on 29 May 2014
Being a fan of Jon Ronson, I was looking forward to Frank despite only having a passing interest in Frank Sidebottom.

I think this is the only "book" that i've read from cover to cover in under 40 minutes.

The typeface can be read from the moon, there's scant information in the book, and it's basically a long article. There's next to no "on the road" anecdotes, and Ronson manages to make his time in the band sound like the worlds most boring experience.

The book could of benefited from some editing too. That said, doing so would of made this book the length of a menu.

It's worth a read for 50p on the kindle, sure. Don't buy the book though.
on 22 June 2015
A month or so after checking out the movie and being delighted that after a few years I had finally watched something modern that was a bit different, I started watching some of Frank Sidebottom’s old footage on You Tube.

I wasn’t overly impressed straight away, I must admit. This was until I found his ‘Proper telly show’, from channel M. Suddenly I got it - as strange of a phenomenon as he is – I got it. I was in stitches at some of the child-like whimsical humour, which strangely appeals to older audiences. He somehow borders the outrageous, without being dirty or offensive. It is a real talent.

This does not mean that comedians that push the boundaries of taboos do not have their place and people can get easily offended especially when irony is involved. But Frank is something refreshing, different, odd and off-beat – but in a good way.

My curiosity peaked and I decided to read more on him. As this book was more of a first-hand account of ‘the true story that inspired the movie’ I thought it may have given a few more insights into his life from someone who knew him well and also shed light on what parts of the screenplay were fictionalised and which were true to real life.

Although the book is well written in terms of being concise and even non-sensationalist, I think it attempts to be too objective / matter of fact and therefore some of the emotional and funny stories are not squeezed of all their potential juiciness.

A couple of the anecdotes brought a smile to my face and a couple of the sadder aspects tugged at the heart strings a little. There is also an apt analogy of frank attempting to adapt the world to himself rather than vice versa in there, which really hits the nail on the (paper-mached) head.

It is a decent, easy read, but it is just a little too short-lived and journalistic for my liking. I know Jon Ronson is a Journo but as he was in the band himself and was reasonably close to both contrasting personas (Frank and Chris Sivey), I guess I was expecting something with a little more in depth.

Perhaps Jon Ronson didn’t want to step on Mike Middles’ toes, the author (and fellow journalist) of Frank Sidebottom: Out of His Head.
I have not read the latter, so it is hard to contrast. But with such a strange, overwhelming surge of curiosity on the man behind the mask / under the head - I think I would have rather purchased this book instead.

It is considerably more expensive, so perhaps Jon Ronson’s offering is more for those who simply want to dip their toe in the water or just want a little insight into the film.
on 16 October 2016
You should not buy this 'book'. Really, it's more of a directionless pre-movie-launch ramble. I love Jon Ronson but, frankly (pardon the pun), I feel ripped off by this pamphlet. I expected to learn more about Chris Sievey. I expected to learn more about Frank Sidebottom. I expected more than a 30-minute read from a £6 purchase. I expected more of Jon Ronson. For shame, JR. For shame.

Edit: In fact, I'm so incensed by the quality of this product that I've returned it for a refund (because I just learned that that's possible). To be clear: I enjoyed reading it. But it's not a good piece of work, and terrible value for money.
on 7 September 2015
I really enjoy reading Jon Ronsons articles, books etc. BUT on this occasion I feel truly ripped off. I eagerly started reading the book and then an hour or so later it was finished! Not sure who puts the details on Amazon, but unless you read the small print you will discover it is very short indeed. It costs less to buy Men Who Stare at Goats, an actual novel.
on 16 October 2015
NOT the true story that inspired the movie! More of a booklet with pictures which is partly about Frank/Chris and mostly about how long it took to get the film written. Huge print, wide margins and long quotes from other people. Have read longer and more detailed prefaces!
on 2 June 2014
A few interesting insights but overall this felt like a book written purely as something for Jon Ronson to sign at his talks about the film 'Frank' which is a film that's not really got much in common with the story of Frank Sidebottom. Short at under 70 pages many of which are photo pages, many of which are stills from the film. An brief introduction to Frank Sidebottom at best. Did I mention a film's been made...?
on 23 June 2014
Firstly I should say that I am a big fan of Jon Ronson's writing which ultimately was the main reason I bought this book .. and also the fact that I know something of Frank Sidebottom, having seen him at some point back in the mid-nineties.
Anyway, I'm kicking myself for not having read some of the reviews of this book as many people seem to have the same issues with it that I have.
In short, excuse the pun, it's very short and doesn't really tell us a great deal. I sat down today at lunchtime and started the book and found that in little over an hour I'd finished it. The fact that I paid £5.51 for the privilege is more than a little galling.
on 26 June 2016
Although I'm usually a fan of Jon's work, I have to agree with many of the other reviewers. This is an extremely short book, appearing to be little longer than his articles in The Guardian. This is therefore a rather disappointing offering from a usually talented, insightful and engaging author. Can't help feeling 'ripped off' :(
on 21 March 2015
What's there is brilliantly written, but the truth is its only twenty minutes worth of text at best. More of a lengthy magazine article than a book
on 29 March 2015
Ridiculously short book. Not worth buying at all. Put me off the film now too. 71 pages! Laughable and not in a good way.