on 4 March 2017
Awfully slow after a few updates to Windows 10 have installed themselves. We are very sorry that we bought this laptop, it has not lived up to expectations at all.
on 23 April 2017
too heavy, getting very slow after 3 years, overall, is decdent
on 18 July 2014
If you hate windows 8, download and install classicshell to get the windows 7 style start menu back we all know and love.

The laptop comes packed with bloatware, so remove what you don't need and keep what you do.

I believe it also comes packed with some malware that are just annoying and not harmful, so run an anti-virus program (I suggest malwarebytes)

By default the sound on this laptop is damn awful, even with headphones, however this is only due to some toshiba sound altering software so all you have to do is open up the DTS sound program from the start screen and click the big power button in the program (not the laptop power button) although this may seemingly drown at the sound. Another thing to do to change the sound is to disable the surround, volume levelling and bass boost and and see how that goes.

The F5 key on the laptop turns the touchpad off, so if you ever find your touchpad not responding just hit F5 again and it should fix it.

Again by default you can't use the touchpad at the same time as the keyboard, however if you follow this quick youtube guide you will be able to fix that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WUitVkjCcQ

That is all, if you have have been looking for a new laptop to buy to replace your old one or whatever just buy this one, trust me.
22 Comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2014
Very pleased with the laptop. It's quick and does everything i need it to (which includes some gaming). I haven't tried any powerful most recent games on it, but the speed of loading and processing for general games so far has been excellent. I'm sure it can do a lot more than i will use it for.

I wanted black initially, but Silver was the only one for sale. Having recived it though, i like it. Don't be put off.

The software is all very easy to install (does it for you). The windows 8.1 is totally different from the windows 7 and before versions, but like anything else, you'll get used to it as you go along. I've had the laptop a few weeks now and i'm happy with windows 8.1.

I'm glad i paid the extra for the i5 processor over the i3 (about £70 more). I'm sure this laptop will last a fair while without needing to be replaced. If you can afford it, go for the i5.
on 26 April 2014
I bought this laptop to replace my 7 year old Satellite Pro (lasted amazing well and has sold me on Toshiba Laptops). The start-up is fast, the i5 processor is extremely fast and I've had no problems loading multiple webpages and running several programmes at once. The Keyboard is good, screen bright and a decent size. The machine is amazingly quiet, and barely gets warm no matter what I am doing. The Battery life is as advertised, at least 4 hours probably more for light use. I've bought this machine to use at home, I don't intend to transport it around much - it's probably a bit heavy for more than occasional travel. The laptop feels solid and the silver outer shell is a nice touch - the mouse pad is fit for purpose. It's fine for browsing, but for more intensive mouse work I'd advise buying a USB mouse to plug in - it can be a bit jumpy and it's not amazingly comfortable to use

Complaints: While generally I think this model, at this spec (8GB Memory, 1TB hard drive) is excellent value I did get annoyed with all the extra programmes or 'apps' added to Windows 8. I've had to remove most of them and this hasn't been easy in all cases. This isn't a major issue just a minor grumble. Secondly, the sound is poor quality very tinny (actually worse than my 7 year old laptop). This isn't an issue for me as I'll be using the computer for work and web browsing, but I wouldn't want to watch a film or listen to music on this. If sound quality is important for you, this isn't the machine for you.

So overall a very good value machine, I don't think you could get much better for under £550. For general everyday use it's a good replacement for a household PC.
33 Comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2014
This is the second laptop I've bought for my daughter for her schoolwork (first was an Acer). Like everyone else, we cannot get on with Windows 8. The main problem has been mouse 'freeze'. I contacted Toshiba support direct and got a rather unhelpful automated 'reset your computer' type answer. I searched on the net for possible cause/ solutions but none really resolved the problem. Not really sure if this is a Windows 7 or Toshiba issue. So I tried to reset and guess what? Because the mouse didn't work I could not complete the reset process!

So I'm returning the laptop and have to say Amazon have (as always) been first class in providing a full refund without fuss. Very much appreciated. Now I just need to find another laptop - this time with Windows 7 and not Toshiba!!
on 17 June 2014
Not had it long, but it's working well (once I got to grips with Windows 8.1). A couple of minor negative points: the usb ports are very tight and it's hard to get the connectors in or out. Also the DVD drive doesn't open when pressed - I have to click on the drive in Windows Explorer for the tray to open.
on 12 July 2014
All good so far with this light, quick, easy to use laptop with tons of storage.

I noticed some people are having issues with the speakers being 'tinny' (even when you plug in headphones) - initially, I had that problem too, but I found a fix...

In Windows 8...
1. Right click on the 'window' in the bottom left hand corner, select Control Panel.
2. Click 'Hardware and Sound'
3. Click 'IDT Audio Control Panel' - which will open the IDT Audio Control Panel
4. Click 'advance settings'.
5. Click Launch
6. Click ADVANCED

This brings up a little graphic equaliser window. Play with the settings on that and it should sort it out for you. Hope that helps.
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2014
For the price i can see why it's a popular laptop. If it's for home/family use then it's an excellent buy. Not sure what other reviewers mean by it being flimsy. It's sturdy enough as laptops go. The CD drive tray is pretty minimal in structure but as with any piece of portable electronic equipment, treat it right and it should be fine.

Window's 8.1 seems reasonably logical. One or two niggles but nothing major. Yes there are a few pointless bits of software thrown in there but they can be uninstalled.

All round it's a decent laptop for the price.
on 13 June 2014
this laptop is very good, I heard a lot about windows 8.1 and most not very good, anyway I decided to stick with it and give it a try, only ever had windows 7, but each day I use it, it gets better. so all in all this laptop with 8.1 OS, is very good, and one last point, it starts up very quickly, I can recommend it.....