on 25 June 2011
An amazing and sensitively written book which I couldn't put down, and which had me feeling I was there with Eric sharing his experiences with him. He was blessed to bless others and gave his all to a troubled China.
Eric was very much more than an outstanding athlete, he was a true Christian, following Jesus, helping those in need, and bringing God's love to everyone he met. His life is an example to us all.
He achieved a lot in his short life, living through much war conflict with many "narrow scrapes"; but how desperately sad he wasn't able to spend his last few years with his wife and three daughters whom he obviously adored and missed terribly.
Eric's heart was in China, and that is where he spent a significant part of his life, and where his body was laid.
A really wonderful book, and a prized possession, which I shall be re-reading many times.
on 9 March 2005
I have read Eric Liddells biography before in a book titled THE FLYING SCOTSMAN and this publication has given me more details about this extraordinary man's life. Eric Liddell put his heart and soul into serving God and running. He was born in china to a missionary family who originated from Scotland. Eric and his brother were sent to a school for the children of missionaries in England and as time went on they excelled in all their studies and most of all in sports. Eric finally made it into the Olympics team and only thing came between Eric and the Gold Olympic medal - He had to race on a Sunday. The auther presents a vivid picture of Erics dilemma and the resolutions that came from his Honoring God before his own glory. You could feel you were there cheering in the crowds for Him and then we see the life and death of this courageous man that the film Chariots of Fire didn't show us. Eric went back to China as a missionary knowing all the risks of the hostility he would face from the Chinese nationalists and communists and the invading Japanese army. Eric died in a Japanes prisoner of war camp and when the news came back ALL Scotland mourned for him. Read this book, watch the film and be inspired.
I homeschool and as such, do a lot of reading aloud to my children. I thought that with the Olympics coming up, and our lack of TV, I really ought to do SOMEthing to make my children aware of the upcoming games. They loved Gladys Aylward when we read that this past year, so I decided to order Eric Liddell, from the same YWAM series. My kids are 11 and 8 and absolutely love the book. We're on chapter 14 now. I had kind of decided quite late that we should order this book, so we have to read 3 chapters a day if we want to finish by Fri, when the Olympics start. By the time we got to the middle of the book, they were begging for more. Today, we read 1 chapter in the morning and another 4 before bed. They wanted me to carry on to the end of the book, but with another 2 hours' worth of chapters left, I said we had to save some for tomorrow.
It was only just now, looking for our next title to order (Cameron Townsend) , that I realised that YWAM also do a Young Readers version of this series.
I don't think my kids would have liked to have to read this normal one on their own, but as a read-aloud, it's been greatly enjoyed and they are looking forward to the next chapter, while also dreading reaching the end and having run out of story. The Benges do a great job of giving the reader plenty of interesting detail without making the book a hard slog to get through. Some parts are more riveting than others, but then nobody's life is pure excitement/adventure, and I appreciate that they don't cut out the less exciting bits. My kids need to know that there WILL be uninteresting bits in life, but there will also be bits where God does amazing things.
If I wants my primary school aged children to read about these Christian Heroes Then and Now, I would opt for the Young Reader version. I haven't had the opportunity to leaf through a copy, but this 'adult' version would probably be a bit too boring for many children to get through on their own.
on 4 May 2015
Brought up in Siao Chang, Northern China, Eric had a great life with his family whose parents were missionaries. At 6 years old it was time to head back to Scotland on furlough for the first time in his life. From there it was time for boarding school, followed by college where he took an interest in running and surprised everyone in 1924 by winning the Gold Medal in the 400 meters!

Not overtaken by his fame, Eric had his eyes set on a higher goal and returned to China as a teacher in 1925. What happened when war came with the Japanese invasion in WWII?

Read this incredible, not always pleasant but real and challenging story. Suitable for the whole family, we read this during family devotions. God can take an ordinary person and change them into an extraordinary person for HIM!

Eric Liddell - 1902 to 1945
on 4 June 2014
I am a theology student, as part of one of my modules I was required to read more about christian disciplines. I found Eric Liddells book; Disciplines of the Christian Life, very information and interesting. Thereafter I felt I wanted to read more about Liddell and thought of buying this book. I loved it! Once I started reading it was very difficult to put the book down. This is a truly inspiring story.
on 5 December 2012
I recommend this to anyone who wants to share the Gospel. This is a really inspiring story about someone who truly had the love of Jesus and refused to be discouraged. He had obstacles and overcame them, with God's grace, and used good common sense and always managed to inspire people and find a way to reach them with the love of God. This book is easy to read, even for children, and his story is one we can all learn from and aspire to.
on 17 July 2016
Enlightening, inspiring & a wonderful read or listen if you get the audio version. I would recomend to anyone wishing to learn of how God has been at work in the lives of His people, in days gone by.
on 18 January 2017
Brilliant book in excellent condition. I would recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed the Christian Heroes series.
on 8 August 2014
good stories - bought for children as end of term prizes for sunday school
on 3 August 2016
Another good read for a man who gave up all to support others.