Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£0.99

Nice variations on a theme and you get several tracks for your money, but it has a vocal on all of them. If, like me, you were looking for a version without the vocal (ie. what you heard in the advert on the TV) it does not contain an instrumental only version. I've concluded that that is only available on MP3.
on 19 March 2014
great song that I hadn't heard before but so catchy and makes you want to dance around the living room, A feel good song that you must listen to
on 9 June 2014
When I first heard this song, in passing on the radio, I immediately honed in on the bubbly synth accompaniment as its most interesting element. It was a while before I heard enough of the complete song to notice that this material is also used as the introduction, played on a string quartet – and played convincingly. This isn’t a typical pop string arrangement. It makes full use of the independent voices and is also written idiomatically for the instruments, clearly by someone who knows what a string quartet can do. And it converts surprisingly well to the video game sounding electronic bleeps that alternate with strings throughout the song to play this music. (Note: the sheet music suggests it’s a string trio rather than a quartet – it sounds fuller to me on the recording).

Researching into the song, I found that the band Clean Bandit was formed out of a real classical string quartet from Cambridge, the Chatto Quartet (named after cellist and band member Grace Chatto). This sounds exciting. I can only think of a handful of pop songs that make the most of a string quartet – “Yesterday”, of course springs to mind, but also “For You” by Judie Tzuke, on which the quartet arrangement was made by Paul Hart.

I’m still listening to Clean Bandit’s just-released album New Eyes to hear what else they can do with this combination. I have to say that, so far, I’m not entirely convinced. For instance, while “Mozart’s House” uses a chunk of Mozart’s String Quartet No 21 (a less obvious choice than most Mozart “samples”), it’s not really integrated into the rest of the song, and at one stage it sounds disconcertingly close to the Hooked on Classics approach – an unforgiving regular beat dominating the music and draining out all of its life. I do like the use of strings in an earlier Clean Bandit track called “UK Shanty” – not included on the new album – where folk music elements are more in evidence. And the videos I’ve seen are very inventive.

However, the album, and the song “Rather Be”, both indicate that the songs themselves are more generic, and that it’s the textures where the main interest lies. At its core, “Rather Be” is very simple as a straight song. It seems as if the songs are mostly written by outside writers and the band then adds the quartet textures – so we don’t get a lot of classical influence in the basic material itself, which is a shame. The band’s personality is also perhaps weakened by their use of different guest vocalists for every song. And on the two dance remixes of “Rather Be” the strings seemed to be excluded altogether, indicating that for the hardcore clubbers strings perhaps aren’t what they want to hear. Despite all that, it’s catchy enough to have made the charts, and I think its appeal comes from a combination of both the song itself and the unusual instrumental textures.
on 28 August 2015
I've loved this song since day one. Brilliant vocals by Jesse Glynne.....loved it sooo much had to buy her new debut album and wasn't disappointed. I also bought Clean Bandit which is a really good album too. Both are really catchy and I can't stop playing them both. Also, Jesse Glynne is from my neck of the woods so had to support her new brilliant career.
on 2 June 2015
Only heard the chart single before so was expecting all tracks on cd to be similar however there were some pleasant surprises. Some tracks I felt had a pet shop boys feel to them. All good.
on 23 September 2014
Very catch tune I first heard on the Marks and Spencer adverts, led me to find the tune and thankfully Amazon have it available.

Also purchased the remix album.
on 29 May 2015
This was the music my KFA Moves teacher used for our annual Spring Festival of Exercise, Movement and Dance - it was a fun item to do - and the music gets under your skin
on 26 May 2014
Good production and excellent vocals although the mixes were a little repetitive. More variation on the mixes would have been better.
on 18 February 2014
We like the up temp beat of this tune, our girls have produced a little dance number to show at school, now we can all bop along
on 28 January 2014
Love this song, heard it on the radio once and just had to listen for title and artist then purchased track straight away.