on 27 March 2014
I was really impressed with Vols. 1 & 2 when Pye Corner Audio originally released them a couple of years ago, c/o Bandcamp.

They both still sound terrific (to my ears) now, but the subequent 2 volumes are more problematic - in upgrading his recording equipment, a vital & ephemeral low-tech spark has been snuffed out &, as his productions inch slowly closer to the staid conventionality of later, disappointing Ghost Box releases & (oh no) the dreaded dance-floor, my interest wanes somewhat.

This box-set remains an absolute bargain however, & the pros definitely out-weigh the cons.
on 31 October 2014
I bought this alum because I love all the 'Ghost Box' releases (and related artists) that I've managed to track down these last few years. PCA fitted the bill and somewhat intrigued me, they seemed a bit 'darker' and less playful than Belbury Poly say, or even Advisory Circle. On first listen I liked it but didn't mentally file it as 'great', if you know I mean. However, I dug it enough to play it occasionally, but still only about once every week or so. Fast forward 6 months and now I absolutely love it! It's constantly on my stereo and I never tire of it, each play revealing something different. The music itself ranges from chilled 4/4 beats, ambient and experimental drones/soundscapes, warm analogue sounds with bits of BOC/BIBIO/WARP thrown in too. Take my word, this an absolute gem and one for anyone into electronica which is challenging but accessible and melodic.
on 23 February 2015
Historical but excellent. More is called for.