on 6 October 2014
Overall I am pleased with this laptop. It's a big step up from the ageing secondhand machine I had before. The i5 processor shines through and extremely large memory is going to take years for me to fill. It starts up/sleeps/shutsdown in a matter of seconds, which is great if you want to get back to some work quickly.
Have used programs such as Photoshop and Bridge with no problems.

Some people complain about the sound but its a laptop so what do you expect? As suggested, using external speakers rectifies this and the sound automatically switches to suit different outputs i.e headphones, internal speakers.
I could have done without a number pad, which makes the keyboard a bit squashed. The keys took a bit of getting used to but seems to be standing up to some heavy typing a month on.

The design is okay, with a latch-free cover so you just open or close it, but personally I don't really like the glossy look around the screen and keyboard, which makes it look like its covered in sellophane. Can be a bit distracting if there is light reflecting off it.
Also,some ports like the headphone socket and power socket are on the sides, whereas with other Toshinba's I've had they were on the back, which saves a little room.

Otherwise, a slick and silent machine that I feel (and hope!) will last a long time.
on 7 March 2014
Speed: 5/5
it takes about 30sec to completely start

Ventilation: 4/5
it isn't completely silent but almost. A bad point is the ventilation is located on the right side, so directly on your hand if you have a mouse

Screen: 5/5:
easy to look, anywhere around the screen

Keyboard: 4/5:
easy to write, but the space bar and the directions are too small

Updates: 4/5:
always a lot of Toshiba informations, who cares?

Programs installed: 1/5
Nothing is installed and the firewall is just a 30 days trials

Battery life:I don't know, I haven't tried

Video: 5/5
Recent games are working on it

Sound: 2/5
Very bad sound, like a metallic or a toilet sound, even with a sound system

Windows 8.1: 2/5
I really prefer windows 7
33 Comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2015
This laptop seems good on paper, but it's good some significant flaws. I've owned two other Samsung laptops and both held up really well (a combined nine years of use, around 50 hours per week). Unsurprisingly, given that this one is the newest, its performance is by far the best. Processing speed and screen resolution are good. The keyboard is also very nice to type on. However there are some glaring, fundamental, school-boy errors in the design and build quality which can make it a really difficult computer to use.

The touchpad for one thing. Never had a problem using a touchpad on any other laptop I've owned. This one is a nightmare. I write a lot of documents in Word, and the slippery touchpad makes it almost impossible to do precise actions such as highlighting or dragging and dropping a block of text. Seriously, it's almost unusable. A real pain if like me you're a touch typist who doesn't want to have to move from keyboard to mouse and back again as you work. Also, the touchpad is so close to the keys that it's hard not to brush it as you type (and I'm certainly no clumsy-fingered idiot with hands the size of bears' paws). I can't understand why they've changed the touchpads - the old ones were faultless.

Also, the build is generally lower quality. Sure, the new model looks nicer than the older ones, but key components such as the screen hinge are weaker (meaning that the screen occasionally flops and it even has a disturbing looseness and slight rattle when closed).

I will probably buy another Samsung laptop in the future, but I'm going to make very sure that I buy a model that combines this model's keyboard with the old models' touchpad and screen hinge. If I can't find one that fits, I'll just have to change brands.
on 2 September 2014
The laptop itself seems ok. Not the best build quality I've ever seen but not the worse either. After just a couple of hours use the touchpad started playing up and after reading about a few other users having similar issues the laptop was returned and Amazon issued a full refund.
on 7 May 2015
We purchased this laptop some 10 months ago, over the last month we have had 3 retaining screws come out of the rear by the screen, the screen now moves up and down, we approached Toshiba expecting this to be covered under the 12 months warranty only to be told it was not, this is not a manufacturing fault????? am I supposed to have loosened them, lesson learnt, do read the very small print (I still have not found the part where it says this is not covered) but after lengthy conversations with a manager at support I have got no where. I will not be purchasing another Toshiba product.
on 14 August 2014
My first Toshiba has just been replaced due to faulty screen. My major gripe is that when I turned on my first Toshiba and its replacement it came pre-loaded with adware and spyware.THANKS TOSHIBA. I could only get rid of it using Spyhunter which cost around £30. To be clear not just one laptop had this problem but two!! Its obviously Toshiba policy to pre-load laptops with this malware.
on 11 October 2014
This computer is extremely fast, and has a screen big enough for those who love to watch movies. For me it worked, as I use it for movies, tv shows and university work. Is not as heavy as I thought it would be, and the sound, of whom a lot of people complained, has to be set up as dolby. An excelent laptop for those who need to work or just want to have fun.
on 16 July 2014
This is a fantastic laptop. A quick processor, coupled with a good internet connection, makes for an entertaining evening of YouTube and other video sources...

Windows 8.1 is tricky to get used to, but once you learn your way around the new design, the speed of this laptop and its nice speakers make it a delight to use
on 23 October 2014
Fantastic bit of tech for such a good price. Upon reflection cannot do everything I wanted it to do but that is due to my fault of not properly investigating the specs of the software I wanted to use (Unreal 4 is an absolute tank on the processor). Other than that it runs all my other programs with no problem, boots ridiculously quick and provides a decent quality screen and speaker set (I have heard complaints about it but I have not experienced any problems with it). Would recommend as a low-end budget gaming laptop or a high end general purpose laptop. Does come with a lot of unneeded programs (as do all laptops)
on 20 August 2014
Having owned this laptop for several days, I've begun to really like it and would recommend it to others as being good value for money.

I must say, however, that I agree with another reviewer in that it isn't the best looking laptop and does look and feel rather plasticy. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who wants to impress or feel they have a high quality product in their hands. I'm hoping the exterior isn't indicative of the internal build quality and reliability of the machine.

I'm far from being a techy, so please bear in mind that this review comes from somebody who just wants a laptop to use without being overly concerned about technical matters. For my usage – using the internet, writing documents in Open Office and image editing with Elements 12 - this laptop more than caters for my needs. It's very fast in comparison to other computers I've owned and I find the keyboard very comfortable to use. The keys are well marked with easy to read large white letters which is a boon for those of us who don't touch-type.

One outstanding feature I have discovered to my delight is that the screen can be calibrated, something I hadn't realised could be had on a laptop. I like a tad more contrast to suit my taste and this is no problem with this laptop. Others have complained about the sound but there are ample adjustments, so don't let it worry you.

To summarise, I consider that I've made a great purchase and am only knocking one star off simply because of the poor appearance and feel of the case.