on 3 November 2014
I'd read some negative reviews on this camera but I eventually decided to go for it. Firstly, there seems to be an opinion that the battery only offers 30 minutes of power. This is incorrect, fully charged my camera can offer me an hour and a half of of recording, to potentially two hours.

The picture is sharp and crisp, it is surprisingly light (when the battery is not attached) and offers the option to be mounted on two different sized tripods (EDIT: The second hole is in fact a hole for locking the camera on place on the supporting tripod, the tripod that mounts this camera is in fact a standard 1/4" threaded hole, apologies). The zoom function is good, I can use it to read the spine of a CD cover 5 metres away without blurring (although it does require a specific level of zoom, full zoom may still blur). It does NOT come with any form of on-board memory, and while reasonably expensive the SanDisk SDSDU-064G-FFP memory card offers 64GB of memory which the camera tells me is enough for over 8 hours recording time.

The camera's microphone is again criticised. It does not come with the functionality to mount a separate microphone and outdoors the on-board microphone may suffer poor sound quality but in-doors it is good, although works best directionally.

The camera comes packaged with a micro-USB to USB cable, a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable to use with a PC and TV respectively, and an input for headphones to listen to playback. To watch back videos and use menu options you have to use the side screen, which must also be open when you record. It's touchscreen but very responsive and very user-friendly. Altogether, this is a camera for people who want to record things on a daily basis but aren't bothered too much about sound quality, media students and people who want to practice filming with a lightweight, portable camera or people who want to have a video camera just because.

If you are serious about video recording, then you should splash out on a more advanced model. For what it is however, I can't fault it as a budget model of handycams, which is why I have given it five stars.
37 people found this helpful
on 12 August 2015
How much do you spend to get a good digital camcorder? I'm very impressed with the quality of the recordings from this camera. It's still not as good as my old Sony Hi 8 cassette camcorder but it's very good compared to the sub £100 camcorders I've had in the past.
As with most digital camcorders, pan around slowly and you will get good results. Small enough to fit in a good size pocket and very light.

The colours are strong and not washed out. Low light performance is very good with not too much graininess. It does struggle with focus when trying to film fireworks. sometimes in focus, somrtimes not.
In common with all digital comcorders I have used, the stills function is woefull whatever resolution you choose, the images being very grainy when viewed back on TV or PC.

Buy yourself extra batteries and a charger such as the one from Dot.Foto.
If you still use Win XP as I do, SD cards larger than 32GB use exFat file system and you will need a patch for XP to see the SD card.
One person found this helpful
on 18 December 2014
In overall, this is a good product with a more than reasonable performance at a good price. I like its SCENE mode, which can take very beautiful video with accurate white balance and exposure level to reflect the real feeling and looking of a sunset time - no like my some other cameras that automatically adjusts up the exposure level and give a weird white balance. The low-light shot is much better than my old Canon TX-1, which is a product of 2007 at the price level of $650 that time and takes 720p video. It also has a good colour for other scenes of videos.

I found the top quality AVCHD looks better than then top quality MP$, no matter on my computer LCD or on my 46-inch HDTV (through HDMI). Oh, one thing very important - it down-compatible with PAL standard.

What I don't like is its lens cover - you need to open/close it using your hand; and the plastic-feeling body. I exchanged it for a higher level product because my "business" requires a video quality a bit closer to professional, but I would absolutely say this Canon HF R506 is an excellent consumer level product.
One person found this helpful
on 12 December 2014
Perfect for what I want it to do. Easy to use superb picture quality for my requirements.
Great value for money, wish they had been around when I was a young parent taking
films for posterity. I youngsters don't do it while they are young they will regret it when
they get older.
on 9 October 2016
Small handy cam. Not sure on the image stability, but as a quick alternative to using a point and shoot or your phone, it will do the job.
on 19 November 2015
I have bought 3 of these cams. They're small, lightweight and they have a fair recording time given the size of the battery.
Image isn't as good as professional grade HD camera, but for personal use and live streaming is very good and responsive.
Only drawback is no microphone jack, but since we use HDMI and external input anyway it doesn't present a problem for us.
5 stars from me.
on 30 November 2017
Good picture quality but let down a bit by the view screen LCD monitor which is not bright enough. Even on the maximum setting, it's hard to see what you are filming properly. I think it would benefit from a view finder. Quite good overall though
on 17 December 2014
This was a present and the receiver is very happy with it. It would be nice if this product came with a memory card even if it meant that the price was raised a little higher.
on 11 June 2017
Good.
on 22 July 2016
A very good product at a good price