1,519
Format: DVD|Change

on 11 June 2014
Great film, great acting. Should be compulsory viewing. The slave industry is an appalling act against human kind. It is disgusting that it still continues today. Films such as this and this one in particular raise awareness of this and should be applauded for their bravery in exposing this evil practice.
on 14 December 2014
Of course, as with any film by Steve McQueen, this is visually stunning - and it's certainly a worthwhile story to put on film. I just didn't feel any involvment in the film - whilst appreciating that I was watching an admirable piece of work. I think the problem lies in the editing - there must have been a huge amount of material to piece together, and the film becomes increasingly 'episodic' towards the end. Left me feeling a tad disappointed, whilst appreciating that it follows a Best Picture AA genre.
on 6 June 2014
Having found the book a powerful and moving read, I was very disappointed in the film.
Solomon Northup has such intelligence and integrity as a narrator and so much of that is missing from the film. It's not that Chiwetel Eijiofor doesn't do a fantastic job in the role (the ending is particularly well acted), it's just that it could have been so much more in my opinion.
I imagine that many of the scenes will have been confusing as there is a lack of exposition and clear dialogue. I know that a narrative voice-over is often cheesy in films but I think this film could have benefited from one, such is the quality of the writing in the book and if ever a true story needed the full details to be declared clearly to the audience, it is this one.
on 23 July 2014
Gruesome, but realistic, violence. A very accurate historical film - depicting the horror of slavery; unfortunately, slavery and abuse still occurs throughout the world. Every effort must be made to identify and stop this. Encouraging ending.

Recommended.
on 5 February 2015
It took a lot for me to watch this film. I don't like watching anything I know is going to be hard to watch. I'm still trying to get myself together to watch 'The Passion of the Christ'.
This was not what I expected. So many films about slavery and imprisonment have been loud and shocking. This film told Solomon's story with a sense of intimacy as if we were reading the book. It holds me hard that this is a true story, knowing that the what unfolds in picture actually happened to another human being.
From being free to being enslaved, we get to see both sides of Solomon's life. Understanding that after these events he became and activists against slavery helps in some way to understand why this happened, so he could tell others what he witnessed first hand.
The acting is wonderful as is the cinematography.
on 27 June 2015
Brilliant film, unfortunately it shows how little humans respect each other.
I told a friend of mine I wanted to watch this, but he was a little guarded and suggested that it would be too emotive for me. He was right, however I am pleased I did watch, although I cried, and cried (almost unknown to me over a film). Very well told and produced, it did however highlight and sadden me how little we regard others. Whilst slavery in the so called western world is thankfully little unheard of today, it does make you think of how we treat others worldwide.
on 6 June 2014
I read the book before seeing the film. The film was done well but, as in most such cases, left out a lot of background which made some of the story quite hard to follow as it jumped in time. Overall, well worth watching but if you want the whole picure read the book.
on 14 May 2014
Brilliant film, it really brings home,how the slaves where treated in the American south.The film is base on fact,and can be very gory,cant help being on the side of the slaves;with the inhuman treatment metered out,for the smallest of reasons.Its well acted,and produced,when slavery was abolished,it was one of the best things that ever happened in America, and throughout the rest of the world.Well worth getting a copy,and the preorder service was good as well.
on 2 August 2014
You know it was going to be good with the awards, but it was fantastic, really brutal and had me in tears a few times. Cant believe this was still happening such a short time ago. A must see, but be prepare to be emotional moved.
on 11 June 2016
One can feel the art school training in this film , there are moments when one says ah yes. Visually this film is a treat , Costume interiors performances often taste of a different world,A film to spend a while delving into to discover nuance after nuance that are missed on first viewing,