on 4 October 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It is an excellent plot and a good conclusion. Perhaps the style of writing is a little amateur and verbose on occasions but I suppose if I class it as a good read then so what. The one thing I did not like was the throwing in of all the various local places. Coming from Cardiff myself I found this distracted from the story. It seemed the author was trying to promote the city at the expense of the book.
on 18 June 2017
Not a bad debut book at all.. it helps when you know all the Cardiff locations !
on 3 December 2012
Having been to Cardiff lots with work, its always interesting to read about places you have visited and the story is a fast paced grisly thriller, just the sort I enjoy. The descriptions of the area around Cardiff and the background details of the characters were really interesting. Really enjoyed the story and the characters developing but honestly don't think I will be reading any more in the series as it seems like nobody proof read it, and it is quite distracting. Often I had to read sentences a couple of times to get the sense of them as they were so long, with no commas, and poor use of paragraphs, as well as some basic spelling mistakes.

Please Wonny - get someone to read it through, use more punctuation and paragraphs,and I will be delighted to carry on following the adventures of DCI Phelps and DC Pryor!
on 10 August 2013
Awful prose style - sorry. Reads like a piece of work from a GCSE student, with laborious descriptions of people to try and bring them alive. That never works, characterisation is all about behaviour, not giving a lengthy back story and describing their clothes. I couldn't get into it at all for that reason
on 3 January 2012
I must confess I loved the setting, I live in Cardiff, and thought it was brilliant to recognise the places, even down to working on one of the roads mentioned, and living in the area.It made a nice change, and its the first book I could identify with like this.However, if thats all I wanted I could have bought a travel guide to Cardiff, so there had to be more to hold my interest, and there was.I enjoyed the story and the characters, and the development of the plot, I would say it was a great first effort, and look forward to reading more books by this author.
on 21 August 2014
SPOILER ALERT - I'm a big fan of whodunnits and was looking forward to this... Sadly, it's far too contrived and predictable for me - the author's attempts at making the the supporting cast sound interesting fall very short, much like a Matrix sequel. And how much longer must we be exposed to individuals who are "the most brilliant professor in the country" or "the most gifted officer on the police force", it would be nice if someone focused on real professionals who are not the "absolute best" in their field. As it turns out, these individuals are clearly not brilliant and only their incompetence prolongs the end. The longer this story went on, the less interested I became and it was a relief to finally get to the end (no mean feat). BIG SPOILER - the title of the book pretty much gives it away. Needless to say, I will not be reading any more of this author's novels.
on 14 September 2013
When I spotted this crime novel set in Cardiff I was looking forward to a good read, taking my back to the area where I come from. However....

Let's start with the positives - the story is actually not that bad, the characters are somewhat wooden but the inter-linking of the various protagonists moves along at a reasonable pace. Plenty laid out there for the basis of an ongoing series. As you move into the book, the less positive aspects become more and more evident. Character names which appear to have been plucked from an open newspaper, an ending which is really rushed through and really the gritty side of Cardiff never shines through. The main issue though is the quality of the writing itself. As highlighted in previous comments, the grammar is very basic and the sentence construction is rudimentary - it took me a while to work out what was irritating me about the book - then it came to me - it is not very well written! The author appears to have good ideas for plots etc but lacks the technical prowess to turn out the end product - as someone else mentioned, it feels like it was written by an average GSCE student and not a published author. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but when you compare this to more polished authors the lack of writing ability leaps of the page.

Cannot recommend this one and will not be moving on to the others in the series
on 14 August 2013
Afer about 13/% of the text we are finally introuduced to the detetctives. Most of what was revealed there by 'Paula' (who came across as a drip of the first order should have come out when she is intervieed later by the detetcives. The astonishingly cosy style suggests it should be read to us (with mugs of cocoa) by)Nanny round a warm nursery fire. Idiotic to lumber a setective story with sentences of 50, 60 even 80 words which slows the pace to under 15mph (just right for outside the primary school ?) I am astonished that what is very obvioulosy a first effort was not strenthened by rigorous intervention from the publisher's editor. Althougfh I suspect the author inteneds to show the Cardiff police a a good light, it comes across as mawkish, patronising the reader and boring the pants off him/her; It would be worth the author reading Peter James, whose appreciatioation of the dedication and integrity Sussex police is far better handled. I shall shall certainly not read any others this series. , Although I certainly don't like it, it lacks enough of anything positive to be merit hating. Sorry
on 20 May 2014
I downloaded this book as I live in Cardiff and I thought it would be interesting as I know the area.I was very disappointed with this book it was badly written,lots of spelling and grammatical mistakes and the story line was awful too many descriptions of things and hardly any dialogue between characters I felt like it had been written by a complete amateur ! I only read a few chapters and gave up.
on 1 March 2013
This book was one of those recommended by Amazon based on books I read. Initially I didn't purchase it because although a frequent visitor to Cardiff Bay the picture on the front did not inspire me or capture my imagination. However, since purchasing a kindle I have been reading books at such a rate that I remembered this book and thought I would give it a go as I live near Cardiff and I like recognising places in books. Overall I enjoyed reading it and would certainly read another. My only frustrations are that the author clearly hadn't researched adoption properly but then that is my specialist subject so other people are unlikely to pick up on the the discrepancies