on 6 December 2016
A great read as always. I love being a part of Fronto's great adventures. He's the gritty kind of all action, no bull@&£* officer anyone would follow with pride.
Cant wait to get stuck into the next book. Highly recommend this book and the ones before it so if you're reading this review, dont waste time just buy the book and get lost in it.
on 1 March 2014
I have now read all six of the Marius Mules series and have to say they are the most enthralling historical fiction books I have ever read, I have read the contenders to say that they easily outdo the likes of Bernard Cornwell and others.

I can't wait for the next instalments.

Keep them coming Mr Turney.
on 11 February 2014
I am a huge fan of this series and was so looking forward to the latest installment - Mr Turney has done it again! Well written, great story and characters that just leap off the page! Am going back to book one again while I wait for the next one - please write fast!!!!!!
on 4 April 2014
Great fun continuing to follow Caesar via Fronto. Great sense of being there and what a dreadful time to live for the ordinary native or solider of Room. Turney brings you into day to day life of Rome's Army and it's opposition. Hard to say who one feels for most....
on 1 April 2014
Loved every page of this book, the way Mr Turney brings all of the characters back to Ceasers side is genius, the battle scenes and fights are brilliant you get a real sense of the terrain and atmosphere of the region, definitely up there with Scarrow and Igguldon,
on 29 January 2014
I came across this series searching generally on my Kindle and bought the first three or four on spec. It began pretty well and book by book just kept getting better. I've read all 6 end to end now and look forward the next. Turney's confidence has grown along with his literary instincts, ability and fine research, which sits lightly on the stories just as it should. He makes wise novelist choices yet stays well within the known history or the logic of the circumstances of what is unknown. His characters are nicely rounded and, simply put, the good guys are good company. Marius' Mules ticks all the boxes for an entertaining, intelligent, fictional military/historical series. It beats the pants off Sharpe and compares well with Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubery/Matuirn novels and even George MacDonald Fraser's delightful Flashman. I never thought I'd be saying that of a contemporary writer.
on 25 April 2014
The whole Marius series is brilliant, they all interlink smoothly and are easy to pick up from one book to the next, a good insight into what the military life and also the political intrigues and subterfuge of the Romans in the time of Julius Caesar.
on 24 March 2015
Just reading the final book in the series and have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed them all whilst I am aware that historical fiction is just that, fiction, I am still learning about the period and expanding my knowledge.
Well done SJA Turney
on 27 September 2014
Mr Turney is back on form with this book - as is Fronto.
on 27 September 2014
I love these books, cant wait for the next instalmment.