on 12 March 2017
Perfect to use! Has a good battery life, Enough memory for lots of work and plays games well too! sound is very good and the price for it is very good! would definitely recommend!
on 28 October 2016
Well the laptop is good for working, but not that good what i expected for gaming, to be honest that's why i bought it, to play games. But it's good enough to run League of Legends on highest graphics ^.^
on 8 January 2015
das the thing I need.
on 7 December 2014
Does everything I need, and is reasonably fast for light gaming.
on 22 October 2014
Great laptop at good price
5* Seller. Superfast dispatch & delivery. Great value
& item as described. Thank you
on 22 May 2014
I was impressed with the tech spec of this laptop for the price and have not been disappointed with the performance. As a professional typist I need a good keyboard I can bash away on and this one is the best I've used. It flashes around apps speedily and as for Windows 8.1 - I love it. The vast memory means I can save as many photos, music, games etc as I like without slowing down the performance. Also - no more laptop knee! It is very cool no matter how long you have it on and has a good battery life. Downsides - there's no doubt it is heavier than others for its size. If you want a laptop to carry around frequently it might not be for you. Personally I use this at home and prefer my phone or a tablet for travel.
44 Comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2015
I have had this around 11 months now and it has been great! Although in the past couple of days it had been struggling to play dvds and now just crashes when i try to play them! Is my warrenty with lenovo them selves? As product shouldnt only last a year!
VINE VOICEon 6 August 2014
I've been using an Acer Aspire for a couple of years and when I bought it I was torn between that and a Lenovo. I just bought this Lenovo G500 for my girlfriend and it's been interesting comparing the two.

The Lenovo build quality is MUCH better than the Acer. Yes, it's a slightly thicker and marginally heavier laptop, but it's much more solid and less bendy, defying the plastics that it's built from. The layout of connectivity (power, USB2, USB3, HDMI etc) is nice, and as many have commented, the keyboard has a reassuringly good, quality feel and design.

For every day computing tasks, the hardware is absolutely capable, and I'd venture that the 1TB of hard disc space is possibly overkill. For those needing some extra memory available, don't be put off by the 4GB installed - SODIMM modules are really cheap on amazon, and an upgrade would be worth considering.

Everything else, in terms of hardware (screen, camera, speakers, DVD drive etc), seems to be equal to everything else within the 200£ - £500 price range.

My misgivings with the G500 have been entirely to do with Windows 8.1 and, in particular, the extra free software installed. This machine with Windows 7 installed would be a sure 5-star for me.

Make sure you have your WiFi ready, as one of the first parts of the setup process when you first boot the system is to connect to a network, and set up your Microsoft account. It seemed to be quite a lengthy process to get to the point where the laptop was ready to use (MUCH longer than setting up Windows 7), and then I got hit by the bloatware.

I have many years of experience of using different iterations of Windows, and I've built my own PC's, but I still struggled to keep on top of the self-installing, auto-starting rubbish that afflicted Windows 8.1 from my first login. I had to download a third party Program Uninstall utility just to get rid of half of it, and even that wasn't enough to stop the pesky Astromeda and even more hideous AnyProtect.

Thankfully, I managed to get my Bit Defender Internet Security suite (HIGHLY recommended) installed, which then went on to safely remove ten virus-infected files and block another six a few hours later. I have never seen this kind of level of virus activity on a brand new system.

I do believe that Windows 8 is probably going to prove quite easy to get used to, and I can see that it is a good compromise to cover everything from tablets to PC's, but I think it is too liberal with it's automatic seeking and installation of 'apps' that you may not want.

In summary, I think the hardware is great, the operating system needs improving, and the extra stuff that is 'bundled' is shocking. If you already have a copy of Windows 7 available, then you might do well to buy this laptop, wipe the hard drive, and install Win 7 so that you can stay in control of what it's doing!
22 Comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2014
Excellent build quality, amazingly fast startup laptop, without some bells and whistles but at an excellent price.