on 2 March 2017
Like all Coen Bros films you never can go that far wrong and they are true understated masters of their trade and like Fellini in some ways at least, never just go on repeating themselves. I sort of began hating parts of this film yet found myself thinking about it for days afterwards and finally the compulsion grew on me to watch part of it again and then the whole kit and caboodle... which is sort of appropriate as part of the film centres around the kit.. er cat. I think it is quite a remarkable film in all. He doesn't rely too much on cute actors and then put them in cute situations. And when he gets some of these; Clooney or Pitt for instance.. he gets them to leave the stereotype behind and reveal what they saw in that actor to begin with. Or so it seems at least? Long may they persist!
on 6 June 2015
I was surprised to learn this was a comedy. Apart from one hilarious moment with the cat and something missing, it was a sorry tale of missed opportunities and misfortunes. Great music and cast. Many of the characters were not very likeable which made it less comic. I bought it for my interest in Dave van Ronk. I think I need to watch it again and will probably enjoy it more the second time. A very good period piece capturing the atmosphere of the Village in the 60's. Coen Brothers great directors. The extras showing you how it was made were particularly enjoyable.
on 24 January 2018
One of the very rare 5 star awards I have given an Amazon film. And one of the best music films I've ever seen. Oscar Isaac is a genius in this, he deserved to win an Oscar. Justin Timberlake is surprisingly good and understated. Great soulful folk music throughout. Watch it.
on 26 July 2016
Okay, well to start I want to say that this film is an incredible portrayal of early 1960s america for folk singers. My only issue with this film is its lack of a climatic finish, it leaves too many open possibilities but that is my only issue with it. It really grabs you from the beginning and I really did fall in love with it. Issacs performance was just spot on and the Coen brothers did not disappoint yet again. So glad to have watched this. The ovie flies by and you just want it to keep going. Thank you Amazon Prime!!
on 4 December 2016
A must-see for all folkie fans of the early sixties. However, there are weaknesses in a few of the performances and the storyline, but the atmosphere created by all concerned makes up for all of that. Recommended.
on 8 September 2016
Maybe not their most compelling work (or maybe I'm just not well enough acquainted with their reference material, but still some good laughs and the usual quirky characters that make the Coens' work interesting.
on 17 August 2017
Brilliant portrait of New York bohemian life in the early 1960s. Gently funny, sad and angry at times, with a great soundtrack and superb performances all round.
on 30 September 2015
I loved it! Very wacky, slightly black humoured as we have come to expect from the Coen brothers. Loved the cat, too, and hope he got an Oscar, or at least a tin of tuna for a magnificent performance. Fun viewing for when you don't want anything too demanding or 'meaningful'.
on 30 January 2015
An interesting little movie nicely played by up and coming Oscar Isaac. If you know about the early music scene in Greenwich Village in the early 1960s you should love this.
on 7 January 2016
I saw this film at the cinema and this purchase was a present for a friend, along with "Nebraska". I loved the film enough to want my friends to see it. Oscar Isaac is wonderful, Film is a must-see.