on 17 January 2016
Really enjoyed the first book in this series.

Dan has a lovely way of bringing you into his world and sharing it with you.

The peace and serenity he gets from his new way of like I can really relate to. Not quite the same, but since I got over my fear of claustrophobia and managed to get a mask over my face, my two weeks on holiday are spent in my own little world and parts of this, so remind me of those times.

Looking forward to reading the next,
on 11 August 2015
As along time fan of canal boating and spending many a childhood holiday onboard a boat, this interest lay dormant... until... I one day was searching for a new backpack. Which introduced me to a video review of one by Dan Brown on youtube. I thought this is an enthusiastic personable young man, lets see what else he's done.. and what a lot of great stuff he has!

And then I started reading and watching videos about his move onto the canals. So I bought this book to find out more. Will be buying the 2nd and 3rd as well. Very well written and immensely entertaining, by a very likable author. Reading these books is dangerous though, especially if like me you read them on the way to and from work on a packed train, because you find yourself immersed in the boating life and wanting more... and then you get off the train and bump down to earth and resume the rat race.

I think Dan has the right idea, a plod along the canal and a simple life out and about appeals the more I read, perhaps its time I revisited my childhood, dusted off my windlass and sought a bit more from life. Inspirational.
on 19 January 2017
Over the last ten years, the book market seems to have been flooded with accounts of middle aged well-to-do couples who opted for early retirement and took to the road or the waterways. Nice work if you can afford it you might think. Well Dan Brown hardly falls into this category. He was a young lad slaving in a supermarket for the minimum wage who decided life was too short, went part time and bought a cheap rundown narrowboat to make his permanent home. "The Narrowboat Lad" is a mix of diary entries covering the emotional ride of his life changing choice and handy tips for anyone thinking of doing the same. I came across Dan's Youtube channel by chance last year and hoped his unique storytelling skills on video would translate well to the written page - they do.
on 10 August 2013
To one so much older than Daniel this is quite a captivating book in a way. The writing is a little repetitive at times and well, 'young' but the energy and determination displayed is impressive. I did not feel that I gained a lot about the techniques of Narrowboating in general although the descriptions of winter weather boat living were interesting.

I finished it with a smile and a warm feeling towards Daniel. It also made me visit his website, .... with a similar result.
on 16 January 2016
This is an easy read. It's fairly short, so it's easy to give in to the reluctance to put it down. The story is a simple one, but that's part of its charm. To those who know little or nothing about life on the canals, then this is a good, honest introduction. It's a shame that Dan didn't get someone to proofread and edit the text for him. It's full of errors which make the reader cringe at times. But it's still readable, and there are those who don't recognise spelling and grammar mistakes, I'm sure. That said, I'll be reading the rest of this trilogy some time.
on 1 October 2014
This is a truly inspirational piece of writing.

I say that for a number of reasons, not least because Dan Brown writes with a very refreshing honesty, telling us about some of the daft things he has done and how foolish he felt after doing them, but also because of what he has done and is doing, by showing people that there is an alternative way of life, away from the crazy 9 till 5, debt ridden, rinse and repeat 50 year cycle so many people cling onto, myself included. And by illustrating that this life can be available to anyone. This is a valuable lesson, signposting the way to not only a more sustainable way of life, but in the end a happier one too. Bravo Dan!

If you are new to Dan Brown and haven't yet looked at his YouTube page, I recommend it. Both the books and the videos compliment each other.
on 23 February 2015
As with his first book, this one does not disappoint. In fact, I've read it from beginning to end in a couple of sittings! Thoroughly enjoyed reading about the trips on Tilly and in fact, life generally on the canal. Dan manages to evoke the images of long summer days and freezing winter ones with equal clarity drawing the reader in to experience them for him/herself. I also appreciate the 'warts and all' approach to the challenges of life on a narrow boat, it makes for a far more accurate and honest picture of life aboard.
on 19 July 2014
I stumbled across Dan's life adventures on 'Tilly' whilst reviewing YouTube. If you have,not visited his channel do so he appears to be a down to earth sort of guy who enjoys the moment and always seems full of beans. He's living the Dream!

The Narrowboat lad' as he is known has written a good account on how he started 'Living the Dream' I am not a keen reader of books but I found this short book both interesting, thought provoking in relation of life's values. Whilst reading, I also recalled days when I was much much younger fishing, walking and cycling around the Coventry and the Oxford cut, mixing with wildlife and mother nature. Also swimming in the cut!

Love the book, so much so I bought his 2 other books as well. Maybe Dan's got me into reading?
on 9 November 2017
I was initially thinking I would just read a few chapters and see how it panned out. What happened was I read the book in only a few sittings. A wonderful account of a young man doing what his heart asked for. I'm very envious.
on 24 February 2016
Not sure what I was expecting but I have seen lots of Dan's Youtube videos and this book gave me a little insight into how it must have felt when he put all his eggs in one basket and decided to opt for the life afloat. The result is an excellent read. Couldn't put it down.