on 25 February 2014
If you have been in or around the betting ring its bottle on that you will enjoy this book .
on 2 August 2014
I finally got to read this book having bought it when it came out and putting it aside to enjoy on my summer holidays in France. That's where I sit now having whizzed through this fascinating sketch of a world that the writer experienced in its final glory days. This gives the book a 'last days of Pompeii' underscore that brings a nice depth to the work. If, like me, you have an interest in horse racing, betting or both you will find these glimpses into the world of backing, hedging and laying really fascinating. I also come away with a massively increased understanding of how some of these concepts play out both in the pre and post Betfair eras. The language is clear and brisk so you don't need any real knowledge to enjoy the book. I liked the way the men and women of the betting ring are shown to be just normal working people. Perhaps the book's greatest success is opening up this world for lay review and putting the lie to the myths; Bookies are not a shadow-race of in-the-know mystery men and the bookie certainly doesn't always win. I would recommend this to all racing fans, all those who like a bet, all sports fans and, to be honest, anyone really. There are characters in here that will give any reader a giggle. I was reading bits out to my wife as she sunbathed and chuckles were noted.
on 24 June 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I now very little about horse race betting, and this provided an excellent insight into the way things were/are done, and un be known to me how much pressure bookies where under prior to modern technology.
Anyone who is into racing in anyway should read
on 3 September 2014
A great read and a fascinating insight into how it has all changed over the last few decades in the betting ring. I remember the boards being marked up by hand and bets being logged into the field book but was all too busy not spilling my beer or getting my bet on to really notice the changes as they were introduced over the years. Having attended Exeter and Newton Abbott regularly over the last few years, as well as Chepstow and Cheltenham I can appreciate how it has changed, especially with the introduction of the exchanges. Thank's to Simon I now have a much greater appreciation of it all. The witty stories and larger than life characters can all be pictured thanks to his story telling. If you have an interest in horse racing this cannot fail to interest and entertain you. A quality read.
on 22 April 2014
A great book spanning a period of great change in racing & on course bookmaking. The story is told with great humour & honesty. An excellent book which I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone with an interest in horse racing or betting.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 July 2014
I can only admit to being disappointed in the end by this book. I was looking forward to a story of dodgy deals and evading the police and dangerous criminals but I'm afraid - and it's to the author's credit this really - that this is no more than a mildly interesting story of someone who ends up working in the betting business. Sure there are stories of coups and the like but it is all rather tame and well, businesslike. It's almost like the author is too honest and hard-working to have that "edge" that might have made this book a bit more "racy" (sorry, couldn't resist). I hope that I am not doing the author or indeed the betting business a disservice by saying that whilst interesting, this book isn't that thrilling.
on 19 February 2014
I bought this as I had heard a few of these tales and decided I would take a punt (pun intended) on this book. I don't fully understand racing or how the betting works but I have to say this makes no difference to you as a reader.

It's the stories Nott tells and the way he does so, some are hilarious, others are revealing. This is what makes the book such a great read. It's not all racing either, the stories of his time in the Army will raise a smile.

It does help a little that I live in the same area as the author, but the mental pictures painted made the book an absolute delight, and I very much look forward to his next publication.
on 28 February 2014
Enjoyed Skint Mob! very much. Read it on my ipad via kindle. Fascinating, even though I know little about racing. A glossary of terms would help, but I picked up the lingo as I went along....
on 27 January 2014
This is great collection of stories from the betting ring. It takes you on one man's journey from super keen novice punter to working for various racecourse bookmakers. Particularly interesting is the first hand account of what happened when the betting exchanges arrived and their effect on the racecourse betting market.

Anyone with an interest in racing and betting will enjoy this. It's very well written and you can imagine yourself being right there in the betting ring as the stories are being recounted.

Great stuff and I hope it is a success for the author. It certainly deserves to be.
on 6 August 2015
I enjoyed reading this book although it did become a little repetitive after a while, descending a bit into trying to make what was Simon's job into something more exciting than it was. Not knowing too much about betting really. I did get a bit lost with all the jargon which spoilt it a bit for me as, for considerable periods, I had no idea what he was talking about! Pity really, as was looking forward to reading an account of life on a race-course from a fellow Devonian. I will probably still buy his other book on being involved in the music industry though.