on 25 December 2015
I really don't know what to think about this book, it confused the hell out of me, but i really couldn't put it down.
We all know the Alice in Wonderland stories, but this turns it all on its head. Alice is an inmate in a horrible Lunatic Asylum, spending most her time getting Electric Shock Therapy, with only a tiger lily to keep her company. She’s there after killing all her friends in a bus accident. She ends up hooking up with Professor Carter Pillar, another inmate who is also a serial killer. He persuades her that she is the real Alice and can catch the wonderland monsters wandering the country, disguised as normal people.
Her first task is to catch the Cheshire Cat, another mass killer. She, with Pillars help, leaves the asylum during the day, pretending to be an Oxford university student by day, returning to the asylum at night.
The book is completely insane. You're never quite sure what's real and what is going on in Alices head. It's really fast paced, incredibly easy to get into, and very hard to put down. There's hints on Tom Holt, Douglas Adams, and it has to be said Lewis Carroll in the writing. It's the first book in a series and I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes from there
on 29 June 2017
What a strange unusual book. Alice is in an asylum after killing her friends in a bus crash. She has lost herself and ends up being used by Professor Pillar a strange man in another part of the asylum a serial killer and capable of breaking out of the asylum anytime he chooses.
A walk in the mind of wonderland and a frabjous read!!
on 9 February 2017
Its a good read if like me you don't really know what you like. Madness. Murder. Imagination. And a fairly easy to follow story
on 10 November 2017
This was a very interesting twist using the classic novel. I'm so hooked I need to read the next book, yes it's that good!
on 31 August 2015
The best book I have ever read. I can't wait for Hookah to come out (4th book). I'm now reading Grimm Diaries prequels. Cameron Jace is an absolutely wonderful writer with a fab imagination.
on 1 October 2017
It was a waste of time really. Didn't like the ending. Not my cup of tea but others might enjoy it.
on 29 December 2013
This book was an different intake of Alice in wonderland but her as an teenager coping with what is real and what the mind takes as real - it has lots of twist and turns which I really enjpyed
on 26 July 2015
Brilliant, amazing, fantastic, frabjous indeed
on 26 July 2015
Strange but keeps you entertained wanting to read more
on 30 January 2014
A retelling of the Alice in Wonderland Story. Alice Wonder is in an insane asylum after, apparently, killing everyone in her class. I'm not sure if she is really responsible for the murders and the book didn't clear that up for me. Alice can't remember how, or why she killed her classmates. While she's been in the asylum, someone has been killing people and stitching their faces up so that they have a permanent grin. The killer has been named The Cheshire Cat. In the asylum, Alice meets a hookah smoking professor who also happens to be a serial killer. He's convinced she's the real Alice from Wonderland and the only person capable of stopping the Cheshire Cat.

This was one of the weirdest books I've ever read. The author incorporated most of the characters from Alice in Wonderland but changed things up. I loved the facts about Lewis Carroll that were scattered throughout the book, for example, I didn't know that Alice in Wonderland was originally called Alice's Adventures Under Ground. There was plenty of mystery; who is Jack Diamond and why is he following Alice? Is Alice the real Alice? By the end of the book I still didn't know, I guess I'll have to read the second book to find out. It was a wacky and fun read. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys retellings of fairy tales, or fans of Alice in Wonderland.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.