Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 29 January 2001
This book is perfect for anyone who is looking to gain a large collection of new favourite fantasy authors. Unlike the previous book, 'The Mammoth book of Comic Fantasy', the editor has grouped together stories of similar contents enabling a flow from story to story. In saying this though, I would recommend the previous title. Although it is not quite as funny as this book, it does have clever stories.
I am an avid reader of comic fantasy and have read many publications. However, even though I recognised many authors in the book, I had only seen two of the stories before. Therefore this is a great book for fantasy nuts, like me, and first time readers alike. Some of the stories made me laugh aloud. My fave story was 'The case of the four and twenty blackbirds' by Neil Gainman, an excellent story cleverly based around nursey rhymes. It is worth the price of the book alone. I would also recommend the stories by Tom Holt, Craig Shaw Gardener, Harlan Ellison and Terry Jones (yes, of Monty Python).
They say laughter is the secret to old age. The reason I liked this book is it made me laugh, and that I believe is the point of comic fantasy.
on 6 April 2004
I love short stories, mainly 'cos I'm a bit lazy and am not prepared to read a whole book by an Author I'm not used to. And this mammoth comic fantasy series of short stories is my current favorate.
Even if you don't like all the stories (I did) you'll probably like most of them, and you'll definately like some of them, and considering how cheap the books is and how chunky, you really don't have an excuse.
Also the very first story in the book, Neader-Tale is one of my faves. Buy it now