Customer reviews

on 29 May 2011
This quirky little book is just what it claims to be in its title. Pocket-sized, it's just the thing to carry with you if you plan on visiting Greece and have an interest in the Orthodox Church or simply in its architecture and iconography. As far as I'm aware there aren't any similarly concise alternatives available. The author is a convert to the Orthodox Church and relates his own experiences to put his descriptions into a context that's accessible to visitors. Recommended.
on 3 February 2014
I already enjoyed reading the original printed version of this book and it is really nice to see how the content has been updated and added to since then.

The author uses a very informative style showing a glimpse of humour as well as a Glimpse of Heaven!. It displays Chris Moorey's love well, of the Greek Orthodox Church and helps visitors and readers to understand all the "goings-on" within in these beautiful churches. Why does the congregation not sing hymns? What is the significance of "name-days"? Why do Orthodox Christians light a candle and leave a donation on entering the church? All this and many more puzzles are answered clearly within the pages.

The book brings to life the Greek Orthodox religion and makes the ethos, customs and doctrines very understandable and desirable.

Anyone with an interest in different cultures or religions will find this a perfect read. It also displays that there is a lot more to genuine Greek life than sun, sea, tzatziki and Raki!!

Highly recommended to readers of all ages and beliefs.
on 25 January 2014
I stumbled across this enchanting book by accident and am so glad I did ! The author writes with such clarity and passion for the subject that one can almost imagine being out in Greece , actually seeing the things and places being described. I knew nothing of the subject before reading but now , thanks to Chris I now have knowledge and insight to a way of life and culture that is very alive and relevant today. If you like quirky facts,answers to the 'Why' questions in Greek Orthodoxy or are just interested in travel and religion, then this book is for you. Highly recommed.
on 7 February 2014
I purchased a hard copy of this book when it first came out and thoroughly enjoyed it. The book certainly gave me a better understanding of of the Greek Orthodox Church. I have attended many festivals and rites without really understanding what I was witnessing.
How can a religious book get better? Well it does in Kindle!
I only have two criticisms (very minor and very personal)
1. The chapter on funerals was too brief. Regrettably having attended my husband's funeral fairly recently I remember dreading the sight of the open coffin. The author did not describe the yellow roses that would be spread all over the coffin and the way their scent filled the church.
2. I loved the chapter on Icons and was astounded to learn (in the Kindle version) that an Icon was painted to commemorate the tsunami in Thailand. I was in Thailand a few days after the tsunami and witnessed hundreds of people in severe shock searching for a snippet of information about lost loved ones. I am still haunted by this.
Therefore my little criticism is that I personally would love to have had more information on Icons painted that are nothing to do (as such) with the Greece.
As I said very minor and personal criticisms which did not detract from my enjoyment of this great book.
It will remain on my Kindle forever!
on 26 January 2014
A gentle sense of humor, a warm devotion and extensive research combine to make this an unusually entertaining book. Although I am Greek ( and at one time an altar boy ) I found a lot I did not know about the Orthodox Church. This very helpful and interesting book should be on the Kindle reader of every visitor to Greece. There is nothing else as concise or as readable.
on 4 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this guide to the Orthodox Church. The author has filled a gap in the market for a sympathetic, reliable source of information about the Orthodox Church pitched at the interested layman rather than the specialist.
on 31 October 2015
A visit to Greece is incomplete without a look into a local church. Here can be glimpsed a religious history of the nation, its church going back to the time of the apostles. Mooney gives the uninitiated a good basic understanding of church architecture, iconography, and theology. For those whose knowledge is deeper, the book so a good refresher or handbook. The Book can be read in little over an hour. It would be a good companion on an initial visit to an Orthodox church in any country.
on 2 March 2014
It is the story of a couple who converted and was baptised in the Orthodox Christian church. It explains how the orthodox church looks like, what are all the symbols and what is their belief and faith. I was born in an orthodox family and baptised in the orthodox church but I also found this book helpful as it explained some things in the church that I didn't notice. The author writes his experience in the church in a pleasant language and with humor.
on 28 January 2014
I had a copy of the original printed version and found it so helpful whilst holidaying in Greece. It explains quite a lot of complicated things in a very easy to understand way. The Kindle version looks even better with much more information and better quality photos. A lovely book, highly recommended for any holidaymaker to Greece.
on 25 January 2014
Chris Moorey conveys his love and understanding of Orthodoxy in a clear and concise manner. The book is easy to read and holds one's interest without becoming tedious. I would recommend the book to anyone interested in the vast and different concepts of belief.
Anne Smith.