on 6 May 2015
Really, really enjoyed this book! I love thrillers, especially those with a bit of a supernatural edge, but this is a really complex novel with lots of layers and surprises - very refreshing to be able to work out what's going on, but only sort of, and actually maybe not, or not quite as you thought, or possibly not what you thought, or who you thought ...
It's not the sort of book where you settle in to the story after a few chapters - but I couldn't put it down because I just needed to know more about the characters and more about the very strange circumstances that bring them together.
It reminded me a bit of the '100 year old man who jumped out of the window' - you never know what's round the next corner! Thanks Martin!
4 people found this helpful
on 27 January 2014
From first to last page, this is a thriller that you won't want to put down. It's an action-packed story that spans decades and continents; the characters of Madeleine and the American are brilliantly portrayed and the attention to detail of the plot is amazing. When you get to the end you will be exhausted! I loved it and can't wait for more from this author!
12 people found this helpful
on 18 September 2016
completely lost me in the beginning and I hated the way it skipped back and forwards as it just added to my confusion. I did perservere and I sort of got it at the end but am not in a hurry to read anything else by this author, unless I am ill in bed with a glass of wine and box of chocs and have a head which couldn't care less about coping about a bizarre storyline!
on 5 March 2014
I very much enjoyed reading Martin's first book, A Moment's Surrender. His latest book is in a different style but grips you from the start, a woman on a train with human blood under her fingernails and the complications of events that brought her to that point. Martin is not afraid of unlikeable characters and showing the bleakness in life but they are all interwoven into a story that engrosses and gathers pace as it leads you to the conclusion. The woman on the train is admirably resourceful and so adaptable that we never discover her real name. As the story unfolds we discover that she has had to survive against the odds from a very young age, her fight for life is a battle over time with a fitting end.
4 people found this helpful
on 20 February 2014
I really enjoyed this book, despite almost never reading thrillers. The plot gripped me from start to finish and left me in suspense all the way through. I found myself reading and constantly trying to untangle the different threads and characters' lives.

I'll definitely be reading more of Martin Torjussen's work.
5 people found this helpful
on 7 November 2014
Great thriller with quite an unusual storyline. It is well worth a read as the chasing around and the connections of the characters keep you enthralled.
on 27 December 2016
Started off a,real bore ..but improved and is a good read ..not a page,Turner but a real edge of seat stuff
on 15 March 2014
I loved this book. From the first page I was hooked. I found the characters and rhe juxtaposition of their stories really well developed. I thought the story of Gustav (dont want to give too much away) and his mission was uniquely handled and really intrigued me. The ending was unexpected, something which is a relief after reading a swathe of pedestrian books. Would definitely recommend.
on 20 February 2014
Superb read from start to finish, interesting characters, great plot. I particularly liked the way they were interwoven and would recommend it to anybody who enjoys a good thriller. I had a job to put it down
6 people found this helpful
on 11 December 2014
Loved it,very readable and well written I thought