Format: DVD|Change

on 7 March 2014
Four hour-long episodes (or eight half-hour episodes as I saw them on BlinkBox). As I said in my review for season 3, this final season would have been better if following on directly from the end of season 2. That way, we wouldn't have had to put in so much effort suspending our disbelief regarding the truly bizarre storylines of season 3.

Facing the inevitable, Cathy starts putting all her affairs in order. Starting with sorting out her job, then her family, acting on her wish not to die at home and, finally, her estranged Father. All sensible stuff to do, but the scriptwriters set her about these tasks in some rather ridiculous ways, which leave you thinking "well what on earth did you expect to happen, Cathy??"

Fortunately, the final episode truly redeems the series, and allows the show to bow out with you remembering the great aspects of this show. It is very moving, as expected but, surprisingly, it wasn't Cathy or Paul that made me cry - it was Adam! You'll see why when you watch it, bless his cotton socks!
on 7 February 2014
Only 4 hour long episodes in the final season. The acting is superb, among the best I've ever seen.(Linney being the best of a strong cast) The US release is a manufactured on demand DVDR with professinal looking packaging.Seems like they didn't plan on selling many copies.No worries if you can't wait for the local release though -the quality (video and audio) is outstanding and no blue ray is planned.Just don't missthis entire series
on 20 July 2014
Superb - nothing tops series one and two (which had some of the most wonderful scenes i've ever seen on tv, especially the last 2 episodes of series 2) -------- but if you have loved Cathy (and i have) then you will love this final series - how could you not. Personally i'd love a 5th series ------- cathy in heaven keeping an eye on her family surviving without her!! BUT then this is one of my favourite shows ever - love it.
on 23 February 2014
The complete 4 seasons are a complete roller coaster of emotions. One minute you're nearly choking from laughing so hard. Next minute you're sobbing you're heart out! Incredible acting from all involved. They'll find it hard to better this.
on 23 July 2014
I loved this series and it was a fitting final season. The cast throughout were superb but leading lady, Laura Linney, proved that she is one of the finest actresses around. This season made me laugh and cry with equal measure. So if you haven't watched this series , please do. It is worth getting to know Cathy and her friends and family.
on 26 January 2014
It appears these final episodes of The Big C are to be available on a
DVDR print on demand version only.Amazon US has done a fine job of making these dvds w/ a very good quality video and audio transfer.No extras , the 4 hour long episodes of the finale and a menu to select play all or individual episodes.I'm wondering if this will ever be availabe in a non import version.(Doesn't matter much as I think this is actually region free)Content wise I can only echo the other reviews -maybe the best tv I have ever seen .The best by far of the series with amazing acting all around and some very intelligent scriptwriting.
on 25 October 2014
wow. what an amazing finale to this incredible 4 series programme.
I cried my eyes out on every episode of this series.
so heart wrenchingly good, with superb acting,
cathy is an amazing character.
I think it really sheds light on what the dying and their families have to go through and in the end enough is enough.
just amazing, brilliant........ a MUST watch.
I would recommend this entire series to everyone.
you will not laugh or cry as much with any other programmes.
on 25 February 2015
Amazing story, characters and acting.
To bring such an insight into this subject whilst making us laugh at the same time.
A rare production that brings out every emotion and look inside our selves.
on 7 April 2014
Nothing more to say...one of the best series ever made. Nothing has made me laugh and cry as much at the same time.
on 7 September 2014
A really emotional, and yet lovely ending to a fantastic, underrated programme. I have never swung so much from being annoyed by a character, (Adam) in series 1 to loving him in series 4. I know it's the end of this story, but I wish it could somehow continue. Would love to know how it pans out with Cathy's brilliant lefty brother.