Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have the Canon LEGRIA HF R206 High Definition Camcorder - Grey (20x Optical Zoom, 3 inch Touchscreen LCD) so I have been able to compare the two camcorders. This one is superior in terms of picture quality, size, function and battery life.

I wanted to use this camcorder for a few weeks before writing my review as that way I'd use it in variable conditions and would get to understand the functions. Overall, I'm delighted with it - its small size makes it very portable and easy to use and it is good in low light conditions, which was an issue with the HF R206. The video quality is excellent in all conditions. It can be used pretty much out of the box as it has 8 GB of internal memory and more space can be provided by using a SD card - it interfaces with my Apple Macbook Pro very easily.

Pros

- excellent results in multiple conditions and can be used by novice users with ease
- compact size, simple styling and lightweight, with good usability through a touch screen
- wifi connection for easy uploading, though it can of course be loaded from the SD card if you're using one
- MP4 format available as well as other modes
- 32X optical zoom and optical stabilisation
- 3 inch touch screen on small camera

Cons

- no case or SD card provided

Highly recommended as a good all round camcorder
VINE VOICEon 14 April 2014
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've always been a Sony camcorder user but thought I'd give Canon a go as I also use a Canon DSLR and some other Canon products. During my use of the product so far I have to say that I'm impressed, there are some differences and things I need to get used to after using Sony for so long but I'm sure I'll get there.

The camcorder itself is pretty standard with the usual plastic build quality so nothing special there and for all intents and purposes it's identical to my Sony. It features a flip out 3 inch touch screen which is something I've been looking for in a new camcorder, my entry level Sony from a few years ago had one but recent models seem to have shrunk the screen size and opted for button controls. The 3 inch screen gives a good view of the subject or for playing back any captured video.

Using the camcorder has been great and footage has been sharp and colourful and looks great when displayed on a HDTV. The on screen menus took a little bit of time to get used to but once you know where everything is and what it does it becomes second nature. I shoot a lot of video indoors and the camcorder performs well in low light situations and it also features image stabilisation which should come in handy when I take the camcorder out and about.

This particular model also features 8GB of internal storage so doesn't require the use of an SD card out of the box. It also includes wi-fi which might be useful for connecting to social networking sites if you want to share your videos. Another feature is the ability to use your camera over the wi-fi network with the accompanying app for your smartphone or tablet. This allows you to remote view if you're out of the room, at work or maybe on holiday.

Great camcorder overall, takes a bit of getting used to for me after using Sony for so long but it includes some nice features and does a great job at capturing good quality video footage.
on 14 April 2014
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is my first Canon camcorder - my previous camcorders have been from Sony. The main difference over my last camcorder (bought over 5 years ago) is the size. The Canon Legria HF R56 Camcorder is very compact and fits in the palm of your hand, so is easy to transport and use.

The picture quality of the Canon R56 is excellent - bright colours and a sharp, clear picture. Using the Canon R56 reminds me how poor the quality of smartphone video is - smartphones are fine for a few seconds of quick video, but for recording your kids growing up, special occasions and holidays, you need a descent camcorder.

I haven't used the wi-fi connectivity yet for uploading video to social media when away from home, so I can't comment on that in my review, I'll leave it for others to hopefully comment on.

I've chosen to record in MP4 format - and the quality is excellent, and it is easy to navigate through the controls on the 3 inch screen.

The only negative is that I've not been able to find a case for the R56 yet - but the size, ease of use and picture quality are all excellent on this camcorder.
on 30 September 2014
This camera can produce first class results. Focus is good, colours are faithfully rendered, zoom is more than I ever need and image stabilisation first class. The only downside is the software that you have to download from Canon's website. It's needed because it is the only way you can transfer data from the camera to a computer. The software is not very user-friendly to say the least, but in the end it will do the job - at least on my Windows 7 64 bit PC
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In this day and age of 1080p Video quality (and higher) from Mobile Phones such as iPhone and Samsung etc who needs a Camcorder?
With broadcast quality from a DSLR or Mirrorless Camera which combines the benefits of still and video who needs this?

Well, there IS a place yet for Camcorders - pro ones I think are still superior to DSLR etc as they're dedicated and more intuitive, but in the case of consumer compact Camcorders, this is superb.
It offers what a budget still cam with video or Smartphone with video can only dream of.
VERY easy to use, flip one and it starts up in a second. press red to record.
Has program mode, so can set the Quality from Standard to High Def or lower quality for streaming.
Has many scene modes including 24 FPS Cine mode which is superb.

All easy to use vis the touch screen interface on the flip out screen.

`this is VERY compact, has plenty of built in memory (especially when filming in SD as I do) takes SD Cards too.
Has a huge zoom with optical stabilisation and the picture quality at full or wide is crisp and sharp.
Has a tripod mount and battery life is EXCELLENT.

in a 17 day trip to the Karakoram I only charged it once!

Superb picture quality, plug and play (on an Apple Mac) and all in all a great compact high quality video camera.

I didn't like the position of the Zoom toggle. though, and a lens mounted manual zoom would've been easier and more economical and quicker.
on 5 July 2014
Very pleased with this compact lightweight camcorder. Arrived a couple of days after ordering - impressive. Very simple to use (good job with me as the user) Quick set up guide was included but no manual. Very quickly resolved by downloading pdf file from Canon site. Wi-Fi has been easy to set up - control from home has been tried and tested - very good but not yet tested away from home.
on 20 September 2014
It is some time since I last owned a Video Camcorder and I have been using my iPhone but thought I could improve on the finished result with a proper camcorder. It arrived just before we were due to take our grandson away for a few days so I had no time to get used to it. I found it really easy when I started videoing him doing all his various activities and have been very pleased with the results. It has made me look quite professional and that has taken some doing. I have no hesitation in recommending this camcorder.
on 2 April 2014
I have owned several camcorders over the years including the semi-pro Panasonic HMC151. I liked this camcorder and it produced exceptional quality video. This is an ideal camcorder to put in a handbag or large pocket (weddings and family events).
The downside is that it does not have a lens thread to enable filters to be attached.
There is no hotshoe for other accessories (videolight) and therre is no input for an external microphone.
My view is biased that way because I need filters and microphones for my hobby.
Don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic camcorder and with 32x optical zoom and low-light capabilities, it will satisfy many enthusiasts. The camcorder is very small and unobtrusive, so a large bag is not required.
My video needs more creative input and more manual over-ride than this camcorder provides.
This camcorder would be 5 Stars for most people. But for my interests/hobby, I need more capability - hence 4 Stars.
on 29 November 2014
This camera is performing very well for me. I'm an amateur user but I'm having no problems at all. It's communicating well with my iPad 2 and I love that I can easily watch video via wifi without the need for finding wires to connect my kit. Performs well in low light, has great picture quality and is light and compact. No regrets about choosing this model and make at all.
on 13 April 2015
not as good picture quality as my old DV camcorder from Sony, although it's compact and easy to carry. Seems to show up movement (of the camera operator) more than my old one though. It's certainly worth the low cost for a HD camcorder though.