Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 23 April 2017
purchased as a birthday present for our son - it has proved ideal and has given a great deal of pleasure recording events and holidays
does every thing the adverts claim and well
on 25 March 2014
My wife has gone through 2 ixus cameras now, not that they are flimsy; it's from excessive use because she loves them. This new one is no exception, now with longer zoom (eq to 25-300mm, f3.6-7.0), uprated processor (Digic4+), 16 Mp CMOS sensor, image stabilised, and very quick. Low light photos come out nicely, and flash free indoor exposures show little noise. This camera is up there with some of the older Powershot G series for image quality, albeit without the controls, but the Ixus doesn't need them, it sorts out exposure so well automatically.

Occasionally the speed is slow, deciding whether to turn the flash on or not, but not excessively so; the outcome is a reliable and well exposed image.

Canon camera window is an app for iPhone and iPad that connects instantly with the camera, it's so fast at photo sharing its as though the photos were taken on the Apple device.

Takes HD movie footage, has many scene and creative modes to compete with the Instagram apps.

I struggled to find exact battery replacements, but the lower capacity B-11L works perfectly and less than £20.
There's no paper manual, I guess in a world of sustainability, this is the done thing, but perhaps onboard help could be improved.

All in all, this is an excellent buy, my wife won't leave the house without it, and if you're an Ixus owner, there's enough new stuff to feel like a proper upgrade. If you're new to Ixus, perhaps a Lumix or Coolpix owner, the Ixus is going to impress with image quality.

In summary, for point and shoot, Ixus is unbeatable. exposure and speed is great, and matches SLR shots in good conditions. It's handbag/pocket size, and my wife loves the pink, it's a tad paler than the photo so not bad looking.
11 Comment| 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2015
This was my wife's 70 B'day present and she loves it.It does all she needs and is very easy to use. It takes excellent pics and is very fetching in the purple.
on 17 August 2015
This is my second ixus canon digital camera. I had my first one for 7 or 8 years and it took great pictures. This one is even better. I would thoroughly recommend this camera as its small and compact and fits in any size handbag.
on 4 September 2015
Very neat and compact producing superb pictures
on 21 August 2014
I bought this camera for my Girlfriend on her travels to South America, and im completely blown away with it!

The picture quality is extremely good with so much colour and detail! 16mp photos and 1080 HD recording. cant ask for anything better of the price really!

Battery life is very acceptable, storage size of photos is very good considering the quality of the photos. Bought a 32gb memory card for her to take with it, she took something stupid like 1200 photos and loads of videos. Used under 10GB of memory, photos look amazing blown up on a tele or big display. Haven't reviewed the videos properly, but still very crisp!

Only issue my girlfriend found on her travels, was the auto focus when trying to take up close photos of plants/insects/small animals. It would tend to focus on background images rather than what was in the centre. BUT she wasn't prepared to look at settings etc and mess about, so she does take some responsibility for it. But she said it was frustrating trying to picture a certain thing and always being blurry.. Looked into it since she got back, and functionality throughout is very simple and found the correct way to take certain photos in less than 5 minutes.

Overall, for a compact digital camera, i couldnt believe what we got for the money.. I spent £100 on a previous sony cyber shot or whatever they are called and it was absolutely terrible! Poor low light photos etc.. Literally not a bad word to say for this Canon, okay its was £70 more expensive or something.. But personally a £70 well spent! Huge difference between the two camera's.

Finally, great zoom and digi zoom with 'anti-shake' technology on the camera, which gave my GF the advantage at zoo's/national parks etc getting some awesome upclose photo's.

Overall, 9/10 for the camera! i think the settings are a little basic personally, i'd like to adjust more.. But for my Girlfriend to use as a simple point and shoot 10/10, for sure! Awesome camera, very happy with our purchase!

I hope this review helps. But if you are stuck with what to buy, find the big yearly technival reviews.. Thats what i did, and this was the was 8th, but considering all above were SLR camera's etc, this was #1 for compacts!
11 Comment| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 July 2014
I have been without a camera for a while as I tend to use my smartphone but decided to go back to a dedicated camera. My last camera was the superb Sony Cybershot HX9 and was always going to be a hard act to follow. So far the Ixus has performed well. The wifi function is a welcome addition as it makes it oh so easy to transfer pictures to my iPad on the move. The NFC function is a little disappointing as you still need to change the wifi connection on your smartphone before it'll connect. In no way is this a deal breaker, I just thought it'd be a one-touch affair. The pictures I've taken are mostly outdoors and are of a very high quality. Even at maximum (optical) zoom the clarity is top notch. The menu system is easy to use and the start up time is quick. The LCD display is nice and clear and not too bad in direct sunlight although I would of liked a viewfinder as well. It is certainly a small camera and easily slipped into a pocket or bag. Battery life is good as well and has lasted the whole day on a trip to London with the kids. The range of features that the Canon has are enough for me as I do tend to take "normal shots" rather than tinker about. Saying that, the Creative Shot mode is very good. It takes the shot as normal but adds 5 other shots taken in different formats and angles such and sepia, black and white, tilted etc. You never know what your going to get and this makes it great for uploading to social media as a break from the norm. It has full HD video capability and works extremely well with one touch recording. The results are very good. Overall I am very impressed with my Canon Ixus 265. Yes there are some features missing that other compacts offer but it also adds a few that others don't have. It's all down to personal choice. I would definitely recommend this little compact.
22 Comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2015
Gives good results, not a SLR, but much better than a phone. I carry it almost everywhere, I have carried a compact camera almost everywhere, digital for many years, and a Minox B before that.
on 21 March 2015
I previously had the IXUS 100 which I loved, as it took absolutely brilliant images, but was so small that it fitted into any pocket or the palm of my hand, but it only had a 5x optical zoom and no image stability. This IXUS 265 is slightly larger than the 100, but still fits into a pocket or the palm of your hand. It has a superb 12x optical zoom with image stability and takes really superb images, as good as many DSLR's. It is not supplied with a memory card, so you cannot use it straight out of the box, so buy the super fast "Nikon D3200 DSLR Camera 32GB SD SDHC High Speed Zectron Digital Camera Memory Card" to go with it and you will be more than happy with the results. I do have an SLR, but rarely take it out with me because it is too bulky to carry around, so end up with the IXUS 265 comfortably in my pocket. It does not come with a handbook. The quick start guide tells you to go online and download it, which I did, but it is absolutely useless and doesn't give any information on the workings of this camera. The IXUS 100 had a manual mode, which I used often in tricky conditions, but so far, I have not been able to determine if the IXUS 265 has a manual mode and going through the camera menus, doesn't give a clue. If you like to do time exposures, then go for a DSLR, as compact cameras do NOT have this facility. So far though, this IXUS 265 has not let me down in its basic automatic exposure mode and I am very happy with it.
review image
on 15 March 2015
Have had an Ixus 90 for many years which is excellent. This buy was an upgrade and was certainly no disappointment. Absolutely brilliant.
I belong to a photographic society and have a Canon 7D and a 5D MkII however can carry this in a pocket for grab shots and like the Ixus 90 reckon it will provide more than a fair share of winning images
review image