on 19 February 2007
Of all the self-help and self-improvement (PMA) books that I have read in my life, this one is the best. Claude Bristol wrote "The Magic of Believing" in the late forties when the subconscious mind was less understood. He only knew that there was some kind of powerful psychic force that exists, that can be tapped for man's good. Intuitively, I think I have always known this.

The mind is like a thermostat, and once set at a level of accomplishment, it will not allow the individual to exceed that set level. The thermostat is really what you believe is possible for you. When "the area of the possible" expands for you, your accomplishments will expand as well.

This is not really "magic," it only seems that way. It is really natural forces at work that are not completely understood, yet may be used for your benefit. Faith often has a wonderfully positive placebo effect. You're already halfway to your own success just by believing it is so.

I re-read this book every few years. I am always amazed at the insights it contains. Definitely another one of those books for the bedside to boost your waning moral from time to time.
44 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2003
...you're right!" -- Henry Ford
Have you ever known someone who constantly thinks doom and gloom, and seems to find it at every turn? Have you ever known someone who expects the best of every situation and always seems to get it? That, according to author Claude Bristol, is the Magic of Believing.
The Magic of Believing works because Bristol was himself a skeptic at first. He presents this controversial topic with complete objectivity, addressing and overcoming objections throughout, and creates an excellent case for the power of belief.
Bristol reminds us that "...whatever we fix our thoughts upon or steadily focus our imaginations upon, that is what we attract." He doesn't assume that thought alone will bring success, but also encourages the reader to develop a plan of action, and gives simple steps to help make it a reality.
I can personally vouch for the validity of this material. The unconscious application of these principles has taken me to international acclaim as an author, when three years ago my only resources were a written affirmation statement and a strong belief.
Here's the funny part...it only works if you believe that it will work! If you don't, it won't. Do yourself a favor -- hang on to that naive belief long enough to see it work for you. This book could be where it all starts
0Comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2003
This book is empowering, but is is also wordy. If you are prepared to wade through reams and reams of anecdotes and verbiage, you will get to the basic important tenet, which is that your beliefs can change your life, you are in charge of your beliefs, so therefore you are in charge of your life. The mirror technique is powerful and it works.
This book can be recommended for what it is, a great little book with lots of pages and one basic idea. It's a great idea, however, and it works.
on 9 October 2011
This was a fascinating and quick read. It emphasizes the amazing power of thought and belief and shows how we can improve our experience. The book doesn't so much explain where the power comes from, but how to use it. When we change our thoughts, we change our experience. It's like the old adage: I don't care how the light works. I just want to turn on the switch. Includes practical suggestions.
on 22 January 2015
A love for the late, great Phyliss Diller led me to find this book. Astounding theories, many I have practised. There is a lot of sound advice here. Skeptics may mock it but it has been a driving force for me in my own day to day life and work. I'll let you know if I get there!
on 14 July 2011
I recently bought the magic of believing and it is a truly amazing book. it shows alot of views and opinions on how believing in yourself can change your life. I never put it down and I never get bored of this book. it is very interesting and very helpful. you do however need an open mind to read this sort of book. have fun :)
on 27 June 2010
Excellent book, and a most enjoyable read. The delivery was first class - in every sense of the phrase, and I would not hesitate to purchase from this seller again anytime. The content is informatitive, and is a forerunner to 'The Secret' - Well worth a read.
This is a small book as shown and this makes for an easy read.The contents are very inspiring.The author explores the concept of the power of thought, a very powerful tool which can make or mar our lives.The magic of believing a goes beyond that to touch on believing and the concepts.It is a very good book.
on 8 October 1997
"What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve". We have heard that many a times over. Now I got to know through this book, how and why what the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. It's a must for anybody in any profession for self development towards success.
on 19 December 2007
The subconscious mind is a colossal dynamo. Throughout history, great rulers, warriors, statesmen, inventors, writers, artists, poets and religious leaders have used it to attain their objectives. You, too, can put your mind's remarkable force to work. In this enduringly popular, updated 1948 classic, Claude M. Bristol asserts that if you firmly believe that you can be successful, and remind yourself of this belief, over and over, you will succeed. His book is filled with colorful stories and anecdotes about people throughout history who used the power of belief to get what they wanted. He is a true believer that thinking about something the right way will make it happen. Many of Bristol's tales are intriguing, though some of his advice may seem a bit farfetched. For example, when guests overstay their welcome, try getting them to leave quickly by thinking, "Go home now, go home now, go home now." According to Bristol, if you formulate this thought when the conversation lulls and you can barely contain your yawns, "The results will astonish you." Whether or not this particular mind-control technique works, we recognize the lasting popularity of Bristol's inspirational book. For nearly 60 years, he has told people worldwide how to achieve their goals with the power of thought and attitude. Read it to learn his ideas on putting belief, imagination and suggestion to work for you.