Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.21

on 13 February 2014
This is one of the few books where I just plain couldn't finish it! The author tries to keep you guessing which of the 4 roommates our protagonist is going to end up falling in love with, so you get flashes of the male perspective going on about how great the female lead is, how pretty, she's the one, etc. and then when the male characters are with the female character you don't get any sense of chemistry with any of them. I kind of get the idea behind it, to draw out the possibilities and create anticipation. But I felt it just left me feeling cold towards all of them, and I didn't understand where all the supposed chemistry was meant to be coming from.

I also found it pretty absurd, as the character is dead-set against having anything to do with the guys, or moving in with them, but they basically move her in without her consent and there's no real banter or wearing-down of defenses.

It's a shame because I did almost enjoy the part where she mistakes the woman interviewing her as the roommate and her reaction when she discovered it was actually 4 hot male models!

I think as a premise it was a promising book - I mean, that is why I bought it afterall! - but the characters just weren't fleshed out enough, there wasn't any witty banter or good dialogue, and I didn't even find the general descriptions any good. I mean, she's moved into this supposedly lush loft-conversion apartment...but I couldn't follow the layout of the place, or get an idea of the general style.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 March 2014
I wish I could give this book 0 stars.

Unfortunately this was a case of either:

A) The author didn't know how to write
B) There was no editor, or the editor didn't know how to edit
C) The author didn't have a target audience in mind, so threw a book together like spaghetti on the wall
D) The author decided to treat the reader with contempt
E) The author decided the reader is stupid and must s-p-e-l-l everything out
F) The author doesn't like conflict
G) All of the above

I am leaning towards G.

It all starts with Pandora needing an apartment. There's conflict, right? It fizzes as she finds the most 'outrageously amazing' apartment that's way beyond her means, but gets it for an outrageous discount because, well the other three guys are top models and one owns the apartment building.

Cut to a creepy end-of-chapter dialogue from what is supposed to be one of the 3 guys that is crushing on her.

Why not make the book sizzle by writing alternate chapters from Pandora vs the guy's POV?

The attempts at conflict are readily resolved, either by her mother's dead ghost (sadly I am not kidding) or that it mysteriously resolves itself. Yep. It's a painful catalogue of scenes, but with shallow or no conflict.

Then the BIG bang happens.. which turns out to be a whimper.. and in an act of desperation, the author throws in a 'car accident and coma' to try to make you care about the characters.. when in truth by the time you get to that point you want to throw the book at the wall. (Mine was a kindle.. so not going to make THAT mistake!)

The only 2 characters that I found myself genuinely enjoying were the two grandmothers!

'Nuff said. Avoid this book like the plague.
on 12 April 2014
I gave this two stars because I liked the idea of the book. However that was unfortunately not enough to carry it.

With such strange layout of the chapters, the endings being italicised inner thoughts, in an attempt to allude to who the mystery guy is; I just felt sorry for the sad sap who was so emotionally drawn out and unable to show himself. Then after you find out who it is (which you already know without a doubt before the big reveal due to predictable dialogue) their proceeding relationship is just so wildly unbelievable and cringe-worthy that you only really push through to see if it's going to get any better.

By the time it got to the end, I had the distinct impression that the writing was rushed. There was no thought out behind the characters actions towards the end. They just weren't based in reality.

So although the story seemed like it had a fun, easygoing start; the whole thing was just too unbelievable and predictable to be enjoyable.
on 17 January 2014
Lucky Number Four is the first book I bought in 2014 and it was a really fun and quick read that really helped me overcome my reading slump. It is far from perfect but it a light and witty.

It centres around Dora. A senior in college who decides it time to find a new place to live after her two best friends and room mates get married. Dora at times annoyed the hell of me. I felt that all she ever did moan. She thought herself as "average" looking and told us that repeatedly. Which made to want to actually slap her because she obviously isn't average. She has men drooling over her and everytime she makes a comment about looking average it comes across like she is fishing for complements. A lot of the time I forgot she was actually 22! She isn't all the mature and the characters feels more like 17.

When she moves in with her new room mates (don't even get me started on how that happened because it would give away spoilers) they all instantly like her. They are all hot there is no doubt there. Drew, Colin and Liam. All three are models but really quite down to earth once you get to know them. However, at times the do come across quite stalkerish (<---is that a word? lol).

Now I can't really comment on the actual plot because I feel like I would end up spoiling a lot of it. So I will just say that is was very interesting! It was a lot of fun and light-hearted. There is a good mix of romance, a little bit of mystery and a lot of humour. Lucky Number Four is a very funny read. Although some of the events are slightly unrealistic.

Characters and unrealistic events aside the author has created a very fun read. The reader can easily get lost in Dora's world, drooling over hot men. I really like the author's style of writing. It was quite unique and very witty which kept me hooked on the story. She throws in a few curve balls to keep the readers guessing and by the end I will admit that I did like Dora even though I didn't at first.

I do suggest if you are looking for a really quick read and you like romance then give this a try. :)
on 5 January 2014
My review:

I adored the plot and the whole idea of this story! It was sweet, funny and fresh and well-written book and it was a pure joy reading it!

Plot

Lucky Number Four introduces you to Pandora who is looking for a new place to live. Her best friends have just gotten married and Pandora wants to give them more space to explore the lives as newlyweds. She sees an ad for a rental apartment and she calls.

The meeting with her new potential roommates changes her life. It's a hilarious situation where many girls would love to end up with. She finds out, that her new roommates would be 3 gorgeous world famous male models and she doesn't want it! The three "modelteers" do not give up that easily. They convince Dora that this place is exactly what she needs and what's more important she is what they need.

Besides that, Liam, Colin and Drew have already organized her moving in. She is annoyed and furious about it. This is how her journey starts. Being a girl who is down to earth and not used to living a glamorous life, she finds it very difficult to be around these three models. She gets used to her surroundings though. Her self-esteem suffers a little, but the guys love her honesty and the fact that she is used to different life.

Soon she starts fancy two of her roommates, but she can't figure it out who is it going to be. It's not a usual triangle, not at all, it's just what is going on in Dora's head while she is thinking.

I loved that the book was written from two different points of views. The biggest part of the book is written from Dora's view, but there is another mysterious story teller. You don't find out who the secret admirer of Dora is until the very end of the book. I found that very appealing and it made the book suspenseful. I loved it.

The story is very well-written, it was funny, filled with awkward and cute situations which Dora is facing. I laughed a lot while reading! It's a real gem.

Characters:

I loved Dora! She is as cute and down to earth as they come. I loved reading her thoughts, dreams and fantasies. She is sweet as a peach, but can solidly stand her grounds.

What is there not to love about Drew, Colin and Liam? They are nice, gorgeous and very different from each other. Drew is the cocky one, Liam the quiet one and Colin the charming one. They were really sweet to Dora and I loved how they treated her. I really had difficulties for guessing which one of them was pining for Dora.

There were other great characters in the book: Dora's psychic mother, Dora's study buddy and friends - they all leave their mark in the story and bring a lot of fun as well!

Generally:

I savoured this book! As said previously it's a gem, Lucky Number Four is a book which makes you feel good, filling you with lots of positive emotions and giving you lots of giggles. It's sincerely written and trust me when I am saying that you don't want to miss it! You will love it!
on 5 January 2014
Ok where to start this book is an awesome down to earth read that left me with such a good feeling I can't wait to read it again .
So let's start
The story is about a girl who was part of the 3 amigos then her two best friends married ( sweet I know ) they all live together like BFF do , but the newly married fooling around tells pandora it's time to move out .
Lucky for here she finds a room to let and that's when all the fun begins .
Pandora or as we call her Dora , I love this girl beautiful inside and out down to earth sweet so sweet it's sickly but in a good way . A girl that radiates goodness in all it's glory and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside .
3 guys so different but so alike BFF from around the globe
Drew mmmm yum yum .
A guy who can turn heads cocky but hot to trot.( I would )
Colin ...
The charming adorable one with an ascent to make you swoon
A smooth talker who I bet can talk he's way into anything or out of anything ( if you get my drift )
Liam ...
The shy one who seems out of place apart from the good looking hot bodied guy like the others .
Sweet but extremely quite ( you know what they say about the quite ones lol wonder if it's true) .
Ok so that's a brief description .
The book left me in ore Llosa for words ( if you know me that's like impossible )
This book has lots of different feeling running through the story
All feel good factor is what you get while reading , I didn't want the book to finish and when I'd did I went Orrh I'm hoping there's a follow up as it's was a fun easy relax read
You miss reading this book and you re really going to kiss out
on 23 January 2014
This wasn't a terrible book, but it wasn't a memorable book either. It started well with college student Dora (pandora) moving in to share an appartment with 3 hot sexy male models, Now what girl wouldn't love that???
I Felt the story could have been a lot better, all the ingredients were there. But for me it lacked depth, there wasn't really a lot of communication between Dora and the 3 hunks, Colin, Liam and Drew who apparently was in love with her.
Although i didn't feel any connection between them and it dragged it out till they decided a couple of chapters before the end they were in love. We didn't really get to know the guys at all, most of the story was from Dora's pov and that was spent with moanin and self doubt about being pretty enough for one of these hot guys.

I was disappointed because its a story with great potential !!!
on 28 January 2014
I liked the idea behind the book, reminded me a little bit of 'New Girl' tv series. Also, the fact that Pandora is coming from a sort of psychic family could have been a great asset to the book itself.
Instead, the book is ok and sure it is well written, but I found Pandora a little difficult to like, especially for her constantly whining about being a normal girl, with a normal life... wake up girl, in theory you are a psychic!
The book has a lot of potential, but I felt like the author throws a little bit too much together and then forgot bit and pieces.
I do love her family though and the scenes in her parents house are hilarious!
The psychic line could have been developed a bit more and not only when she actually reminded of her gift.
on 15 January 2014
This book is 'nice', but full of plot holes, unanswered questions and basically has an under developed storyline.

It's a quirky premise badly executed. The 'mystery male' chapters were a nice thought but again, for me, lacked conviction and passion so really ended up adding little to the story.

The heroine - well where to start? Apparently highly attracted to one man (who seemed to reciprocate) to switch to another with little development.

Crappiest of crap excuses for h running from H towards end of book then rushed conclusion.

No, sorry, it just didn't work. Bleuch.
on 12 January 2014
I can't believe this is Amanda Jason's debut book, it is beyond words. I was hooked from page 1. I loved the idea that we had an unknown persons p.o.v and it kept us hanging on until 3am..pat the end. I also loved how it was a romance with the thrill of the chase which was just as exciting as any shades of Gray style story. Very happy that they got their HEA and would love to read Colin and Jeffs stories. I would definitely recommend this book to others and will certainly be looking for other books from Amanda Jason. I will be like a cat on hot tin roof waiting for other stories to follow!