on 31 May 2015
Very unprofessional print-job. The print lurches around in parts of the book, the cover and pages are very cheap. Not edited properly, some of the writing is confusing and clear mistakes have been left in. At one point, the children's ages change twice within one page! Also an odd reference to playing computer games in the late 1960's… I bought on the strength of the reviews and I have to say, I am somewhat dubious about them. Unfortunately, this all detracts from the story itself. It's like a half-engaging, rambling story that some ol' fella is telling you over his pint in the pub. There's no attempt to put any of the 'events' to anyone outside the family, apart from some blokes from the pub. It's not great, sorry. There are some chilling moments, but the reader is brought to them via sprawling text, poor grammar in parts, and then the potential scary moment is given too much slightly cartoonish detail, and it becomes very, very difficult to take at all seriously. I requested a refund for the first time ever from Amazon as the blurb is so misleading, and this not really a 'proper' book. I won't be troubling the sequel, I'm afraid.
on 1 March 2016
I was looking forward to reading this as I love true ghost stories especially British ones, and all in all this one delivered quite well.
A few things however disappointed me, the writer has a tendency to write in 'American' by that I mean phrases I can't imagine being used in Britain especially during the time period it's set in, I found it quite annoying after a while.
Also the book ends with no real explanation as to what the writer thinks was causing the haunting, at some point in the book she researches the property history but never quite reveals what she discovered, if anything. This lead to feeling rather unsatisifed at the end. I would recommend this book but it's not the greatest read if you love detail.
on 31 December 2014
A car wreck of a book, but hey the girl has a lot of family and friends supporting her. Either that or there are a lot of people easily pleased. A book has to be really excellent or really bad before I'll comment on it and this... is without doubt the latter.
on 8 October 2014
Was desperate to read this when I read the back of the cover and ordered straight away. I have to say I was very disappointed. You're always waiting for something to happen. Not very detailed and only took me an afternoon to read. Sunday/rainy day material.
on 2 July 2017
This book is beyond gripping. I couldn't put it down. Finished it very quickly because of this. Well worth a read. So well written. I love everything about this book.
on 7 October 2014
Written like a child would write a story, all descriptive with no content , boring and disjointed. Finished it but almost gave up.
on 17 August 2014
From the first word to the very last. You read with bated breath.
I enjoyed all the first person accounts, as well as the journey through the years. A fabulous book that won't disappoint.
on 12 May 2016
My only criticism is that the characters of the children seemed too mature and not as believable as the adult characters.
on 5 March 2016
Beautiful story with a beautiful ending kept me enthralled from beginning to end . looking forward to reading more from Stephanie
on 5 June 2017
Haven't read it all yet!