Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.74

Anna, Catherine and Sophie meet at conversational Italian evening classes and become friends, each with their own story developed carefully throughout this lovely novel. As the course progresses they all make new friends and it looks as though this year will be a year of starting over for all of them.

Sophie left home when her parents tried to manipulate her future. She could never forgive them for denying her the dream of becoming an actress and set off backpacking around the world. She ended up in an Italian ice ream parlour in the tourist quarter of Sorrento, pining over a failed romance with the delectable Dan. Tracked down and called back home when her father had a serious heart attack, she is soon surprised by how much she is enjoying her time at home. Catherine is looking ahead. Her husband, who had told her he had never loved her, had recently left home for another lover. Rocked by this unkind dismissal of their marriage she is rebuilding her self-confidence and looking for a job so that she can support herself. Anna has a dilemma of her own. Her geriatric Nan had let slip that her father was Italian. Suddenly her tanned skin and dark hair had made sense and she had decided to look for her father and discover her Italian roots. Her cheating boyfriend discarded, what was to stop her? When her work as a food journalist takes her on a free trip to Rome to complete a cookery course she is ecstatic. Opportunity, method and means open the door to her future.

Only things never run smoothly and all three girls have serious setbacks to overcome before their journeys are complete. Problems, problems, problems. Can Sophie move on and learn to trust her parents again? Dare she leave her father when he seems so frail? What should Catherine do when she discovers mysterious payments in her cheating husbands account? What can she do when her husband decides to sell the family home now that their children are at university? Will Anna’s Italian family welcome her or will there be problems when she introduces herself to her Father? The Italian class has opened new doors, created new friendships and given each of the girls support and new confidence to move forward with their lives.

Lucy Diamond had written another novel full of friendship, love and intrigue. I really enjoyed reading it and have no hesitation in recommending it to you as an enjoyable, entertaining, light read perfect for a relaxing holiday read.
on 26 May 2014
I LOVE LOVE Lucys books ,they always leave me with wet eyes and a warm heart .

This book surprised me as I assumed it was to be set in Italy but its set in Yorkshire .

It tells the story of 3 different women who are all discovering themselves at different times in their lives and how they are all connected through the language of love .

It is a great mixture of ages ,romance, heartbreak and lifestyles
A great book of friendship and love
I love reading novels that are set in a familiar setting, and I fully expected One Night In Italy to be set in Rome or Venice or some other hot and sultry Italian city. I was surprised and delighted to find that instead of the magic of the Mediterranean this story is set in glorious Sheffield - a place I know well and is very dear to my heart.

Each of the characters are linked by an evening class, they all sign up for Italian for Beginners, taught by Sophie, and although the course is only ten weeks long, it doesn't take them long to become firm friends.

Sophie herself has found herself back in her home town of Sheffield. She's spent the last few years running away, travelling the world, never settling anywhere for very long. Teaching Italian to beginners was always going to be just a stop gap before her latest adventure abroad - but sometimes things just don't go to plan.
Catherine, the wife of a respected but not particularly pleasant GP discovers that despite the years of being a downtrodden wife, she really can do something. Her classmates are just the encouragement that she needs.

And Anna, local journalist and girlfriend to the spreadsheet loving Pete; her life too will be changed dramatically by those few weeks of learning the basics of the Italian language.

Lucy Diamond has a gift for creating characters that the reader really can relate to. This eclectic group of people are so realistic that you find yourself becoming really attached to them and rooting for them all the way. The story gallops along at a fast pace, with each character having their own starring role, although the supporting cast are all pretty great too.

There are serious issues amongst the funny one-liners and the author deals with these effortlessly too. From the downtrodden wife, to NHS corruption and newspaper politics, there really is something for everyone contained in this gem of a story.

Once again, Lucy Diamond has delivered a belter of a book. Italy, Sheffield, food, recipes, love ... this is the perfect combination and will delight her fans.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 November 2014
Three women are the focus in this latest Lucy Diamond release. Catherine is the first and when her husband ups and leaves she feels like she is starting all over again. We also meet Anna who has recently discovered her father who she has never known is Italian, and then Sophie who has returned from her many years abroad to see her ill father. The three women will meet through the Italian language course they all decide to be a part of.

The three women’s stories are told individually and you really get to know each of them before they eventually meet. Anna and Sophie I instantly liked, but for some reason I wanted Catherine to grow a backbone and she annoyed me for the first few chapters. However, when she starts to make changes to her life I warmed up to her. Sophie was my favourite and I loved the way the reader gets to discover slowly why she left the UK, and why her relationship with her parents had gone so wrong. Anna was a funny and warm character and you couldn’t help but get swept along with her in her dream to find out about her Italian roots.

The story flowed beautifully and I was transported into all of their lives and willing them to all get what they wanted out of their classes. In addition to the three main characters we also meet some of the characters at their class, and they definitely made the book complete in my eyes. Once again Lucy Diamond has managed to create a heart-warming story, which takes you away from reality for a few hours. I read this in just under 2 days and really enjoyed it. Certainly a recommended read, although ‘Summer With My Sister’ will always remain my absolute favourite!
I have been looking forward to reading Lucy Diamonds new book One Night In Italy, I love the authors books and I also have a great interest in anything Italian be it the language of love the delicious food and the stunning sights so I couldn’t wait to begin.

Anna has never known anything about her father until now when she is visiting her nan and she lets slip that her dad is called Gino the Italian, with not much to go on Anna is determined to find her dad and on her search for him she begins to do all she can to embrace her inner Italian side she never knew she had.
Catherine’s world is crashing down around her as her two children are off to uni and on the same day her husband leaves her. Suddenly she finds she has time on her hands and so she decides to enrol on an Italian language course.

Sophie has been living in Italy for the last 2 years but after her dad falls ill she has to return home. Back in Sheffield she is desperate for work and when an opportunity to teach Italian for 10 weeks came up she jumped at the chance.

The three ladies are joined at the language class and along with the rest of the class they all soon become great friends and help each other with their problems.

What a great read this was, it wasn’t what I was expecting at all I had assumed that the book would be set in Italy but actually it is set in Sheffield but yet the storyline wasn’t short of an Italian theme. It took me a while to distinguish between the three main characters but once I got used to who was who I soon became swept away in the storyline. All of the three women have completely different personalities and problems so they all bring something to the book and because the story is told from each of their points of views we really feel like we can connect to each of the characters. It is unusual for me but I didn’t actually have a favourite I loved all three of the ladies.

Although the book had a light feel to it, it did cover some serious issues too which gave the book more depth and also gave the book a more realistic feel to it. I have never attempted any Italian but reading this book watching the characters learning the language of love and also with each chapter title is written in Italian ( with an English translation) it did spark my interest and I still remember some of the phrases now so as well as enjoying this book it has educated me to!

This author always manages to create a busy book with lots of storylines going on but she also manages to weave them together beautifully and this book is no exception. The ending to this fabulous book is tied up perfectly to so we are not left on a cliff hanger or with questions still in our heads waiting to be answered.

I really enjoyed this book, although not the holiday read I was expecting it was still an enjoyable read that I was actually quite disappointed to finish it!
on 14 June 2014
Lucy has created a very good storyline here. She intertwines the lives of her characters in a very interesting way. She involves us in their problems, in their quests for answers. It is heartwarming and there is great kindness and camaraderie here. Her characters are not afraid to say sorry when proved wrong. It is also funny. Lucy's story has it all. It'a really good read, hard to put down.
on 18 June 2014
This is the first Lucy Diamond book I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. All the characters were interesting and believable and you want to keep turning the page to see what happens next. I found myself rooting for all of them. An easy read but most enjoyable nevertheless.
on 17 May 2016
What I call a lovely, light, enjoyable read - just right to take on holiday .....to Italy! Linking several different characters, in several different ways, to the idea of Italy, we travel with each one along their own personal journey. A book you don't really want to put down and look for the first opportunity to pick up again.
on 3 September 2014
Like The Teashop .in the Corner this was a disappointing read witrh a basic idea that might have been developed into something memorable. As it is it would pass the time on a flight or train journey but without leaving any intellectual or emotional traces.
on 5 January 2015
Surprise, surprise I too thought it would a novel set in Italy, but alas not so but the United Kingdom of all places! However, if you have never been to Italy, love Italian food and find the italian spoken words very romantic, then best you read this book! I have to admit I took a little while to get the flow between the main characters, but once the theme began to fall into place, it was read until finished. We all love happy endings, romance, struggles between families and friends that eventually work out in the wash and a book that can be on the other hand not too in depth. A good holiday book for taking in your suitcase to none other than Italy of all places!