Customer reviews

Platform: PC|Edition: Platinum|Change

on 21 April 2016
This version offers slightly different components that version 12 so compare the two function for function before deciding. The interface changes were unwelcome, but not so drastic that I could not adapt after several hours usage. My Main Uses are for Home Video and PC Screen Capture editing, so expect my comments to only cover this.

Video Editing appears little changed since version 12, some interface elements are repositioned and some have been removed into expandable menus. I has Windows 8 feel to the whole interface which may cater to the touchscreen requirements of some users, although I cannot see serious editing being very efficient on a touch screen, with casual editing it maybe a different matter. It still looks and feels like "Movie Studio Platinum", you just need to confirm where the features that you use actually are where you remember them to be (or not).

Audio Editing in my case is limited to fading in and out at the start and end of videos. This appears to work the same as in version 12. Sorry for being able to comments a depth area of the Programme.

I brought this version not by completely free choice. My Version 12 had stopped importing video correctly due to Video Driver/Capture software "upgrades" becoming incompatible with version 12. After installation my problems were solved.

Editing, rendering and uploading seem to be pretty much the same, but I am still working my way through all the facets of the software so there may be some changes I have not yet found.

All in all it is good for what it does, I gave it five stars because my needs do not push the programme beyond it's limits; other may find this is not the case.
on 2 April 2017
Find this software the most easy to use I've had studios 12,13,& 14 and still prefer 13, it's just so much more users friendly.

The stuff you can do with this software is incredible! Makes it worth every penny, for example if you have a shakey video you can add a " stabilise effect" to make it less shakey!

I use this software a lot to make holiday videos it's great how you can have still images then a video off your phone, or off your camera and put in some background music, then burn it on blu-ray or DVD!

You really can create something entertaining and special to last for generations.
on 15 May 2017
Not bad. Doesn't support green screen which is pretty rubbish and I would expect better from Sony. Adding text over a video seems unnecessarily complicated.
on 23 May 2017
This software if of great value and produces amazing results!
on 24 April 2017
Fast delivery, excellent software.
on 10 March 2016
I have always dabbled lightly in video editing, but have recently started to get into it a bit more. However Windows Movie Maker was too simple for what I wanted, and Adobe After Effects was a little bit too much. This strikes the perfect balance between hobby and professional. It has 2 modes for editing - Simple and Advanced. Both offer some great tools for video editing. If you want to simply cut and merge video with audio, the Simple mode is easy to use for newcomers and professionals alike. But with a bit of patience and learning, the Advanced mode offers a lot more creativity and is of a very high standard.
I purchased this with the intention of using it as a stepping stone to a higher end piece of software, however, I believe this to be my go to video editing tool. I wouldn't swap it for anything else.

TL;DR - Simple, yet effective. High standard available from Novice to Professional.
on 9 February 2014
The main change in this version is User interface with larger buttons adjusted for touch screen monitors. However, making it easier for touch screen Sony had to simplify some functions to not touch accidentally wrong buttons. Now you need to do many simple tasks which was actually Sony's selling point and do it in two stages.

So now you can't just trim your clip and fade it in the same mode.

To make the fade-in effect you need to first click and enable the mode. Then a second later if you want to trim a bit your clip you have to SWITCH back to 'Normal' mode and then back if you want to fade in or out again.

In version 12 those features where available and easy to access TOGETHER by dragging with mouse different parts of the clip. For touch screen purposes developers decided it would be too difficult so they sacrificed all those 99.95% of users who edit movies using a mouse and now you need to do things longer.
33 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2016
I've been using the impressive sony movie software since studio 9 and this is a massive step backwards. If you are a newcomer to affordable editing software then you might think this software is great (and you are right). BUT if you are familiar with previous versions from 10 onward then 13 is horrible! Movie studio 12 is superior in every way! New comers, studio 12 is the smart buy.

Here is a list of some of my gripes! Buttons are too large! It is taking up space for seeing more of my work. Master Audio level? Gone! Minimising timeline tracks? Gone! Exporting in Dolby digital AC3 audio? Gone! Short key to full screen timeline? Gone! Trimmer window? Gone! Seriously, WTF? Different cursor functions/tools? Gone! Safe Zone and Grid overlays? WTF, Gone!

The only way someone could give this a good review is if they have never used a recent older version of movie studio platinum.
VINE VOICEon 27 June 2016
Was going to buy this but glad I decided on a trial. I've spent hours trying to work it all out. I've been using movie edit software for years now but this software from Sony is a nightmare very unfriendly. For instance all I wanted to do was create a very simple sideshow with Hi-Res music that I recorded from an old LP record and wanted to put on DVD-Audio to play back on a Hi-Res CD player. I got as far as creating the tracks then found out I had to install another program before I can make a menu for the titles (tracks) I mean what's that all about? I gave up at this stage and even with a built in "show me" its still very confusing to use and time consuming. I gave up and un installed it all.
on 23 June 2016
Not exactly what I expected seeing number 13 on the package. It is so so basic. What disappointed me was the lack of video envelopes in Movies and only one sound track in DVD Architect, so one can't add different language commentaries. But if you are looking for something for beginners or advanced beginners this product could be a very good choice for you. It is well constructed and leads you from the very start of importing your movies and photos from camcorder or photo camera through very logical steps to making the movie and then exporting it to DVD Architect and making your dvd or bluray disc. Your own themes and menues could add a personal touch to your work making you proud of your presentation.