VINE VOICEon 6 January 2014
Altrogge has a knack with words. But more that this. This is a beautiful description of life with God. A generous serving of gospel delight.
Here is a glorious vision of Jesus. Stephen Altrogge clearly believes that it's a crime to bore people with Jesus, despite this being our cultural default. Myths are deconstructed, unreality and error are engaged with in gentle but impactful ways. This is a robustly researched and strongly written new work. We are taken to the place of great truth, for 'when God dies to us, we die in ourselves.' Yet few authors let the scale of God remain gloriously beyond their measure, their language and their containment. Altrogge is one of these rare and precious voices.

The structure, spirit and close of the book for me were some of the best parts of this writing. This will cause you to be renewed in your confidence of Christ as Saviour and God.

Here is the God who 'breaks our vocabulary' who exceeds our biggest view of Him and just doesn't say love: He actually proves it. This is far beyond the shallows, its a compelling invitation to our "incredible, glorious, untameable God." This is full of engaging language, stimulating thought and searing theology. Top-class stuff.

Fresh, faithful and heartfelt.
on 5 April 2014
I've nearly finished this book but couldn't wait to the end to write the review. I have found it both insightful and encouraging. Found it really useful for understand more of the nature of God and how that should shape the way we both regard and respond to Him.
on 11 March 2014
Altrogge's book is an enjoyable one that paints a lovely picture of how great God is - greater than our wildest imaginations. However, I can't help but feel that the current penchant for multiple adjectives in book titles (and sentences within the book) is a tad laboured (and faddish). Multiple adjectives rarely stimulate my awe in God and I felt that this was overused in the book. Apart from this criticism, this is an enjoyable book that will refresh your vision of a God who is so much greater than our imaginations.
on 26 February 2014
This is an excellent read; contemporary, informative, thought-provoking and very funny. Easy and quick to read, I would recommend it to non Christians and Christians at any stage in their spiritual journey. Gives you a huge spiritual reality check!
on 24 March 2014
Brings an up-to-date interpretation to a range of biblical accounts and enables us to appreciate how really tremendous and great God is. It is useful for those wishing to deepen their understanding and experience of God. It is also useful as a good discussion starter for those wishing to explore these issues with others.
on 12 March 2014
This is a very readable book, yet contains so much truth. The author has a wonderful sense of humour and succeeds in gently poking fun at our preconceptions in such a way as to make us re-think our assumptions. The topic is so important - the title says it all!
on 25 July 2014
Challenging and thought-provoking. Reminds us of the immensity of God, and how God calls us to interact with Him and with the world whilst keeping this truth firmly at the forefront of our minds. Recommended.
on 14 June 2014
Excellent book, written honestly and with humour, made me move around a lot as I recognised myself so often :( but having to rethink my position with God and has given me much to think about.
on 8 March 2014
This read is challenging and down to earth, i really enjoyed the fresh and realistic look at this amazing God we, who love him, follow. A brilliant book and well worth a read.
on 5 May 2014
Refreshing ,inspiring ,encouraging. I loved this book. A great book to give to friends. It is very easy to read and understand. Well worth the time you spend on it.