TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 February 2015
I first came to these "Choose You Own Adventure" books by way of Potter's In the Magician's House, which is one of the four books, (currently), in the series. That is a lushly written and deeply atmospheric book. "Pirate Island" is stylistically very different, but it is just as satisfying in different ways.

While some "Choose Your Own Adventure" books can be gimmicky, this book does not fall in to that trap. The option of making choices that lead you through the book adds some novelty, and helps to engage the reader in the overall reading experience, but it is the actual adventure that really sustains interest.

Here, our hero is never named. Our hero is "you". This is emphasized by the narrator's use of the second person singular throughout the book. "You" do this and then "you" do that. When used properly, as it is here, I think this adds a detached tone and yet an immediacy, to any narrative. "You" are there, right now. You must make decisions.

In this book "You" are on vacation at an island resort, but you have opted to explore the island and to look for pirate treasure. At the end of each chapter you are presented with a choice between two options. POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERS. As a general rule one choice is a bit more sensible than the other. You can take the apparently safest course at each decision point, (i.e. always turn left at the corner of the maze), or the the riskier course, or you can mix it up. The book bears multiple readings because there are many paths through to a variety of endings. Indeed, since different paths lead through different adventures you will want to go back a few times and make other choices so that you don't miss any of the possible adventures.

In "In the Magician's House" the narrative proceeded at a dreamy pace, with spare but carefully crafted sentences that gently carried you deep into the magician's house. All of this was presented in slightly formal and oddly stilted language that felt like it was being whispered in your ear. In Lost in Lion Country the language, structure and pace is much more in the tradition of Boys Own adventures, so "you" get to be a fit, rough and ready sort with a square jaw and a determined glint in your eye. In "Pirate Island" the emphasis is on describing the island, the jungle, a shipwreck and an abandoned fortress, and you get to be an explorer in a romantic island treasure adventure.

Again, all of the care has not been lavished on the "choosing" part; however you choose it is also always a good adventure. This is just fascinating and compelling stuff, and this book is a remarkable and satisfying find. (By the way, I have an old Kindle Touch and the choose-you-own option worked very smoothly on it; I wasn't sure that would necessarily be the case.)

So, all in all a nice find and a nice choice. Please note that I found this book while browsing Amazon KindleUnlimited freebies. I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book., September 2, 2014
Edit Review
Delete Review
This review is from: Pirate Island (Kindle Edition)

on 3 March 2014
Hidden treasure, just my thing. With one click on my kindle I was transported away from grey and rainy London to a sun filled island. The beach, the boats, the fish! All wonderful. I almost got distracted from the treasure hunt by the fresh and beautiful scenery. This interactive book is a lot of fun. I really enjoy making my own choices - even when they end in disaster. I explored the island thoroughly, went time travelling and am happy to report that I finally found the treasure. But I'm not telling you where it is. You'll have to find that out for yourself!
on 29 April 2015
Which is the right way to go to discover the treasure? You are on vacation on a tropical island in the Caribbean but not wanting to sit around the pool, you decide to go exploring for the pirate treasure that is rumored to be around. Your first decision is whether to go right towards the lighthouse or left towards the rocks and the old fortress.

Depending on your choices, this tale twists and turns and you can really get into the thick of the adventure. If you go one way you may even find yourself back in time with the fortress in use and "real" pirates fighting from their ships.

Your choices will also determine the length of this story. The sections are quite long, very intriguing and I HIGHLY RECOMMENDED this book. Have fun with your kids as you read aloud OR let your independent readers enjoy this for themselves. There are a few editing errors but nothing major and nothing that truly detracts from the story. Get involved in a good pirate adventure today! Clean, no bad language or inappropriate behavior.
on 19 June 2014
I'd already enjoyed "Once Upon an Island", and was looking forward to settling down to another interactive Potter story. Boy did this one not disappoint! I loved the more detailed descriptions of everything - from the feel of edging my way into dark caves full of stalactites, to the creatures in the surrounding jungles, and the experience of sailing my own boat across to a mysterious island. Full of interesting facts along the way, this book is bound to fascinate young adventurers, and really leaves you feeling right in the midst of the exciting action. Did I find treasure? Well, that would be telling! Will I be going back to check out the other paths that I could have chosen? Yes, most certainly!

A great summer read for kids! Full of sun, sea, adventure, and friendship. Get it for your kids to enjoy over the long summer break. They will not be disappointed (and you can sneakily enjoy a read of it yourself too!)
on 23 June 2014
This has now become my favourite D M Potter interactive story. It's educational - great information on caves, butterflies and sailing for example, excellent way to learn new vocabulary - my slugs were stumped on a few occasions, and most of all, it's challenging and fun. On my adventure, I went to the beach then found a cave, went up to the fortress and sailed over to an island where, something quite odd happened. I shan't say more! The pacing is excellent and the tension just builds and builds. Definitely one to buy!

Elias Zapple, author of Duke & Michel: The Mysterious Corridor: 1
on 21 September 2014
These stories allow your child to make decisions and affect the outcome of the story! It really gave me insight as to how my granddaughter thinks. She chose all the riskier choices which resulted in her having to restart at one point. She had a blast going through the adventure and loved it when she found the treasure at the end. I would love to read more of DM Potter's book with her.
on 9 June 2014
I remember enjoying these choose your own ending type story books when I was younger, so it was really thrilling finding this very well written (pick your own path) book. Reading this was so much fun! It almost felt like being inside the story and exploring this island myself. I highly recommend picking this up. You won't be putting it down soon!
on 13 April 2015
This book took me on a great adventure! I chose to look for the Pirate's treasure of course. It was an adventure that took me to several parts of the island. I loved making the choices and also going back later to try it another way. That way I could check out all of the outcomes! It's a great fun and a book I will read over and over again.
on 15 June 2014
Delven behind the stunning cover of this book to enter a world of Pirates and islands to search and discover. This interactive book asks the reader to decide where the search for the pirate treasure continues. Climb the ladder? Dive into the cave? You decide.