on 4 July 2014
Gurren Lagann is a combination of everything you'd want in a blockbuster, and MORE! Likeable characters, good storyline, great animation and jaw... dropping... ACTION!!! It came and set it's own level of entertainment with creativity and stylishness that are some of the best I've ever seen. A coming of age story taken to levels of absurd extremity; a MUST WATCH for any anime fan. You won't believe what you see even after seeing it!
on 7 July 2014
Needless to say I have seen this anime and one of the moives. Yes I am talking about it before the boxset is even released, so I am just going to say that the series is well worth watching, great animation, great stroy, like any anime there is going to be things that you don't like, that is a given, but that is easily outshined by the good parts. As for the movie, it is similer to the anime, but takes it to the next level.

The price for this look in the ultimate edition is worth while as they already said the extras will not be released seperately, and I have no clue when the movies will be released
on 27 October 2014
I won't yet comment on the series itself because there's plenty of great reviews out there that'll cover that part, and I'm only around half-way through myself, but I feel it's important to comment on the actual set itself.

It's a really beautiful set, they have carried over most of the artwork from the American $500 boxset, but it's a little smaller - I actually prefer that as I prefer smaller packaging on Blu-rays. It comes with a hardback artbook which is chock full of concept drawings and other art.

There's certainly a lot of content, the entire series, OVAs, two films and lots of extra content I haven't even been able to see yet.

One small thing to note is that some of the sets have slightly misaligned third trays in the digipacks - mine is a little, but for me it's not enough to gripe about - but some peoples' are quite bad. If this happens to you, All the Anime/Anime Ltd have said that they're happy to replace it for you, so just search for their homepage / Twitter and they'll sort it, in my communications to them they were very helpful.

I will drop a small line about the series itself - it's nuts. I've only watched around half of it, and it sure as heck goes places. If you don't know anything about the series, try not to find too much out about it! I knew a couple of key facts, but this isn't spoiling the ride for me. Incidentally, there is a LOT of fanservice in this series, so if that's not something you like, it might not be your cup of tea! After watching Kill la Kill, it mostly goes right over my head...

Apparently, there were only 2,000 of these printed, so if you're thinking about it, I'd recommend you snap one up asap!
on 14 April 2016
All the episodes and movies all for under £10, I feel like a thief, ive not been able to sleep at night because I paid so little for this set, I hope I will be forgiven, oh and yes it's amazing, steal it on amazon yourself now, but buy some nightol too
on 23 October 2014
Outside Japan, the Ultimate Edition for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann fanbase.
27 episodes, the 2 movies, 15 OVA's, Bonus including the OP's and ED's, animated storyboards and some more stuff never before seen. ALL in 1080p!
English dub, japonese sub, and even french dub.
Plugged in the first disk, OP 1 kicks of and you can choose Play All, Select Episode and Audio Set.
Myself I prefer it original, so japonese subs!
Already finished the first episode, everything is great as expect, gorgeous on big TV's.
There are some problems with the digipacks and some frames of episode 5, 7 and 10 were replaced by DVD's footage since All the Anime hadnt received the 1080p video with audio of those... (link here: http://www.alltheanime.com/gurren-lagann-update/)
IMO, these are minor problems, the anime is my favorite along with Code Geass, between many of those I have seen, IMO tops it all, even The End of Evangelion, SO I wont bitch about it.
Yes, I m expecting the seller to send me some new digipacks since one of mine is in a lower position that the other 3, but that doesnt take away the value of this package, that even cames with a nice artbook.
Reccomend if you are a true fan, if not just go with the normal blu-rays.
99 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 March 2015
I bought this for my 15 year old son. He loved it so much I had to watch it too. It was not worth arguing about. My hubby found it more watchable than me. Its a boy thing. I got through it eventually. Just the film part that is, I didnt watch the TV discs. I enjoy a lot of Anime but this was just a bit too action packed. The best part was the last 3rd which was endearingly surreal.
on 6 July 2014
Needless to say, this is one of the best shows i've seen, ever, if not THE best.
It doesn't make sense, it's completely ridiculous, but that's it's charm, and along the way it's genuinely heart warming and sad to watch.
It's not there to answer a deep question, it's simply about a group of friends trying fighting to live in peace, and growing up along the way.

The characters are amazing, the animation is fantastic, and every episode reaches new heights, going bigger and louder with each scene, all which ends in maybe the most insane ending sequence that i've ever had the pleasure of watching.

Regardless of which edition you buy, it deserves to be on your shelf, and in your life and memories.
on 19 February 2015
Studio Gainax has always given us obscure and unique anime (with their accompanying large doses of fan-service X)) and Gurren Lagann is nothing short of exactly that! A young boy named Simon finds a miniature drill whilst digging to expand the underground village he lives in. Orphaned when his parents were crushed during an earthquake, he finds a brother figure in his best friend, the extravagant and manly man, Kamina. When a Gunman breaks into the village, and a scantily clad chick named Yoko in tow, Simon and Kamina discover a mech with unbelievable power. Together with Yoko's marksmanship and Kamina's fighting spirit, Simon pilots the newly found mech called Lagann to the surface where they set out to make the world for humans once more! This anime was a hit when it was first released in 2007 and its re-release on DVD and Blu-Ray is the icing on the cake! The Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray box set, however, is to die for! As well as the original 27 episodes of the TV series, complete with Japanese and English dubs, the Ultimate Edition includes a bunch of cool, unreleased material too. This includes the two compilation movies made from the series, production designs, "Yoko goes to Gainax" short, art book and much more! I am lucky to be one of 2000 people to own this limited edition item and if you're a die hard Otaku too, get yourself this big gem before they all go!
on 14 February 2015
The quality of the packaging is amazing and the artbook is everything I expected it to be. All of the episodes are great in quality compared to previous versions I have owned.

Bought it when it was cheaper on a pre-order guarantee, but I'm not sure I would recommend it at such a high price now.
on 28 August 2014
While I completely look forward to this release, due to the extensive amount of content included and my undying love for the series, I have found the release date being continually pushed back to be quite annoying. Apart from that however, this release is definitely well worth the hefty price!
66 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse