Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 23 June 2015
From the word go I was unable to put this book down. It is like this woman has sight of the inside of my brain, she knows exactly how it is to have people expect so much of you and the struggle people have trying to meet those expectations. The more I read of this book the more I took on Francesca's persona of not wanting to give a f*** and to do things for me. It had me in fits of laughter and floods of tears, both of which were all around the swimming pool on holiday. Several people asked me about the book I was reading and I could not have sung this books praises any more. YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK. Francesca is a beautifully witty, sarcastic, funny woman who will cast you under her spell and teach you not to care and do things for YOU. Absolutely loved it. 100 out of 10!!!
on 16 February 2015
I was bought this book by a friend as my 10 year old son is also wobbly (mild cerebral palsy).

Firstly, it delivers on spades on the comedy front. I only read 2 books a year at the most and this was difficult to put down.

Most importantly for me however (and parochially speaking), it gave me a wonderful insight into Francesca's thoughts as she was growing up being 'wobbly'. From Francesca's writing, I have taken so much that helps me (and will help me) better support my son.

So, if you want to challenge yourself on how you view 'normality' (not that it exists), how to better understand what being wobbly is and you enjoy a well written, thought provoking and amusing book, this is the book for you. Go buy it!
on 10 November 2016
Brilliant, brilliant book. Francesca Martinez gives an honest, humorous and moving account of her life being 'wobbly'. She doesn't want to be seen as an inspiration, but everyone could learn a lesson or two from her attitude to life. I listened to the audio version which she narrated herself and it was truly a pleasure to listen to her story in her own voice. Life can be difficult for everyone and if you have a disability it can be harder, more because of how society is set up than anything else. However, she also proves that a disability doesn't have to hold you back, that you can turn the cards life has given you, into a positive. Highly recommend this book for so many reasons and I'll be recommending into my bookclub for my next book.
on 24 June 2014
Don't let the title and the blurb make you think this is 300-odd words of impassioned polemic: it's not. And as the opening disclaimer stresses, nor is Francesca Martinez here to inspire you. She is an entertainer, first and foremost, as her life story soon makes clear. Passed over for leads in school plays, forced to play basketball against her will, told that her ambition to act is unrealistic, and shunned by classmates for having no TV and using long words, she then leads us on a journey through her five years in Grange Hill, and then the realisation of what being 'normal' in this world is really about. The style is easy, the jokes are funny, and by the last page, you'll love her to bits. This is the best book I've read in ages.
on 30 December 2014
I had enjoyed Francesca's all too infrequent appearances on TV and radio but knew nothing about the book when I saw it on the shelf at a real bookshop, just thought I'd give it a go. Somehow this made it to the top of my pile of half read books over Christmas. Unlike the rest, brilliant as they all are, I couldn't put it down.

I'm not qualified to judge it as literature but it made me cry laughing. It is not a serious philosophy book but it made me think about many things in a different way.

I don't believe that a book has to be hard work to be worth reading and this was a pleasure.

If I write more I'll put people off and I really don't want to do that. Funny, clever and naughty, my sort of humour.
on 5 June 2014
Possibly the most poignant, hilarious, self-aware autobiography I've ever read. Martinez is a one-off. If you've ever felt like an 'outsider' and tried to hide it, she'll prove that you don't need to hide anything. Wonderful stuff.
on 14 July 2015
This is a real life changer.

This life story is very enjoyable and entertaining. However, the most important thins is how it changes the way you view yourself.

Society is constantly trying to fit us into a box that they are comfortable with, with no regard to you. They seem to forget that you may not want to be popped into the box they constructed. Francesca decided that she didn't want to be in a box any more. She is Francesca. She doesn't below in a box marked with a label. She doesn't need to wait for others to approve. She is free is approves of herself. This really is the key to leading a happy and successful life.

Do yourself a massive favor and change your life by reading this book.
on 31 May 2014
One of the best reads I've had in an age, Francesca's book is warm, funny, moving and unflinchingly honest..

I've embarrassed myself mightily over the past few days, reading it on my train journey to work; my fellow passengers have been treated to my giggling uncontrollably, the occasional hoot of laughter and more than a few tears, clearly not normal behaviour - but then, as the lovely Miss Martinez says, what the **** is normal!

Treat yourself, treat your friends, treat the person on the seat opposite and purchase this book. There is no guarantee it will change your life (although it might) but there is a cast iron guarantee that you will read one of the most charming books of your life.
on 17 October 2014
I went and listened to Francesca at the Laugharne festival. She made me laugh so much I nearly wet myself and she also managed to make me cry - all within the same hour. The book is just fantastic, its like listening to her talk - very uncontrived and natural and full of positive 'can do' commentary but not in a Pollyanna-ish style, dont be fooled, she oozes positivity but she is also a real fighter for changing society's attitudes. Viva the wobbly revolution! Read this book - it'll make you think and hopefully it may make you challenge some of those things you take for granted a little more and then when you've read it buy at least another half a dozen copies and give them as Christmas presents
on 18 July 2015
I read this book in a day after seeing Francesca on This Morning, and I'm so glad I did. It's a revelation - the autobiography side to it is a fascinating read, both heartwarming, funny and painful to read in equal measure. What makes this book different is Francesca's take on life, it's infectious and you can't help but find yourself nodding in agreement to her observations - for example "We’re not born with these boulder-like burdens of self-doubt. Toddlers don’t cry because their bums look big in Pampers." It has made me look at life in a different way - everyone should read it - in fact it should be compulsory reading for all school children - it might make the world a better place!