so thought I would give it a go. It is highly entertaining and a really different plot for a thriller, mixing historical events, murder mystery and conspiracy in one. There were a few minor plot hitches but nothing to spoil the enjoyment. Quite fast paced and couldn't put it down.
on 17 July 2015
A good historical romp BUT.. Caveat emptor.. It is VERY heavy on accurate historical detail. Unless you know who RichardII or Edward begat or how the Monmouth rebellion started &c, it can be a bit of a tough read. Notwithstanding this, it is a good read and i recommend it to those of an Historical Fiction bent.
on 4 July 2014
Normally read historical fiction and picked this as a curiosity. Did I regret it, defiantly not. This is a page turner, an ingenious plot and story line. I liked it so much I bought his other two books. A very cleaver weave of history and the present.
on 16 March 2014
Slow to get started, but ultimately a riveting read, mixing history and action in a unique way. The story is based on the premise that the Prince's in the Tower were spirited away by their uncle, Richard III and that an alternate line of pretenders to the throne is thriving in a village in Yorkshire! Full of mystery and action, this is a thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 18 June 2015
not what i expected, but a very good read, kept me up late on a couple of nights so had to force myself to put it down. bit of a surprise really, i thought it would be about william the conqueror, but it's much closer to today's politics.
on 3 June 2014
Bit disappointing in the lack of historical background, book cover is maybe a bit misleading. Interesting idea to have an ex army Royal as the action man (could he be based on anybody "real" - surely not!) Best read as a straightforward thriller and don't expect to learn anything new about the Plantagenets.