on 20 February 2015
Two stars for writing a book. That's the best I can say. It's like the outline for a bigger book that needs lots more padding. Everything and everybody are a bit stilted and dated. I'd started so I finished but I was very glad to get to the end. If in doubt don't bother......
on 12 July 2017
A real clunky. I just couldn't get on with this. The narrative is trite, the characters poorly formed, the use of language is really plodding.
on 4 September 2014
On the whole, not a bad story. A steady build up to the story end. Quite well put together really. Anyone who likes genealogy stories will like this as an easy read. Perhaps a bit bland, lacking excitement possibly.
on 31 May 2014
Absolutely brilliant - John Nixon has written a brilliant story. A can't put down book. The character and settings come to life. The reader really cares about the characters and wants to learn more. An absolute gem.
on 1 October 2016
Another great story by John Nixon. I love all of the twists and turns of the storyline. Looking forward to reading the next one.
on 13 May 2015
I really enjoyed the human side of the history research. I guessed the final outcome, half way through, but it was still a good read, with reference to using particular websites, that I use myself.
I would recommend it to expert as well as novice Family History researchers.
on 3 November 2016
Another good read from this author
on 17 August 2014
I just love these family history stories. I have not found a murder in my family yet, but it was good to read this tale of someone who did,
on 9 June 2016
Really enthralling! So many strands, all twisted together perfectly! Nice to see a genealogical story set in a really thriving C19 town - perfect setting. Looking forward to reading more by John Nixon.
on 24 March 2016