on 25 December 2015
I really don't know what to think about this book, it confused the hell out of me, but i really couldn't put it down.
We all know the Alice in Wonderland stories, but this turns it all on its head. Alice is an inmate in a horrible Lunatic Asylum, spending most her time getting Electric Shock Therapy, with only a tiger lily to keep her company. She’s there after killing all her friends in a bus accident. She ends up hooking up with Professor Carter Pillar, another inmate who is also a serial killer. He persuades her that she is the real Alice and can catch the wonderland monsters wandering the country, disguised as normal people.
Her first task is to catch the Cheshire Cat, another mass killer. She, with Pillars help, leaves the asylum during the day, pretending to be an Oxford university student by day, returning to the asylum at night.
The book is completely insane. You're never quite sure what's real and what is going on in Alices head. It's really fast paced, incredibly easy to get into, and very hard to put down. There's hints on Tom Holt, Douglas Adams, and it has to be said Lewis Carroll in the writing. It's the first book in a series and I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes from there
on 26 February 2017
I liked the concept of the story, throughout the novel we're not entirely sure what is actually happening and what is in Alice's head. There are however, some issues I had.

The story is mostly set in an asylum, it obviously touches on mental illness. Now, I don't believe that the author wanted to represent mental health in this novel, it's very much merged into a fantasy world. However, given how little mental health is shown in novels it does feel a bit off to use it as it has.

The other aspect I wasn't a fan of is that throughout the story we are very much told things rather than shown things. Its difficult to explain without spoiling the plot, but it felt like Alice didn't really think for herself she was just told what to do by others.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this book. I do like the concept of Alice in Wonderland based books however, so if you have any recommendations please let me know!
on 12 February 2016
Insanity review
After accidentally killing everyone in her class, Alice Wonder is now a patient in the Radcliffe Lunatic Asylum. No one doubts her insanity. Only a hookah-smoking professor believes otherwise; that he can prove her sanity by decoding Lewis Carroll's paintings, photographs, and find Wonderland's real whereabouts. Professor Caterpillar persuades the asylum that Alice can save lives and catch the wonderland monsters now reincarnated in modern day criminals. In order to do so, Alice leads a double life: an Oxford university student by day, a mad girl in an asylum by night. The line between sanity and insanity thins when she meets Jack Diamond, an arrogant college student who believes that nonsense is an actual science.

Insane version of Alice in wonderland those cute characters are far from cute and pretty insane and haven't even had the mad hatter in it yet.
So I started this book one afternoon and I just put our dinner on to cook to read this ....
How to read this book: Begin at the beginning and go until you come to the end; then stop.
So told kids and husband (basically extra child) that their dinner will burn as I'm not stopping till then..... The author said I can't stop lol I did have a 20 min break to eat and finish of dinner ect. Don't waorry I didn't burn the flat or there dinner.
I love the quotes from this book the detailed scenes and the the funny and insane ideas that make you think. With a twist of murder history around the original story and the characters and abit of mystery to keep you intrigued.
I love this version of Alice I love the way at first she wasn't sure if she was loopy or not but she's coming out of her self and growing to become a kick arse character on a mission to save people.
Sane is mundane, Insanity is the new black.
Yeap I think once you read this you will agree being sane is sooo last yr.
A very good read and look forward to reading the rest in this series I doubt I'll be able to watch the Disney version with the kids ever again .
on 4 September 2015
I liked the plot of this book, however at times it seemed like Jace was scrambling at straws to fill in plot. But that isn't to say I'm not going to read the sequels! I really like the setting, especially as a student at Oxford however, almost immediately you can tell that the author is American (if we don't take his name into account).

There are many bazaar Americanisms that don't fit with the book set in England. For example the use of a 'college freshman' or having the FBI looking for characters? Moreover there are many inaccuracies that perhaps would have been harder for Jace to find out about. For example he rights about 'students rushing out of another bus'. No Oxford students will likely ever take the bus (unless it's for something out of town which is unlikely or to go to the hospital). He also writes about Alice finding herself 'pushed through the main entrance {of Christchurch college} with them {the students}' which is again highly unlikely, there is never a rush of students through the entrance of a college. The inaccuracies spoil the book, however if you are an american that hasn't been to Oxford then enjoy!
on 29 June 2017
What a strange unusual book. Alice is in an asylum after killing her friends in a bus crash. She has lost herself and ends up being used by Professor Pillar a strange man in another part of the asylum a serial killer and capable of breaking out of the asylum anytime he chooses.
A walk in the mind of wonderland and a frabjous read!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 December 2015
If you like Alice in Wonderland this is the perfect book for you.

If you do not like Alice in Wonderland this is also a really good book for you.

I am not a big fan of Alice but I decided to try this new twist to the widely known story. I must say that the author knew how to captivate me. I loved the sanity/insanity view of everything. It is very well written and it has a lot of details that I had never taken into account before. It is interesting the way that the author makes the characters interact with each other. Very good version of what the world is.
on 5 January 2014
One of the strangest books I have read within the last 3 years, and it was well worth the wait!

The spelling mistakes were slightly irritating, but they were few and far between, so it didn't put me off the flow of the book too much. I have the kindle version, so the paperback may be edited better.

The subject of reality and delusion fascinates me. It's actually a subject that's quite close to my heart.

I do love retellings of classic stories and fairy tales, and this book is right up there with the best ones I have EVER read. An absolutely frabjous (am I spelling it right?) book!

Well deserving of a full 5 stars. I'm so glad to know that there will be a second instalment. I had been worried that it would all end far too quickly for my liking, and Cameron Jace hasn't disappointed. I look forward to the continuation!

Alice, Pillar and Jack Diamonds are entertaining and actually rather surprisingly deep characters. The Mad Hatter is always a favourite in my head, so I was sad to hear that he's somewhat of a villain in this scenario. Tim Burton's Hatter and Hatter in Frank Beddor's 'Looking Glass Wars' are some of the best characters I have ever had the pleasure of learning about, but Alice makes up for it in this book all on her own, in my opinion. Pillar is wonderful, as well!

As I've said before, I can't wait for the sequel!
on 3 August 2015
I finished this book today and am still not sure how I truly feel about it. It's mad, crazy and quite sinister. You will need to stick with it as at first you are plunged into Alice's world in the asylum and it bounces about quite a bit and you're never sure what parts are real or not. I think this is what the author was aiming for and he pulled it off. I am going to give it a few days and then decide if I'm going to downloaded the next book as I do want to discover more about Alice and the wonderland monsters.
on 30 August 2014
I really enjoyed this book, would have prefered to have it set more in wonderland but the different take on the Alice story did work.
All the characters seemed to fit in to the human world while retaining some wonderland qualitys.

I think Alice needed a little more personality she just seemed to be lacking that humpf.
The research for this book was well good I even checked on the cat throwing.
I really liked the Cheshire Cat but I would have preferred a wonderland setting.
I will read the next 1. The characters were just so weird that it appealed to me
on 16 October 2015
This author weaves an amazing story, and really does bring the wonder of wonderland into the real world with ease. It flows, you want to know more, and you feel yourself falling down the rabbit hole with very little resistance (even though there is no actual rabbit hole in this story). It's witty, well-written, and there is an easy investment into every character. I can see this as a movie, and can't wait to read book 2 to see what happens next on this insane ride.