on 8 December 2014
Wow................This is an album of stories through song. Striped back to basic guitar Mary performs with such ease an interesting and sometimes poignant selection of melodies. Some have been penned by the lady herself.
Sadly Mary disappeared from the public eye, but thanks to her daughter Jessica, who rescued and convinced her mother to release old folk recordings on master tapes. We now have a plethora of albums of top high class sound.
This album is totally up to date......and what a voice!!!!! There is a richer sound to the tone, but the haunting high notes and harmonies are still there!!!

The title track is quite a shock in the lyrics and what a clever twist at the end. Certainly makes you think!!
I love the "Gold and Silver" because it actually swells and echoes and I have visions of being lost at sea with mermaids.
"Teardrops"...catchy, but sad in content....Mary sings this with passion and the tone at times brings the feeling of anger.
"Love belongs right here"..... This has had a re-mix with extra guitar as backing. Great story, provides plenty of images. I would love to perform it myself......BUT......I think no one else could do this in the way Mary has performed this haunting tale.

A brilliant album for so many reasons, but leaves you wanting more. I hope Jessica can get her mother to release yet more new material. The world audience is waiting.
on 12 March 2015
Thanks to the Apple Box Set, I have (re) discovered the wonderful Mary Hopkin. After listening «Postcard» and «Earth/Ocean Song» many times, of course I wanted more. So, I ordered Painting… and felt in love with all those songs that I never heard before. Really a beautiful and intimate album. If you love Mary’s vocal and haunting melodies, you won’t be disappointed. A winner.

P.S. : Also five stars to Space Studios for excellent communication and service.
on 27 January 2014
In my opinion her finest work since Earth Song Ocean song, Every track is a winner, I can't pick a favourite every song is a winner.
on 15 December 2014
I've never heard this CD sung by Mary Hopkin before I bought it. What shoud I say: It's grandiose; unbelievable. Best Music ever made by Mary Hopkin. What a voice; what quality of compositions.
on 19 March 2015