on 10 January 2016
Recommend
on 8 June 2017
very useful
on 21 May 2013
I would recomment the New York City Guide to any visitor to New York. It gives first class information on what to do and visit, where to eat etc. One of the best guides I have come across.
I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

This book covers, for example:
 Empire State Building

 Top 10 New York Stores
 Top 10 Places for Children
 Top 10 Restaurants
(This is some, not all)

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
This 192-page book - the February 2014 print edition - is a colourful and informative guide to the attractions of New York City; for real visitors and armchair travellers alike. It has all the usual features, including excellent maps and articles. There are excellent colour photos breaking up the text columns, so you can see what you are looking for. It is a handy up-to-date guidebook, with all the usual topics a tourist guide provides, as well as chapters on the top ten sites (Empire State Building; Fifth Avenue; Rockefeller Centre; Statue of Liberty; Ellis Island; Times Square & Theatre District; Central Park; Metropolitan Museum of Art; Solomon R’ Guggenheim Museum; American Museum of Natural History).

Please note that this is a POCKET guide to the HIGHLIGHTS of the area, and not an in-depth study of everything to be found there. For that, you need a full-sized guide.

The Contents include -
P007: New York’s Top 10 (and other touristy stuff to see and do)
P071: Around Town (13 sub-sections)

P159: Streetsmart (practical touristy information); including -
P172: Places to Stay
P180: General Index
on 11 March 2013
Typical DK guide. Plenty of information abd well illustrated. Small and useful for taking on aircraft etc where space and weight are limited.
on 11 March 2013
Up to DK's usual high standards. Lots of information and beautifully illustrated. The ideal guide for anyone visiting New York.
on 26 April 2014
As someone who has not been to New York before, I felt a guide book was the best option, so purchased this to browse whilst we prepare to go. It has excellent pictures and separates everything into excellent areas so you don't have to read it all to find what you want. Informative, inexpensive, very good quality and all part of the holiday experience!!
on 10 November 2013
I like top 10 books. Trouble is I bought the kindle edition of this one. Big mistake. It really doesn't work. I would go as far as to say they should not have offered a kindle edition it does them no justice.
on 10 December 2013
Absolutely packed with detail although in its present form it can be a bit cumbersome to tote. I think it would be a much better guide if it was in a kind of loose-leaf format in a plastic sleeve where your sticky fingers don't smudge the print, and you don't crack the spine of the book by forcing the pages back to read the small print about an object of interest either. Apart from this niggle I find the travel guides from this publisher to be excellent, and should impress the most inglorious of pedants with its complexity of detail, and very good value for your money too. I wouldn't travel without one.