Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.68

on 23 August 2016
The storyline was incessant with an intriguing and exciting plot. Engaging characters in a web of mystery and action. Very enjoyable reading.
on 21 August 2014
I rather enjoyed his previous book and commenced this with that feeling.
However, the plot becomes rather too contrived and difficult situations somehow get neatly sorted to save the plot.
My problem it the breathtakingly lame ending. I cannot believe Mr Pavone did not get some strong advice about it from his editor. Advice such as "is that it?".
Do not not read this, rather, read it and see if you agree with me.
on 3 May 2017
my second Chris Pavone and enjoyed it as much as my first. just love how quick paced it is, really short sections within chapters so you feel you dip in and out. Huge cast of very real people, love the locations, all round the world, all feel very real too. If I had to criticise, and it's not the author's fault, it is that the whole thing here has become out of date. Nowadays we all know that if a politician, business person or celebrity had a terrible secret then they would just front it out, they would be shameless and there would be no need to try to hush it up. (not giving the plot away, the basic premise is all on the book description) so I kept thinking, what a lot of fuss, would anyone care, nowadays, post-truth? But still hugely enjoyed the cracking pace. Might take a break and read a different type of book next, then Expats later in the year!
on 15 February 2015
I loved the Expats so don't think this lived up to my high expectation even though it's a good enough read. The plot is good but there isn't enough development of characters other than the main 3 protagonists, and it's quite fragmented so I was confused who was who. It's written in the present tense - an increasing trend that I find annoying. That said, it kept me reading it till the end.
on 6 March 2015
This is an enjoyable read that keeps you guessing. It's well written, twists and turns and does evoke a good sense of place between New York and several European locations. But by the end you've kind of tired of the relentlessly rising body count. And you kind of question the plausibility. The black ops CIA angle is covered well enough. But just think. If a major publishing mogul, say Murdoch or a Maxwell, had this back story with an appalling crime committed in their youth would a government agency really go to all this trouble to cover it up? I think we'd all just shrug, cry a bit about injustice but the world would roll on. There's also a character called Kate who manages to interweave between deadly assassin and regular stay at home mum which is a bit barking. For all that, it's an engrossing read and well enough told story.
on 7 April 2014
I bought this as my wife had been givena brief resume at teh station. It seemed OK but when i read the book, i thought, why did i bother? Probably Ok fo a long plane/ train journey but not as good as they'd like you to think & I'd not bother if I had the chance again!
on 16 August 2014
HOW dangerous a job can it be, being a literary agent? Deadly, it seems, in the case of Isabel Reed.

An anonymously written book called The Accident has landed on her desk, and it’s dynamite. It’s about a real-life media tycoon with power and contacts that would cause something more than the odd ruction in the political world if it were published.
The CIA aren’t happy, and people are winding up dead over it. So, who’s behind the book? And who’s going to wind up on a slab for even so much as looking at it?

Brilliantly, the dastardly machinations, the devious ploys, the breathless hounding and the revealing of the truth are sorted out in 24 thrill-packed hours. Awesome, as we’ve come to expect from Yanks.
on 28 March 2014
This story started well enough setting out a decent plot however, that is where the the disappointment and frustration set in. I have not read a book like this for a long time, abruptly flitting about from character to character and present to past. This for me was very disjointed and did not make for an enjoyable read. It is also very disheartening as the storyline is actually very good with some good twists, but the entertainment is destroyed by the writing style.

Isabel Reed is a literary agent presented with a manuscript from an anonymous author. The author has written a revealing account of the life of a media mogul who appears to have friends who will go to extremes to prevent the publication of the book. Who will win the day and what is the truth is such hard work to find out it does not get my recommendation.
on 6 January 2015
I liked the premise of this book and the book's different subject as described on the back cover. As I read I found the book was so longwinded that any assertion to it being a nail-biter (as claimed) disappeared under the verbiage. This could have been a page-turner if the author had concentrated on plot and hacked off 150(?) pages. If you like a book that describes people smoking, having sex, eating and various other descriptions that did not drive the plot forward this is for you. I could not wait to get to the end yesterday and get onto something else. An ending which I did not believe but that may be because I was so bored.
I am left wondering if authors are told they must write long books or editors no longer wield the red pen.
on 17 May 2014
What author Chris Pavone gives us in his new novel "The Accident" is a series of "ones". One day in the lives of a group of inter-related characters , one explosive non-fiction manuscript that threatens the very lives of many of these individuals, and one ruthless media mogul and his assorted cronies bent on keeping the manuscript from ever being published. Unlike Pavone's first novel "The Expats" which dealt primarily with spies, this story is set in the world of publishing with side trips into political maneuvering and dirty dealing performed under the guise of national security.

It appears that the world of publishing is filled with individuals who will do whatever it takes to survive in a cut-throat business. (Ditto for CIA and FBI operatives.) From New York literary agent Isabel Reed and her assistant Alexis to owner/publisher Brad McNally and his editor Jeffrey to subsidiary rights director Camilla Glyndon-Browning, each sees the anonymous submission as a ticket to success, while CIA Copenhagen station chief Hayden Gray is trying desperately to hold on to his own "golden ticket."

Although all the action takes place in one day it does initially take a bit of concentration to keep the cast straight since the author moves back and forth in time via the various characters recollections of old secrets and lies and more recent revelations. No spoilers here but I will say that the end of this book contains an extra layer of complexity that elevates the story from just average to mildly satisfying. 31/2 stars