on 23 June 2014
I bought this after my mSata boot drive died in order to use another PC to restore from a backup. I tried to use it with a Samsung EVO SSD and a Dell Precision M6700 portable workstation running Windows 64 ultimate. The device was recognised but I could not get Windows to see the drive. Instead, the whole enclosure became too hot to touch and I gave up after that, fearing that the (expensive 1TB) drive might be damaged (thankfully it wasn't).
on 2 June 2014
This is a pretty well made metal enclosure and with USB3 it positively flies. Only complaint is that the USB3 connector requires a little bit of a push to connect a cable and even though it is connected it never feels like it's all the way home. Plus having looked at how that connector is attached to the PCB I suspect that this is where the enclosure will fail over time. Push that USB cable in carefully.

But overall, happy.

Edit:
Wow, clearly some people are having issues with this mSATA enclosure, so I'm adding some additional info from my usage over the last few months.

I'm using the enclosure with an OCZ 120GB mSATA SSD (this is exact one I'm using; OCZ NOC-MSATA-120G 120GB mSATA Nocti-SATA II Solid State Drive ).

I've used it with a range of Lenovo and Apple laptops. With Lenovo, Dell and Apple desktops. That includes Windows 7, OS X and Ubuntu and a range of USB2 and USB3 machines. In fact I've yet to find a machine it hasn't worked on.

I too was surprised at how warm the enclosure gets with use, but as it's made of aluminium I've assumed it's just very good at radiating heat away from the SSD in operation, especially given that the controllers on SSDs can operate close to 50°C, which seems more likely than the controller in the enclosure being the source of the heat. Mine is typically used to move large video files between machines so it's not plugged in for days on end, but it is regularly used for hours at time with no ill effects.

Despite my initial worries about the PCB mounted USB3 connector I've had no problems with mine to date, very surprised to hear about the problems others are having.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2014
Plugged in.
Didn't work, and got very hot !
Tried it again and again on and off for about a week and I still could not get my MSATA Drive to show on My Computer
I had to buy a MSATA to SATA Adapter for my trusty External USB3 SATA Enclosure and the MSATA showed up immediately on the Computer NO PROBLEM!
Bought this so this External Drive would have been more portable than the SATA Enclosure.
Flung in bin.
on 26 August 2014
completely useless. Purchased to allow me to clone my current drive to my new one.
On insertion, it simply got hot, and drive was not recognised correctly.

returned for refund
on 12 June 2014
I returned this as it did not work and just got incredibly hot.
It would connect with my pc but transfer rates made it unusable.
on 21 September 2015