I bought this box set on the basis that it contains books by two of my favourite authors, SM Reine, and Robert J Crane, with 2 extras thrown in for good measure.... and what a bargain it was

I have enjoyed everything these two have written....

Called - by Robert J Crane is something of a different genre than the previous series i have read from him. Nevertheless, as with all his work, I found this to be well written, engaging, humerous with a kick ass hero and a great cliff hanger ending. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes their demon fiction....cant wait for the next one... (hint hint!).

Witch Hunt- by SM Reine is a spin off of sorts from the Elise Kavanagh novels. I love how SM's stories link in seamlessly - again, well written and drew me in from the off, which was good, because I wasnt expecting to like a story about the OPA. Again, thoroughly recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 January 2014
Four highly entertaining Urban Fantasy stories..

Witch Hunt
Sort of sucks big time when the tables get turned on you, especially when you're the one usually dishing out the judgment and punishment. Poor old Cèsar just can't seem to catch a break when he wakes up to find himself in the midst of a crime scene and he is the only viable suspect. Unfortunately he can't remember who, when, what or how and that may have something to do with the 50 Shades of Alcohol from the night before. So what does a member of the supernatural law enforcement do when caught in such a predicament?
Yes, that's right, he makes a run for it like any sensible law-abiding chap would.
After being thrust into the world of 'you're on your own and we don't care if you hang' attitude of both his employer and to some extent his partner Suzy, he takes matters into his own hands. They only way to get answers is to ask the only other person there that night.
But...you mean the dead person? Yes, right again. Cèsar has concocted a foolproof plan to prove his innocence, which would be fine if he was 100% sure he didn't do it, there is just this teeny weeny Tequila worm of doubt wriggling in his memory.

Called
This is something completely different for Crane.
A walk on the darker, more gruesome border of the worlds of Urban Fantasy.
I am not sure how I feel about this one. It lacked the distinctive style and Craneness I have come to enjoy about his books and yet it had a certain je ne sais quoi.
We have a trio of main characters, Hollywood the gentleman demon with the morals of an alley cat, Hendricks the nonchalant demon-hunter and Arch the cop with a conscience. Three strong men who couldn't be more different and yet each one interwoven into the hidden world of the supernatural.
The story seemed to overwhelm the characters though, which meant they left less of an overall imprint than they could and should have done.
The sense of evil is ripe and the feeling that worse is yet to come lingers like a overpowering sense of foreboding throughout the tale. Simultaneously Crane has managed to stamp his own special brand of wit on the story. The end-product is a mad mix of limb-chomping (literally) horror, quirky humour meets Urban Fantasy.
One thing I have to mention is the accent and general feeling of the setting. I swear whilst I read it I could hear a southern drawl throughout.

Flaming Dove
If all the Fallen Angels are brothers then doesn't that make the daughters and sons of said angels relatives of all the other angels. So technically that makes Beelzebub an uncle to the half-sisters Bet-al and Laila. That makes all the seducing of very young girls just ever so slightly incestuous and Beelzebub a little less of a charming seducer.
The concept was quite interesting but the story suffered a little from repetitive phrases and the superb battle between the evil and good forces was overshadowed by the romantic overtures of the overeager Lord of Hell.
With Beelzebub being such a lech with a penchant for young virgins it might be easy to overlook another dilemma I found intriguing.
There is a grey area in between the evil demons and the good angels. Laila is both, which means she is neither completely demon nor angel. Then there is the issue of Bat-al changing her affiliations. So that must mean that angels and demons can be good and/or evil and perhaps a combo of the two. The murky waters that follow this conclusion are bound to ruffle some feathers and bat wings.

Cursed
The beginning is a tad somber much like the main character Albert Shipway. There isn't much that isn't wrong about his life and to top it all off he ends up making the acquaintance of an odd old woman who decides he needs to be cursed.Just when you think things can't get worse than they are and you find they can.
In one day Albert gets a curse, becomes a father of a baby kidnapped by his psycho ex-wife and finds there is a small matter of a serial killer gone zombie Golem to deal with. Happy Days.
Oh and of course there is the minor issue of his curse in form of his mouse phobia. They are simply everywhere giving him the major heebie-jeebies. I can't say that mice bother me very much, although I would find it mildly irritating if they were harassing me every second of the day.
The build-up of the evil father-in-law come back to life to kill again was good, however it culminated in a very short ending of said Golem. Shame really seeing as the previous info on the man was quite creepy, I was expecting a lot more from that character.
It is an entertaining read with a sense of morbid and a quirky sense of humour.

I received a copy of this box-set courtesy of the authors, although I actually ended up buying a copy of it to keep, hence the AVP.
on 29 March 2014
The first two novels in this set are excellent. SM Reine's Witch Hunt and Robert J Crane's Called make this box set worthwhile and I would recommend them to anyone who likes urban fantasy.

The remaining two novels though, are patchy at best. Flaming Dove isn't what I would call an Urban Fantasy, more like a straight out fantasy. It's ending left me questioning it's own internal logic - the 'twist' doesn't actually make much sense. Characters are cardboard and flat. Cursed was slightly better but not by much which was a real surprise as I usually like JR Rain's novels.

Buy this for the first two novels!
on 23 February 2014
I know I like sm raine a lot so am looking forward to reading that, so far I have read 'Called' by Robert J Crane and 'Flaming Dove' by Daniel Arenson.

The first was a perfectly readable demon hunter novel, rather male centered and not memorable but never the less enjoyable.

The second is very innovative,interesting and has left me wanting to read more by this author. I have a few niggles about his use of heroic language but that is insignificant when compared to the overall impact of the book.
on 22 March 2014
I bought this box set for Robert J Crane's book, Cursed, which was as a fantastic read. I'm now hooked on to another of his book sets. If you like his Girl in the Box series you'll love this too. The story is full of the supernatural with a few fun twists in the plot. The other stories were an added bonus as they were all good reads following in the same genre.
on 6 March 2014
I chose this series because it was a bargain and not my usual genre but I was not disappointed. In my opinion, one of the books was not as good as the others but I still really enjoyed this series and will probably read more by one of the authors
on 7 April 2014
A great way of being introduced to new authors, these books were bought to pass the time and I was pleasantly surprised at how well written they all were. Will be looking for the follow up stories very soon.
on 10 February 2014
havent finished all stories yet, but read flaming dive and wow..
i was glued! really felt for main character and would NEVER of guessed the ending..
big reader of urban fantasy? then flaming dove is a must read:)
on 10 February 2014
Bought this as it had an sm reine book in it. Belting reads all of them. Few new author's for me too .
on 1 February 2014
Even though I only read the first and last books. I tried to read the other two but I just couldn't get into them, but the first and last books where brilliant and for the price, I can't complain.