on 25 May 2014
After getting the results of my genetic genealogy DNA tests, I waded through videos (YouTube and elsewhere), blogs and articles to find out how to interpret the test results. Although I have a science background (though not life sciences) I found the information very difficult to put together - a real jigsaw.

Then I bought this book. It really has managed to set the field out clearly. After reading it through I have found that I can now follow all that information out there again and, this time, make some sense of it.

Yes, there is a lot of jargon in genetic genealogy, just like any other specialisation, but complaining about it won't make it go away. Trying to make head or tail of anyone else's writing on the subject without understanding the jargon becomes simply impossible. One of the things I really appreciated about this book is that it explains the jargon simply and clearly, before it is used.

I found it helpful to make my own notes as I read the book just to help fix things in my memory, but it is a tribute to the author's ability to write clearly that I have not needed to refer back to them since. Oh, just to mention, I'm eighty next year so if I find it that helpful, I'm sure anyone will.

Things are changing rapidly in the field of genetic genealogy but this book gives a really good foundation for following these changes as they arise.
on 29 September 2014
An excellent book for those delving into the realms of DNA testing to uncover family history truths. It is as described in the title - an introduction to the basics of genetics and how testing can show up similarities and differences between different individuals. It then goes on to the different types of tests and how to go about access these appropriately for what you want to discover. It is a book for reference so perhaps better purchased in paper form rather than for a Kindle?
on 7 April 2014
If you are interested in the science of Genetics, plus Family History it is a wonderful book. Very exciting reading, and up-to-date new discoveries, it voids all my other DNA books!
on 25 February 2014
An excellent example of the jargon that surrounds this subject. Too much "beyond" - not enough "basic". Would not do much to help someone who needed the latter.
on 21 February 2015
Excellent, informative
on 17 April 2015
Excellent book an essential guide for anyone wanting to grasp.
on 15 July 2016